Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Configurations and Colors / Material

john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
Anyone know a way to configure colors and material?

I want to be able to show the different part as a separate color because the parts look very similar.

material is a bonus at this point, but I'm sure it will be the same solution as color.
Tagged:

Best Answers

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Answer ✓
    @john_mcclary

I did not see this right away either - 
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Yea I went through that area, didn't see "Appearance" there.

Thanks

Answers

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Answer ✓
    @john_mcclary

I did not see this right away either - 
    www.accuratepattern.com
    Answer ✓
    Yea I went through that area, didn't see "Appearance" there.

Thanks
    edited January 2018
    Sorry must have miss phrased that last post.

I didn't see appearance the first time i checked before posting the intitial question. I was looking for 'color' instead :)
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Guys, this is so well implemented and easy to use that I'm having a hard time justifying my salary.  Could you at least make it look complicated? :p

In all seriousness that is very well done.  I love that any company custom properties appear in the "configurable" list, that's outstanding.

Can I assume that at some time in the future we'll be able to configure one property based upon the value of another another?  (Say I have a custom property of "Production Line", and then want to automatically set the appearance based on that rather than an explicit value in a table?)

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    I am having a problem with assemblies though..

The colors and part names do not update in assemblies to match what is in the part studio
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    @john_mcclary
    Please file a ticket and we'll take a look.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
    @john_mcclary
    Please file a ticket and we'll take a look.
    just did thanks
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    I am having a problem with assemblies though..

The colors and part names do not update in assemblies to match what is in the part studio
    It does the same thing in the drawings with the part properties on the drawing.
    I have to right click, then select sheet properties and say that that part is the reference part.

mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    Jason_S said:
    @mbartlett21
    Regarding the drawing issue:
    When making a drawing right now the sheet reference is set at the configuration that the sheet was created at and you cannot change it without fiddling with the sheet reference. This issue is known, is already fixed and will be available be in the next release. 
    Thanks.

When will it be released?

Also, when I go into sheet properties, the only reference I can update the reference to has the name from the old configuration.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Brandon_ChiouBrandon_Chiou Member Posts: 2 PRO
    Tangential to @owen_sparks ' comment: currently, it seems as if configured part properties must be manually assigned to permutations as set under the configurations tab. Is it possible to not have to do this manually?

In context: 
    I am looking to add color as a configuration input to avoid manually assigning specific colors to permutations of these two sets. Am I missing something here?

Thanks!
  • René_SartorioRené_Sartorio Member Posts: 58 PRO
    Hi all, I am trying to build a simple standard part for our part library. 
    To configure are mainly: thread diameter, length, material/color, part number, text1 and text2. 
    About the cool Onshape way with "Configurations Tabels" I have not made it so far. (see image V1_B1 and V1_B2) For this to work properly I would have to create all possible configurations in the "Configured properties" which makes the "Tabels" useless again.

With test two I simply created a stupid list which shows all possibilities. So that the columns are described properly I rebuilt the model tree. (see picture V2_B1)
    So that material and color are correct, I manually entered everything into the "Configured Properties". This way works. (see picture V2_B2)

Is this the only way or can Onshape do it smarter?

Friendly greetings 

V1_B1

V1_B2

V2_B1

V2_B2

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    hi @rene_sartorio
    I made a Part Name feature (pretty much borrowing and building on Part Number by @NeilCooke). I also made Part Color. With these two, you can add any name or color info to the main configurations tables instead of having to configure every possible permutation for the properties. in the Part Name document there's an example part studio that's configured with an example. I think it should solve your problem.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • René_SartorioRené_Sartorio Member Posts: 58 PRO

Thank you @Evan_Reese

Your solution will work.

However, I encountered another problem. Not all lengths are available in all diameters. This means that you would have to define a max. and min. length per diameter. I do not want to make the component unnecessarily complicated. It should be easy to use for every employee in the company. And if it is to be extended by a variant, all employees must simply understand how the configurations are built up. I think I'll stick with the simple (silly) list for now. This is comprehensible and expandable for everyone.

I wonder if there are posts in this forum on the subject:

How to build a simple parts library for a company in Onshape?

If not i would like to open the topic in a separate thread.

Greetings

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    @rene_sartorio
    It definitely becomes tough when you have a configuration variable that might allow options that don't exist. For now, I think just a big list is the way to go, unfortunately. Eventually it would be awesome if the devs made a way to do more complex configuration setups that might allow for a lookup table which would solve your problem too. (Lookup tables are how the hole feature is made so you can only find metric hardware once you pick ISO, etc). I've made a hardware library for our company, Ovyl, which I intend to make a whole video about at some point. For now, I do talk a bit about it in my Featurescript Variables tutorial, and at least that part might be useful to you. Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB43P7LqkHw&lc=UgxvFYRmjgBQfudnoe14AaABAg.9Rm6oC-ZCsa9Rp7-UKvR7i
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl