Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Version Naming Conventions

NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,376
Hi fellow FeatureScripters!

As you know, it can be a difficult task to find the original document that a custom feature was created in so you can add it to your toolbar. With so many copies of each document flying around, it can look something like this:

However, if you name your versions they stand out a little better - in the image above I have prefixed each version with "Official" or "Original". Any ideas for a better naming convention?

Also, it is worth renaming "Main" to "Official" for when searching for a document from the documents page. Open to suggestions if anybody has a better idea?

Thanks.
Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Comments

• Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Version naming can solve the problem to the some point, but you still can't be sure that it is original. Authors name field would give the best guarantee.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    Good idea @NeilCooke , As long as the message gets out to all the FS writers, and people who branch specify that as well.. It should help clear up who's is the original
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Also being able to add one's own branch in a public doc would cut down on the copies in the first place...

O.S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    lemon1324lemon1324 Member, Developers Posts: 223 EDU
    I can certainly go through and update version names on my scripts, but I think this is a more systematic issue.

Sorting search by links/copies would help, but really a more Github-like "fork/modify/pull request" workflow (where you can also follow links from forked copy to parent to find the original) would solve this both for FeatureScripts and geometry public documents.
    Arul Suresh
    PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    It seems like we think alike @owen_sparks =)=)

//rami
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    3dcad said:
    It seems like we think alike @owen_sparks =)=)

I'll chose to take that as a compliment, so thank-you  :p

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd