Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - February 11th, 2019

Comments

• APDAPD Member Posts: 40 PRO
    lougallo said " Exploded views are on the radar and hope to get it to you as soon as we can."
    Thanks for the update Lou, looking forward to that.
  • Ryan_AlmeidaRyan_Almeida Member Posts: 9 PRO
    Woohoo!  I've been dragging my feet on creating the assemblies for my configurations.  Just in time, it should be way easier now!  Thanks so much.  Awesome work as always
  • Marc_MillerMarc_Miller Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    Love the variable name autocomplete.  Thank you for more great updates.
  • michael_corsettomichael_corsetto Member Posts: 5 EDU
    Is it possible that this update broke some 3dconnexion Space Mouse functionality? My Space Mouse stopped functioning on certain axis (pan up-down and left-right). The functionality was lost today. My Space Mouse has been great up until now.

Thanks for the update! Auto-complete variables is great.
  • TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    @michael_corsetto
    Please update your 3DConnexion device drivers to the latest version and functionality returns to what you expected.
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    Is there a way to force a Document to update? Currently, some of my existing Documents have the new functionality, and some don't. I understand that it rolls out to existing Documents....

I'd just really like to try configurations on a certain Document...
  • Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 210
    Is there a way to force a Document to update? Currently, some of my existing Documents have the new functionality, and some don't. I understand that it rolls out to existing Documents....

I'd just really like to try configurations on a certain Document...
    It takes a little bit for us to upgrade millions of documents. Please raise a support ticket to see what we can do to make your experience better.
    Support & QA
  • David_BoneDavid_Bone Member Posts: 47 ✭✭✭
    Amazing set of updates!
    I know I'll be using most of these regularly.
  • Effendi_HEffendi_H Member Posts: 19 PRO
    Awesome!
    Thanks,
    Effendi H.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    romeo_graham392 said:
    It seems that you can't configure the Name property of an Assembly...Is this a limitation? Or is there another way to end up with a different Assembly Name for different Configurations. Other properties seem to be available, but not Name.

@romeo_graham392
    Here is a IR: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/11115/configure-assembly-name/#latest
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    Thanks @MBartlett21 !
    Voted.
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
    Thanks @jakeramsley I can understand that issue. @MBartlett21 started a IR: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/11115/configure-assembly-name/#latest for this.

The thing is, it makes total sense to have the Assembly Name different if the config is different...Just like a configuration of a part. 

Thanks!

@bradley_sauln
    Is there a link to the Configurable Computer Chassis document?
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    If I have simple configurable part with say X-dim, Y-dim and type A or B. Then I create assemblies using different values and now they are burried into sub-assemblies inside assy-configs.

When whole product family is finished, I begin with drawings. How can I get single part visible in main assembly with the exactly same configuration into drawings?
    It is quite important that production drawings follow same parameters (dimensions) used in assemblies. 
    //rami
    @3dcad
    I think you can right-click on the drawing and choose to create a drawing of the part
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Josiah_HarthcockJosiah_Harthcock Member Posts: 54 PRO
    Way to go team!
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    3dcad said:
    If I have simple configurable part with say X-dim, Y-dim and type A or B. Then I create assemblies using different values and now they are burried into sub-assemblies inside assy-configs.

When whole product family is finished, I begin with drawings. How can I get single part visible in main assembly with the exactly same configuration into drawings?
    It is quite important that production drawings follow same parameters (dimensions) used in assemblies. 
    Hi 3dcad,

As MBartlett21 said, if you create a drawing by selecting the part in the assembly then it will make the drawing of that part in that specific configuration.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • valérie_Vercruyssevalérie_Vercruysse Member Posts: 2
    I just used the configuration in assembly without knowing that it was just new ! I used to work a lot with the configuration with SW , so I took the configuration training on onshape and thought that it was just the same for part studio and assembly. I tried this morning and it works great . I did some drawings with BOM - very easy so switch from one configuration to another one ( just click on one view and that's it - with SW I had to pick on every view that was not linked) . For the moment I just have a little problem with the BOM : it switch to the right config - the name follow too but not the part number . I can tell you assembly configuration just make you win a lot a time !
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    I'm not winning in vegas, at least there is a huge win with Onshape when I get home!

Assy configs!
    Var auto complete!
    Section view depth!

Can't wait to try it all out
  • florianflorian Member, OS Professional Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    @NeilCooke is there a plan to make the linear pattern in assemblies fully parametric and based on existing geometry? In your example, I would definitely want to pick the distance of the USB ports as a reference from the housing. If someone will change it in the Partstudio, how does the ASM keep up?

And finally: Variable completion :smiley:

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,305
    @florian I am not aware of any “reference pattern” type capability in the works. It’s a good idea though. Can you create an IR?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    .. create a drawing by selecting the part in the assembly then it will make the drawing of that part in that specific configuration.
    Is this the ideal workflow? It creates new drawing tab for each part..

My current workflow is to create drawing from main assy as frontpage, then add parts into separate sheets under same tab.
    //rami
  • dan_gilson427dan_gilson427 Member Posts: 1
    I actually punched the air when I read about variable name autocomplete.  Love your work!
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited February 2019
    I actually punched the air when I read about variable name autocomplete.  Love your work!
    Yes!  Used it for the first time today and felt the same.  Before even if you could remember the name you still had to remember the case of all the letters, this is so much sweeter!

O.S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Yes!  Used it for the first time today and felt the same.  Before even if you cold remember the name you still had to remember the case of all the letters, this is so much sweeter!

O.S.
    Hope it works for fs pushed vars, tired of going back and forth to my globals fs to check names
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • gerhard_swanepoelgerhard_swanepoel Member Posts: 29 PRO
    Again - great improvements! Especially assembly configs. Variable inputs also quite nifty. Thanks!