Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Sheet Metal is Coming!

2»

Comments

• steve_maiettasteve_maietta Member Posts: 54 PRO

Maybe I'm just missing it, but is there a way to insert the flat pattern into a drawing?

~Steve
    Pssst. Try right clicking on it...  ;)

Owen S.
    DOH!!

thanks!
    ~Steve
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO

I am enjoying having a play, I like how you can vary the bend radius in the table and it auto updates to the model and flat pattern.

I even managed to get a nice flowing 50mm radius around that chamfered corner. 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Marc_MillerMarc_Miller Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    @NeilCooke  Could you share that cardboard box document?  I just had a chance to start exploring sheet metal this evening but am not getting how to do the overlapping "flaps" part of a box like that.  Thanks.

• Marc_MillerMarc_Miller Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    Thank you @NeilCooke, I understand how to do this sort of folding with overlapping flaps now.

• jim_7jim_7 Member Posts: 2
    Sheet metal and weldments - getting close to saying so long to SW!
  • antti_tuomistoantti_tuomisto Member Posts: 2
    Very cool, is this already available for IOS app or whar is the expected release date?
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    @antti_tuomisto typically iOS and Android apps are a few weeks behind. We get the new features working on browser first, then all we need to do is create the UI on mobile to be able to use the new features. You can edit features created on browser now, on mobile, just not create new sheet metal features.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Hendrik_Hendrik_ Member Posts: 43 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Ok. It's awesome.  Well done!

But (and it's a my big but), can we flatten a curved shape?  We have 3x 0.9mm plates that get interlocked in the flat position and then 'bent' / 'curved' (by hand) to form a cylinder.  Since there is no bend line as such, how could we achieve this?

And if you're wondering, we design in the 'bent' / interlocked position. From there we have to flatten.

Many thanks,
    Hendrik
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    edited February 2017
    @Hendrik_  not at this time, but we will in the future. It is possible to create HVAC type square to round where the curve is approximated on a press brake.

Please add or vote for an existing enhancement request in the category on the right --->

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    @NeilCooke, "It is possible to create HVAC type square to round where the curve is approximated on a press brake."  Not sure how to do that but I'll mess around.

Is it not possible perhaps to use a radius that is bigger than the part being bent?  I'll play with it...

I'll certainly vote for that because there are many cut cylindrical sheet metal applications.

Keep up the good work!

Hendrik
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just wanted to give you guys a Kudos for the roll out of sheet metal. The conversion from a solid to sheet metal is amazing and so intuitive. I have been using sheet metal CAD tools since 2000 (mainly Solid Edge) so I can get pretty picky when evaluating sheet metal features. However your approach to converting a solid to a sheet metal is a game changer for me. Working at a job shop I receive many 3D solid parts that I have to break down and convert to several sheet metal parts so the parts can be laser/plasma/water jet cut, then press brake bent, and finally welded together to resemble the solid model the customer sent. Your approach will same me a lot or time and sometimes frustration.

Any thoughts in creating a sheet metal section in the forum?

Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

NeilCooke said:
    Thanks @NeilCooke but unfortunately not applicable in our case it seems.
    This seems to be closer: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/25928#Comment_25928
    Need to investigate further.
    Best,
    Hendrik

• reggie_piercereggie_pierce Member Posts: 1
    Is there any way to create formed features (i.e. where the sheet metal has been stretched to get to it's final shape)? I'm trying to model a very simple electronics enclosure that has embossed features on the four sides. I made the bulk shape using solid modeling, but OnShape won't convert it the way I want because it reports that the model can't fold flat.

In the linked document, I have 5 parts where I really want one:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a43bda7d717cb347c30d5404/w/3e443a6dea8a8f8ee6f92d86/e/3104b261e08a3f703db9ce16

Is there any way to do this in OnShape? Can i tell OnShape it's ok that it doesn't fold flat? Is this feature planned?
  • antti_tuomistoantti_tuomisto Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2017
    Any news regarding IOS app and sheet metal?
  • cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
    Is there any way to create formed features (i.e. where the sheet metal has been stretched to get to it's final shape)? I'm trying to model a very simple electronics enclosure that has embossed features on the four sides. I made the bulk shape using solid modeling, but OnShape won't convert it the way I want because it reports that the model can't fold flat.

In the linked document, I have 5 parts where I really want one:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a43bda7d717cb347c30d5404/w/3e443a6dea8a8f8ee6f92d86/e/3104b261e08a3f703db9ce16

Is there any way to do this in OnShape? Can i tell OnShape it's ok that it doesn't fold flat? Is this feature planned?
    @reggie_pierce Yes, use the Finish Sheet Metal feature, then add your embossed features.  They will be ignored in the flat.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU

Perhaps we could use it to make the most awsome cardboard boxes in the world for our products? Sheetmetal sounds wrong for that, perhaps Cardboard-CAD, or Bendy-CAD? B)

@owen_sparks

Maybe you should use sheet metal to make paper models. :smiley:

mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Once we can draw on the flat pattern and then fold it then there might be some paper airplanes, which might end being cut and bent from aluminium plate...
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Jason_S said:

Perhaps we could use it to make the most awsome cardboard boxes in the world for our products? Sheetmetal sounds wrong for that, perhaps Cardboard-CAD, or Bendy-CAD? B)

@owen_sparks

Maybe you should use sheet metal to make paper models. :smiley:

:smiley:
    Cool!!

IR for AS/NZS 1100
    Wow, model of month candidate.
    HWM-Water Ltd
    edited March 2018
    Jason_S said:

@Jason_S

Is the document public??
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    @owen_sparks
    Maybe more like DYHANMTS candidate
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    @owen_sparks
    Maybe more like DYHANMTS candidate
    Good point!

Just noticed@Jason_S  has configurations in there too, very nice!!

Just need some method for colouring faces or adding decals and that would complete it!

Owen S.

HWM-Water Ltd
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @owen_sparks There is an improvement request for change colour on faces ;)  I think maybe even close to the top of the list now. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • don_williams909don_williams909 Member Posts: 138 PRO
    As I see it, the sheet metal still lacks some pretty basic functionality, which I'm sure will be there in the future.  Making countersinks/holes in the flat pattern etc.  Even the ability to make the part flat, add all the features, and then bend it or roll it.  The other function that would be great is a positive and negative set of "forms" for creating embosses or punches etc.  Basic functionality is pretty good so far.
    I do like the concept of being able to convert a solid model into a sheet metal part also.  When all the functionality is there, it will be great.
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    @don_williams909
    Even the ability to make the part flat, add all the features, and then bend it or roll it.
    Have you tried sketch in sheet metal flat, which can be subsequently used to add or remove material? Do you have a workflow not satisfied by this functionality?