Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Standard content component requests

Comments

• Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 210
    Hi all. With our latest releasewe just added 35 new fasteners.

DIN Bolts screws and nuts
    Hex set screw with half dog point and flat cone point DIN 564
    Hex set screw fine pitch with half dog point and flat cone point DIN 564
    Hex set screw with full dog point DIN 561
    Hex set screw fine pitch with full dog point DIN 561

PH Pan head cross recess screw with collar DIN 967
    PZ Pan head cross recess screw with collar DIN 967

Cross recessed pan head tapping screw DIN EN ISO 7049
    Cross recessed flat head countersunk tapping screw DIN 7050
    Cross recessed oval head raised countersunk tapping screw DIN 7051 
    Cross recessed pan head tapping screw with collar DIN 968 

Hex socket head cap screw DIN 912
    Slotted pan head screw with shoulder DIN 923
    Lifting eye bolt DIN 580
    Eye bolt DIN 444
    Wing screw DIN 316

Square head bolt with collar DIN 478
    Square head bolt with short dog point DIN 479
    Square head bolt collar and dog point DIN 480

Square nut grade C DIN 557
    Square weld nut DIN 928
    Square thin nut grade B DIN 562

Hex nut style 2 grade A & B DIN EN 24033
    Hex nut style 2 grade A & B fine pitch DIN EN 28674
    Hex thin nut fine pitch grade A & B DIN EN 28675
    Hex thin nut grade A & B DIN EN 24035 
    Hex nut style 1 grade C DIN EN 24034
    Hex nut style 1 grade A & B fine pitch DIN EN 28673
    Hex nut style 1 grade A & B DIN EN 24032 

Sheet metal fasteners (NAS)
    Hex head self-locking clinch nut NASM 45938/2
    Self-locking clinch nut without self-locking threads NASM 45938
    Self-locking clinch nut with self-locking threads NASM 45938

Plain clinch flush nut NASM 3214
    Self-clinching flush nut NASM 45938/4

Self-clinching blind standoff NAS 1129
    Self-clinching thru standoff NAS 1129

As always, keep asking for more.
    Support & QA
    @Gib_Jeffries :
    1. Not yet on company-wide management permissions. Can you submit an improvement request so we can get this prioritized? 
    2. What do you mean by 'thread pitch'? Most fasteners have them, especially when there is more than one pitch available. I just want to be sure I know what you are asking.
    Support & QA
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    Jason_S said:
    @Gib_Jeffries :
    1. Not yet on company-wide management permissions. Can you submit an improvement request so we can get this prioritized? 
    2. What do you mean by 'thread pitch'? Most fasteners have them, especially when there is more than one pitch available. I just want to be sure I know what you are asking.
    2. Currently selecting an ISO or DIN screw does not show the thread pitch. I would assume that means only coarse threads are available. But you know what assuming means? I, personally, would rather know for sure the pitch, even if I don't have a choice. ANSI screws show the tpi with the size.
    Yup, that is what I thought he meant. I will get this fixed to make it more clear.
    Support & QA
    Hi, everyone! With our new release we added:

Retaining rings:
    External retaining ring ANSI
    Internal retaining ring ANSI
    External heavy retaining ring DIN 471
    External retaining ring DIN 471
    Internal heavy retaining ring DIN 472
    Internal retaining ring DIN 472 

Pins & studs:
    Grooved T-head cotter pin ANSI
    Ground dowel pin ANSI
    Hardened ground production dowel pin ANSI
    Hardened ground machine dowel pin ANSI
    Slotted spring pin ANSI
    Straight pin ANSI
    Taper pin ANSI
    Round-Head grooved drive stud ANSI
    Parallel pin ISO 8734
    Parallel pin DIN EN ISO 8734

Keep the requests coming! We have big things in store for content very soon  :)
    Support & QA
  • Don_Van_ZileDon_Van_Zile Member Posts: 195 PRO
    edited September 2018

Good deal! Keep them coming. The retaining rings! ;)
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Jason_S said:
    Hi, everyone! With our new release we added:

Retaining rings:

Keep the requests coming! We have big things in store for content very soon  :)
    Firstly great work, standard content is coming along very nicely. So thanks for all the hard work.  :)

Secondly please may I request a web page cheat sheet with pictures of each part? This might sound daft but in the UK those are termed "circlips"; it would never have occurred to me to look for a "retaining ring". So as great as the work is I'd never have found it to make use of them  :(

Cheers Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, actually @owen_sparks it will appear in your BOM as "retaining ring whatever measure"  :/

So, We need to add our own Name and all the properties to this Standard content. Not only the description and part number
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "External heavy retaining ring DIN 471" will be the name, without size description...
    PD: Unfortunately our language (Spanish) has more differences with US English than the existing ones between US English and UK English
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
    @emagdalenaC2C, good points. Hopefully all in good time.

