Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

I need help with my Music Box

tarek_mustafatarek_mustafa Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
Hi Onshape Forum,
I started to model a Music Box (Crank Box) and reached my limits. I am new to CAD and don't know how to realise the following:

1. How can I get pins on the cylinder (Doesn't need be accurate, just random pins across the cylinder)
2. Is there a way to add a plane in the middle of the cylinder in order to mirror the yellow part?(Pic. 2) I only managed to get a plane in the wrong direction.
3. I see in many Onshape sample files screws and screw wholes. Is it common to import screws from e.g. GrabCAD and make the wholes in Onshape or how is this normally done?

I have made the model (Musik Box) public now and hope you can help me to answer above questions.

Thank you and best regards,
Tarek

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    Great Thank you Jake! Question 2 is answered.
  • Options
    Fantastic! I would definitely not be able to come up with this myself. Will check now and let you know the outcome. Thank you.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited May 2015
    I have another approach:
    1. Create circumscribed polygon in the place of rotating cylinder, set amount of sides to match amount of different angles you need for pins. Set dimension between opposite sides to be 'diameter of cylinder-x' (x can be anything, it's just for reference)
    2. Extrude in same length as cylinder 
    3. Click on faces of polygon and create circles or whatever geometry the pins are.
    4. Extrude in length x+outcome of the pin, choose ADD for extrude.
    5. Copy sketch to other faces and adjust placement. Yes I know you would like this, it's not possible yet but you can send feedback and request for 'Copying geometry between sketches' to make it higher priority.  So at the moment, repeat creating the sketch + extrude for each side of polygon.
    6. Sketch the final cylinder overlapping polygon and the pins leaving only the head visible, choose ADD for extrude
    7. Add fillet to all pins
    8. You should end-up with only 1 part, if not just boolean all together.

@tarek_mustafa I will add some screenshots if you are interested in this approach?

This is probably the most time consuming part in your design and just to remind: you are not able to spin the cylinder and see the movement of 'fingers' when they touch the pins of the cylinder - they will just move through at the moment.

@JakeRamsley @LouGallo @AbeFeldman
    I would love to see Ons pop those fingers when material is set to flexible, this would help to determine design problems in locks and other parts that temporarily bend/move to allow other parts movement 'through'. 
    //rami
  • Options
    Thank you 3dcat, yes I would be interested to see some screenshots if you have time for that, from the text alone I won't be able to follow you I am afraid. 
  • Options
    Thank you all for your various solutions, that is really great and definitely helped me to boost my Onshape learning curve. Much appreciated!
  • Options
    Thanks to all your help I managed to complete the cylinder with Pins. I combined your techniques and like to share now how I did it.

1. Draw and extrude a Polygon as described by #3dcat, I aligned it directly to the comb

2. Create a sketch on one of the polygon surface and add one circle for the pin, I used than linear pattern and dimension to allign the18 pins.

3. Extrude all pins (use "new") and add a fillet. After that I used "circular pattern" to make 5 copies of the pin row

4. I used the "Transform" - Rotate tool to move various pins around. I did that three time for this model.

5. Last I made another Sketch with a cylinder (slightly bigger than the polygon) and extruded the same size as the polygon. Than I marked all and used Boolean.

I will continue now and try to finalise the Music Box. Thank you all again for your support.

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited May 2015
    @tarek_mustafa    Well done, put the finished one up for MOTW (model of the week).  What tune are you playing? Are you going to get it made? 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    @BruceBartlett  Thank you. This model is a copy of the Musikbox from Kikkerland (La Vie en Rose) I ordered from Amazon. I just want to learn more techniques with Onshape and took on this challenge of rebuilding it. The dimensions of the frame should be correct but the pins are not playing the right music.

Maybe you can help me with another question regarding the screws. Is it common to import the right screws or to model as well? I would like to know how to make screw wholes that perfectly fit to one screw?
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @tarek_mustafa
    Great skills, nice model! I wonder how long it will be before Onshape can predict the vibration frequency of a comb tine, by analysis of the inherent physics? Wouldn't it be cool to be able to turn the drum of the computer model and hear the real tune!
  • Options
    r_paulr_paul Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    @tarek_mustafa ;
    I agree with what the others say about how we normally approach the use of screw threads and whether they are modelled in detail or not.
    The model attached is one I did recently just to test the possibility and accuracy of Onshape.  There are two assembly tabs. The first one is the original; the second one I created when the screw constraint was added to Onshape recently.
    Hope the example helps answer your questions as to how.  

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7bf6e574fc944b11b3cf6d5d/w/bce9145f8201438f99283a86/e/5741a1aa4dfe40f1ac2bff09
  • Options
    Thank you @3dcad and @Dave_Petit
    It is good to know that screw threads are usually not modelled, thanks for

I agree with you @Andrew_Troup playing the sound in Onshape would be amazing, also to see the fingers pop when touching a finger a@3dcad mentioned perviously would be cool.

Thank you @R.Paul that is a great example.