Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements To Onshape - April 13th, 2018

bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
edited April 2018 in New in Onshape
EDIT: The Sheet Flyout improvement has temporarily been disabled due to performance issues.

This week not only has the arrival of warm weather in the Northeast but also, another Onshape update. Check out all the awesome new features that were added with this most recent update!  Let's dig in!

EDITING LINKED DOCUMENTS IN-CONTEXT

Onshape Assemblies now support the ability to edit and create  in-context geometry across linked documents. When returning to your top-level assembly from another document, Onshape gives you the option to automatically version the linked document and update the parent document to reflect those changes.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/ufu2ztc6u1?wvideo=ufu2ztc6u1

CONFIGURE SKETCH TEXT

With this update, we've added the ability to configure sketch text.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/w26q4beyyd?wvideo=w26q4beyyd

SHEET FLYOUT PANEL AND TAB

EDIT: This has temporarily been disabled due to performance issues.

In Drawings, we've redesigned the sheets flyout panel behavior to give you a better overview of the contents of views and their references. You can find the icon to open flyout panel on the left side of the screen, similar to our configuration, simultaneous BOM, and sheet metal panels. This change gives us a better foundation for future work.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/t9spxz1zsm?wvideo=t9spxz1zsm

ADJUSTING CONFIGURATION NAME COLUMN WIDTH

In the configuration panel you will now be able to adjust the width of the Name column to remove extra whitespace in your tables. This keeps the panel size to a minimum.

RELEASE MANAGEMENT FOR USERS THAT BELONG TO MULTIPLE COMPANIES

If you're part of multiple Onshape companies you will now find that a document's release management workflow will adhere to the release settings of the company that owns the document.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the Onshape Changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Do you have a great idea for a new feature or improvement in Onshape? Please post your ideas in the Onshape Forums or vote on existing feature requests to help us prioritize development.

Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
Twitter: @bradleysauln

Tagged:

Comments

• Andrew_Enslow_3DSAndrew_Enslow_3DS Member Posts: 40 ✭✭✭
    Thanks!
  • Bill_MartinBill_Martin Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Sorry, missed the mark this time.  Lame.

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Liking the configurable text, thanks folks.
    O.S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Nice Thanks!

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Cache_River_MillCache_River_Mill Member Posts: 225 PRO
    Thank you Onshape team! Keep up the innovative work!
  • shrekantshrekant Member Posts: 16 EDU
    great
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Onshape team
  • Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    So with the option #2 in the eidt in context linked doc command it does NOT create a new version of the linked doc and just stores the newly created "version" of the part in the linking it?
  • malay_kumarmalay_kumar Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 93
    Tony_C_ said:
    So with the option #2 in the eidt in context linked doc command it does NOT create a new version of the linked doc and just stores the newly created "version" of the part in the linking it?
    With option #2 'Go to assembly' no version is created at all. It is a simple switch back to assembly command where you came from. It could be useful if one realized that assembly is not in correct position or state and decided to not make complete edits as yet.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Nice, can't wait to get back to work after weekend =)

Thanks!
    //rami
  • larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    I have a curiosity question. Is there an assumption within the OS development team that a 40 second video on a complex new drawing/assembly feature is enough to get users up to speed on the feature? Or will there be further instruction on how to implement the new features for those of us who already find the versioning/branching/linking/in context paradigm extremely difficult to understand?
  • Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 210
    @larry_hawes here we quicky have an overview of what we added.

Have you checked out the Learning center? 
    We provide a lot of material to help out users there. https://learn.onshape.com

We also have help documentation. https://cad.onshape.com/help/

If you have any questions, our forum is a very friendly and helpful place to post questions. You will probably get a GIF or a document showing your answer within a couple hours. 

Support & QA
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @larry_hawes - To add to Jason's excellent answer, whilst we hope that the help documentation, learning center and forums will usually already have the answer available for you, it's nice to know that as a pro user, you have the ability to open a support ticket directly to let us know that you need help.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    .. Or will there be further instruction on how to implement the new features for those of us who already find the versioning/branching/linking/in context paradigm extremely difficult to understand?
    I agree that it can be difficult to come up with standard workflows to efficiently use Onshape features. I'm still a bit confused when to divide projects into multiple documents etc. and I've used Onshape for work over 3 years now.

I too would like to examine longer videos of complete projects where Onshape explains the workflow considering standard parts (subassemblies), configurations, in context stuff, performance, drawings, BOMs, sharing, addins like render / FEA etc.. you know the whole thing that we deal everyday.
    It's so easy to create & edit something that doesn't belong to anything.

But first things first, assembly configurations, please =)  
    //rami
  • bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    @3dcad & @larry_hawes have you had a chance to take a look through the technical briefings like this one? Or this one around versioning/branching?
    If so, let us know what other information you would like to have available to you to understand how to take full advantage of the versioning/branching/linking/in context. 

A video walking through a project is a good suggestion @3dcad.

I for one would not be the least bit offended if someone asked for help after struggling with a problem for 10 minutes, let alone for an hour  :)
    Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi @larry_hawes

For your specific problem, if sounds like the Plane feature may help you set up a mirror plane where you need it:
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/cplane.htm

Since you are a pro customer, you have access to our in-context learning center course:
    https://learn.onshape.com/courses/managed-in-context-design

This may help solidify your understanding of our approach to in-context design.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Is there a way to prevent the automatic "flyout"?  The tab is useful but dealing with an open flyout every time a drawing is opened is not.
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373

Is there a way to prevent the automatic "flyout"?  The tab is useful but dealing with an open flyout every time a drawing is opened is not.
    @bill_daniels Have you had the chance to experiment with this yet? The flyout will only automatically open on the first load of your document session. If you switch back and forth between tabs in that Document, the flyout will not automatically re-open each time. Once you leave the document and come back though, it will open the first time you visit the drawing again.

Keep in mind, the hotkey Ctrl-S can be used to quickly toggle this flyout open and closed.

• pmdpmd Member, Developers Posts: 63 PRO
    I too find this behaviour (flyout on every open doc) annoying - I normally want to just view the drawing most of the time so having to hide the flyout much more often than show it is the wrong default IMHO
  • bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    Bradley, 

It's true if I return to a drawing I have visited before in the current session, there's no flyout.  But, if I move to a new drawing or if I close the session and return to the same drawing upon re-opening, it does flyout.  I think most would prefer that it never flyout unless the tab is clicked.
    Very well handled, no complaints here.

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    I was kinda hoping for a surprise update for star wars day... Maybe the white backdrop in assemblies and part studios would look like a star field or something  :p