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Also I'm pretty sure a retaining ring is something a fiance gives to her man to keep other women away...
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @owen_sparks Agreed, their needs to a better way to find parts in standard content. I'd call it a circlip too. I find the standard content very hard to navigate and find things. For example, what the heck is a "prevailing torque nut"? 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    edited September 2018
    @owen_sparks Agreed, their needs to a better way to find parts in standard content. I'd call it a circlip too. I find the standard content very hard to navigate and find things. For example, what the heck is a "prevailing torque nut"?
    Hi Bruce. Yeah, we need an amnesty, "All the questions you wanted to ask about standard content but were too embarrassed to speak out loud".
    To make the point on the "prevailing torque nut" I too had no idea until seeing a photo and then it was easily recognizable.  (To give google a rest, it's a type of locking nut that locks via the metal deforming against the mating thread, used on things like exhaust manifolds where there is vibration but also too much heat for a nyloc.)
    I'm sure the Onshape bods are all over this.
    Cheers,
    Owen S.

HWM-Water Ltd

We need some pictures like these...

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    Off the wall request yet again...   Circlips, retaining rings whatever, need precise grooves.  It would be really cool if the act of placing a circlip with a Mate would generate an appropriate groove in the part.  Just thinking...
    edited September 2018
    Off the wall request yet again...   Circlips, retaining rings whatever, need precise grooves.  It would be really cool if the act of placing a circlip with a Mate would generate an appropriate groove in the part.  Just thinking...
    @bill_daniels - I like the way you're thinking! What I tried to do "manually" was add the groove sketch to the Retaining Ring/Circlip part so I could create the feature when I inserted it. I inserted it into as a Derived Part in a Part Studio because I needed to reference it for other features, but couldn't move the sketch later on. So I actually added the Groove Cut as solid body in the retaining ring documentto use a Boolean on it later.

It would be great if these purchased items or anything we wanted to define (i.e. mounting holes for x) could be defined or automatically created. In my retaining ring example above I would wanted to define this as the solid body to "remove" from other intersecting Part(s).

The other point is that my retaining ring document is the preferred part I would use now over the Standard Content because I've added design intelligence to it bring us back around to using/creating "our own Standard Library".

Hi all. Another Standard content request.

This flies in the face of the current convention but I'd appreciate a way of representing standard content in a partstudio

For me standard content is part of the design process, not something thrown in at the end to complete the BOM. I'll design my bespoke part to be thick enough to accept a standard length bolt and not have it stick out the far side for example...  Limiting SC to an assembly is too late in the design workflow.

I get that the PS is not the correct place for instancing so maybe a compromise is in order?  I've started making translucent space-representations of sub-assemblies that I'll derive into a PS instead of doing an in-context edit of an assembly.  Perhaps we could do that here.  We could insert a standard part into a partstudio, but it appears ghosted as if it were an ICE reference.

We have workarounds today of opening a blank assembly, inserting the SC, then ICE, then transform copy in place, then add mate connectors, then transform it to where we actually wanted it, but just typing that is tedious :p

Anyone else feel the need for standard content in a partstudio?

Cheers, Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
    @owen_sparks

So you are looking to choose which fasteners you are looking to use in the Part Studio. You aren't alone.

I personally know most of the fasteners I want to use before I even CAD my projects, so I totally feel you on this one. 

As you can probably guess, we have great things in mind in this area (@PeteYodis has strong feelings on this topic) and it is on the to-do list.
    Support & QA
    But in the meantime, check out all the great names and descriptions you have on standard content now

:) https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/10214/improvements-to-onshape-september-28th-2018
    Support & QA
    Great news on the part names, I like that a lot, and to hear that something will happen for the PS in the future is just what I was hoping for. 

Standard content is already good, and with a few more features it'll be awesome. 

Given the work ethic at Onshape I'll just let you good folks get on with it and stop nagging...

Thanks for your time,

Owen S.

HWM-Water Ltd
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Thanks Jason, I am really enjoying the new part names.  :)
    DIN 985 Class 6?
     Are these available?   

Support & QA
    I will find it and get it in
    Support & QA
  • wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    Could we have rivets, not sure what they should look like or how they would behave. 
    Here is a Mcmaster-carr part number 
    97550A315

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Is this how standard fasteners library will live? I was hoping that I could build my own library since furniture fittings are not that standard and can vary between manufacturers..
    I'd still hope I could use library function to add them without always mating manually.
    //rami
    Could we have rivets, not sure what they should look like or how they would behave. 
    Here is a Mcmaster-carr part number 
    97550A315

+1 for rivets.  I also needed these for the project I am currently working on. Ideally, I think the should be in the unformed state on but without the stem, that way unwanted inferences don't show up. 

3dcad said:
    Is this how standard fasteners library will live? I was hoping that I could build my own library since furniture fittings are not that standard and can vary between manufacturers..
    I'd still hope I could use library function to add them without always mating manually.
    Yes I am hoping it is opened up to users for adding their own content but also aware that this then makes it more complicated for the user when using unapproved stuff and mudding the waters with things that are outside a standard. I am also hoping to see vendor libraries but once again these could just complicate finding content which should effectively be the same, if to the standard across vendors.  
    As you guys know, you could for now have a standard parts document with mate connectors on the parts/subassemblies. Managing standard parts tech briefing in the Learning center explains how to do this.

Yes, it isn't in the Onshape standard content, but it is one step closer for now.

@brucebartlett So would you expect to put in the material thickness and hole size for rivets? And you don't care about rivet gun/tool clearance on the stem side?

Support & QA