Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

normal/ flat chamfer

samuel_hollandsamuel_holland Member Posts: 30 PRO
edited August 2018 in Product Feedback
In order to remove knife edges from an injection molded part I usually resort to either extruding a flat section or adding a chamfer and adjusting the angle until it is parallel with a reference surface. I would like to be able to select an edge and use a "add flat" tool (or a better name?) similar to chamfer and fillet. I think a selection of edges, a surface parallel or perpendicular for reference, and a width are the only inputs needed.

For example, selecting the edge below and choosing a reference plane (top in this case), and a value of 1mm will add a 1mm wide flat to the edge here. Some molded parts may have dozens of regions that would benefit form a tool like this

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Psst, you can vote for your own IR's ;) 

Owen S
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • samuel_hollandsamuel_holland Member Posts: 30 PRO
    Psst, you can vote for your own IR's ;) 

Owen S
    good call!
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Sure thing, most of us were blissfully unaware of this for ages.

Owen S
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @samuel_holland Is this something you have seen with chamfer before?  This seems like a very specific request that is PRIME for a FeatureScript to solve.  I have not seen a chamfer tool have a reference edge option before but I wonder if this is something that could be specific for molded part cleanup.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
    Never seen it before, but it's something we have been discussing at our company as a time saving feature we'd love to see. 
    I'm not very savvy with featurescript, but would greatly appreciate this feature!
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @samuel_holland At this time we will not be adding this to our chamfer tool directly but it is prime for a custom FS tool to be written. I would try posting in our FeatureScript category and see if someone could write it for you.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
    Thanks Lou,
    I'll give it a shot!
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @samuel_holland

Do you plan on only doing this for linear edges?  If not, will the edge always be planar? If so, will the plane the edge lies in be parallel to the reference surface?  If not, could you provide an example of some complicated geometry that you would like this to work on?
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,305
    That sounds an awful lot like @Jake_Rosenfeld is rising to the challenge!
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Great stuff @mbartlett21 !
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    @mbartlett21
    It works!
    Is there any way to change the "offset" value to the actual width  of the flat instead?

Thanks so much
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @samuel_holland

Sorry, I haven't got around to that yet 
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100