Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

scaling an assembly?

fightingtorquefightingtorque OS Professional Posts: 10
I have an assembly - it is a logo/ badge consisting of several letters and a backing.  I want to bring this into a new part I am designing but I need to alter the size and aspect ratio to fit.  I could transform all the individual components and then rebuild it, but there is quite a lot of work in creating the assembly (each letter is positioned via 3 planar mates) so I would like to be able to bring that assembly into a part studio and transform it as a whole, is that possible?   
Ideally I would also like to perform some other mods to it (make the top curved by passing a curved "extrude remove" over it) so it would be best to have it in a part studio.  The individual letters were not sketched up in the current layout
Thanks,
Gav

Comments

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Yes - create an in-context part studio and 'transform/copy' each of the parts into the part studio.
    Transform also supports uniform and non uniform scaling as well as the moving of parts.

That said, modifying the letters before they are put into the assembly may be the easier way. 
    Hard to say without being able to see the document.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • fightingtorquefightingtorque OS Professional Posts: 10

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    I meant - if you share the document, 5 guys will fall over themselves to do it for you! 
    (it will take 5 minutes :))
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    Thanks.  It's here:  https://cad.onshape.com/documents/efbc8ac4efd8a15655539507/w/8f99d4e428d73d56f10c6871/e/9b32cfa75b42581d675cc177      

So the assembly of the letters into the backing pieces predates the component is now sat on.  If the letters and their backing could be scaled to fit the space for them, that is good.  If there was a way that it could be like that and in a part studio, that's also great / even better.
    Thank you - I am in a couple of meetings this morning - if no one beats me to it (likely) I will look a little later :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    @fightingtorque You've posted a link to a read only file, so we can't help.
    Please will you post to a public doc as per this https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9107/forum-post-checklist

@philip_thomas I tried a bunch of ways for searching for this document via the search in "my onshape" and was unable to find it.  Are you using the Amazon algorithm?  You know the one where you type "M6 bolt" and it shows you a picture of an elephant you might like to buy...

Cheers,

Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Hi Owen, I've set it to public now.
    thanks for looking! 
    Gav
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited October 2018
    Nice job Neil :+1:

Here's my effort.

Same as Neil's (blatant copy of his work) but with some custom feature script measurement variables to make it nice and parametric should the original part change size, and mullerage in height and width.

I had to rotate the part for the non uniform scale to be happy in x and y as that works off the document x/y/z orientation, that the part wasn't originally aligned to so that is a bit of a bodge.

Hopefully that gives you some more options.

Cheers,

Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    That's perfect, thanks!
      So I don't understand how you made the steps that brought the badge and letters into the existing part studio, generating those little arrows next to the transform command?
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Right-click the base part in the assembly and select edit in context - that will ghost the other parts over it, then you can use transform/copy in place and boolean to effectively create them in the same part/part studio.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    Thanks, got it!
    I am back - looks like 2 people already fixed it for you - also, thank you for the TWEET :) 
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    That's a nice looking part.
  • larson_atorlarson_ator Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2021
    I am trying to insert an assembly (Engine) to another assembly (go kart) , but the engine is too large to fit in the engine bay, and i need to apply a scale factor to the assembly, including standard content instances, there are a lot of bolts, screws, nuts, and washers in an engine, and it would be a pain to edit every single one in the engines source document.  and no, I can not change the scale of the kart because this was all designed together to fit certain parameters, and the engine size is the result of a mistake.  Does anyone know a way to do this?
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    to understand - you want to scale the engine assembly, correct?

If so, you should be able to follow philip_thomas original advice:
    Yes - create an in-context part studio and 'transform/copy' each of the parts into the part studio.
    Transform also supports uniform and non uniform scaling as well as the moving of parts.

Hard to say without being able to see the document.
    www.accuratepattern.com