Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

DO YOU HAVE A NICE MODEL TO SHOW? (DYHANMTS_2018)

3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
edited February 2018 in Community Support
If you have somehow nice model, post a link and screenshot (or just something you are allowed to show) and I will reward you with forum points by marking your post as an answer (all rights forgetting to do this reserved).

Discussion can live in same thread since model content (best answers) will be on top of the list.

See also previous 2017 thread: 
https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/7064/do-you-have-a-nice-model-to-show-dyhanmts-2017/p1

Remember to bookmark :star: page since forum rolls out pretty quickly these days! 
//rami

Best Answers

Answers

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @3dcad

Can I put Featurescript features on here as well as models?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Sure, anything you like to share with community.
    //rami
    Great work @michael_stalls - always pleasure to see your progress..

@mbartlett21
    I would like to see what tempted you to create 'fillet all' feature? This is pretty visual thread so there's no such thing as too many screenshots =)
    I remember there is some sort of community FS thread, remember to post there too!
    //rami
    edited February 2018
    @3dcad

I saw the example of a feature definition here and decided to expand on it.

I have now released version 2.7, which adds documentation to the feature.
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • andyshinselandyshinsel Member Posts: 2
    This is my first try at a model with configurations. It is a configurable wood screw. Any suggestions are welcome, especially concerning how to improve regeneration time.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d25b7c44f5b2097208b30811/w/72cde0665bc08da30b09e1cd/e/7252a3f51ba58bbf7b33275d
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi @andy_shinsel052 !

This is awesome!  I have a couple suggestions to improve regen times.  Instead of using "Feature pattern" for "Cross pattern", use "Part pattern".  Part pattern and face pattern are much faster and simpler operations than feature pattern.

Here's a document with that adjustment:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3b0a3a561c1828a0237dfddf/w/208738658aa8afeaa143c9bc/e/79169fa50235c4063b1a8f90
    (I had to also fix up the input boxes for "Pan cross transform", "Oval cross transform", and "cross removal")
    Another small suggestion here is that you could just have one "Cross transform" feature whose "Distance" input was configured on the "Head style" configuration, rather than using multiple features with suppression.  This is just a different way of thinking about it though, and your solution works great!

The other suggestion I would make is to do the threads last.  Your "Simple" vs. "Detail" threading is very cool!  But, any type of boolean onto the screw (this includes any "Add"s in material-creating features) after doing the threads will be very slow:

This slowness comes from the significant complexity added to the part by the threads.  If you were to do the "Threads" feature last, the "Oval Head" feature would probably be on the order of singles or low tens of milliseconds, and the "Threads" feature would not take noticeably longer.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited March 2018
    Hey again @andyshinsel ,

I suspect that the difference in initial speed between your and mine was because I took my timings after making the "Part pattern" optimization.  The geometry calculations that these are timing represent are happening on remote servers, so 'your computer' and 'my computer' are the same (at least for this part of the application).  The only thing that will differ between us is network and graphics performance (load times, frame rates, etc.).  The difference could also just be random, sometimes those numbers wiggle a little bit.

As for your two questions:

Performance documentation:
    We don't yet have a formal document on 'Best modeling tips on performance'.  I asked around and everyone thinks this would be a great idea!  Please go to the 'Improvement Requests' section of this forum and add a request for this.  (Adding the request will help us bump the priority of making this document).

FeatureScript:
    Interesting question.  Short answer: maybe. Long answer: It seems like you're asking whether the 'if's and 'else's representing your configurations are slowing down the part studio.  They are not.  The timings you see there are the full regeneration time of the geometry of the currently selected configuration.  If you were to have an unconfigured part studio of a wood screw that matched one of  configurations, it would not take any noticeably different amount of time for the configured and unconfigured part studios to regenerate. 

BUT: programming in FeatureScript could give some minor performance improvements around the operations themselves.  For example,  take a look at 'helix':
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/12312312345abcabcabcdeff/w/a855e4161c814f2e9ab3698a/e/a80a05e9b600481ba245f9b3
    When you press the 'helix' button, the 'helix' function is called.  A bunch of math and logic is done to determine what inputs to use in a call to the 'opHelix' function, which is a built-in function that makes helices.  If you were to write this whole thing as one custom feature, you could just call 'opHelix' directly and skip all the calculations involved in calling 'helix'.  So, you may get a minor performance enhancement.  That being said, most of the computation time is spent actually building the geometry (inside the call to opHelix), so the performance enhancements are pretty minor.

@ilya_baran probably has opinions on this one as well.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    Basically what Jake said.  Keep in mind that our standard features are all written in FeatureScript, so there isn't a fundamental difference.  I would not expect that writing this as a custom feature would help regen performance: the regen bottleneck is the sweep feature, which does no computationally intensive work except calling opSweep and opBoolean.  I don't think there's a way to optimize that.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is a video of the Steam Engine being tested:  https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=JX-DtHuRxO4
    edited March 2018
    In 2012 -2013 I designed a stationary steam engine to develop some Solidworks skills.  A couple of years ago I lost all my Solidworks files when a computer failed (Dell needs to learn how to transfer heat from the CPU Chip).  My backup system failed during a restore. 
    @chrisjh777

Awesome!!!

If you want the animation to look really good, you can right-click on the mate and select animate.
    I chose 1080 for the end value and 3000 for the steps.
    Then I clicked play, waited a while, then just watched.

It looks even better with perspective turned on, and in shaded without edges mode.
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    @mbartlett21

Thanks for the kind words.  There was a lot of blood sweat and tears go into this project.  I' really like to see others take the challenge and build one.  Good thing is there are no castings, and all materials are readily available.  Good project for a home shop or anyone interested in steam engines.

You can also animate the lubricator Needle Valve with the cylindrical mate associated with the Screw Mate.  Try 7.5mm of linear movement and watch the Needle Valve "screw" in.  I added a small dot on the head of the needle valve so you can watch the rotation.
    @chrisjh777

It says "mate over defines the assembly" and I can't animate it 
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    @mbartlett21

I'm not sure what is going on here in the top level.  If you follow the tabs to Sub Assys, Mid Level Assys, Lubricator Assy and Animate the cylinder mate it works fine.  I must have a mate somewhere in the top level assembly that over defines.

I'll look into it later.  Have a look at the Lubricator Assembly itself and it works just fine.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Cool Soyuz @john_mcclary!!
    Thanks michael! dito! I only posted it this early to give myself incentive to complete it :) Looks like you are a stickler for detail. Do you build/fly any of your designs? or are they drawn for a hobby?
  • michael_stallsmichael_stalls Member Posts: 59 PRO
    They were done to be used as the basis of a full scale flying replica. i Had to make some drawings of the wings and flaps of the aircraft above and then i decided to go ahead Model the rest of it  too! both types have a fair bit in common. I have done a model of the single racer version too. There is little in the way actual technical data available for these so it was all done from measurements and photos.
    @john_mcclary @michael_stalls
    Amazing stuff guys!
    //rami
    @Mr_GK
    Cool!
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Mr_GKMr_GK Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    @Mr_GK
    Cool!