Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:

1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

New FeatureScript: Thread Creator

2»

Comments

• dave_cowdendave_cowden Member, Developers Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    @Dschey ; glad you like it, thanks for the kind words. Please do let me know in the thread what improvements/features you'd like to see.  I dont have a lot if time, but i would like to generate another version that has user-requested improvements!
  • jerry_davisjerry_davis Member Posts: 1
    hello Dave.

Looks like a great tool.

I'm new at this onshape cad tool.

What would be the parameter necessary to generate 3/8-24 threads?
  • matt_maurinmatt_maurin Member Posts: 2 EDU
    Hello,
    I am having trouble producing the thread on multiple faces at once.
    Is this a limitation of the script, or am I missing something?
    I can do each hole individually, but cannot choose every hole face (7 total) to produce threads in one feature.
    In the file attached below, I have only tried to choose 2 hole faces.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/911108ecaa69d07d4b4b8f82/w/d576cfcbafe12d865115be20/e/e736ca7b6a7a47fe9e7b3f8c

Cheers,
    Matt
  • dave_cowdendave_cowden Member, Developers Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    @matt_maurin that's not a use case I considered, so currently it is a script limitation. I will add that to my list of feature requests. 

• matt_maurinmatt_maurin Member Posts: 2 EDU
    @dave_cowden I appreciate it. Thanks for the response. It's a great tool!
  • Matteo_GazzinMatteo_Gazzin Member Posts: 4
    Hi Dave, thanks for your great work. It's really helpful!

I'm asking your advice on using it to generate an inner thread. Here's what I did:
    I have an aluminum screw with a thread that has a 12 mm external diameter.
    I created a cylinder with a hole of the same diameter as my thread(12mm) to match it.
    When I try to apply your script, the generated inner thread is too tight and the screw doesn't fit. 
    I tried to add an extra mm (increasing the starting cylinder hole diameter to 13mm) and it kinda works but it's not a reliable method. Do you have any suggestion on that? 
    Sorry if it's something obvious that I should know but I'm coming from a different field and I'm just approaching this CAD world.

Thanks a bunch, 
    Matteo