Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - March 22nd, 2019

Roy_MutalikRoy_Mutalik Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 33
edited March 2019 in New in Onshape
Welcome to another release of Onshape! Let's take a look at some of the new features.

CAD IMPROVEMENTS

SEARCH FOR A FEATURE

Certainly a heavily-requested improvement, we've now included a Feature search tool!

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/atd9n9w0gs

The Feature Search can be activated at any time using the shortcut Alt+C (Windows) or Option+C (Mac).

The Feature Search also does some matching of terminology from other CAD tools. For example, searching for "boss" will propose some Onshape-equivalent options you may be looking for.

SWAP DRAWING SHEET FORMAT IN AN EXISTING ONSHAPE DRAWING

When changes are made to an Onshape drawing template (DWT), we now have an easy way to update the title block and border for existing, already created Onshape Drawings.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/zlkks7zdw2

CUSTOM PROPERTY SEARCH BY ANY PROPERTY

Searching from the documents list now allows filtering by custom properties that were created in a company. Simply select an appropriate item from the "Type" filter at the top, and then "Add criteria" for the property you wish to search on.

DRAWING PERFORMANCE: JOGGED ASSEMBLY SECTION CUTS

Building on performance improvements from the last release, jogged assembly section views have been improved. Users should expect to see faster view creation and update, particularly on complex views and assemblies with many parts.

DRAWING CHAMFER DIMENSION

Onshape introduces a new dimension tool for calling out Chamfer features. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/s57cl5htx2

Note that the Chamfer dimension tool must be selected explicitly from the list of dimension tools. The styles of 45-degree vs. non-45-degree Chamfers, along with the precisions of the dimensions can be controlled independently from the Drawing properties. Be sure to check out the Help Documentation for more info.

MORE ORDINATE DIMENSION IMPROVEMENTS

Additional improvements were made to ordinate dimensions in this release, to show a live preview of the location of the dimensions as you drag them.

DYNAMIC CURVATURE COMBS ON SKETCH DRAG

Where previously you have had the ability to display the curvature of sketch entities statically, with this release the curvature-comb display is now dynamic and updates in realtime on drag. This is especially useful when manipulating spline points.

PARTIAL BOUNDARIES FOR SURFACE LOFT, FILL FEATURES

If the profiles or guide curves extends further than necessary, we can now select to trim them directly in the Loft feature (Surface). The Fill feature can similarly handle a partial boundary, trimming all excess automatically.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/pyahtsv475

iOS (MOBILE) IMPROVEMENTS

IMPROVED SELECTION WORKFLOWS IN ARRAY DIALOGS

It is now possible to select items to fill out array dialogs that require multiple selections (such as those used in Loft, Fill, Fillet, etc.). This improvement will greatly reduce the number of on-screen "taps" required to complete a feature, as the user will no longer have to "tap" the array field in the dialog each time before selecting the next piece of geometry.

DOCUMENTATION IMPROVEMENTS

SHARING ONSHAPE DOCUMENTS WITH NEW USERS

Onshape documents can easily be shared with anyone, even an individual that does not have an Onshape account. In our latest Tech Briefing we discuss best practices and avoiding pitfalls when sharing a document with a user that is new to Onshape. You can read the full tech briefing HERE.

USING PEM® FASTENERS

A few releases ago, we added PEM® Fasteners in Onshape Standard Content. Take a look at this new Tech Briefing on Using  PEM® Fasteners in Onshape Assemblies.

SECURITY AND IT CHECKLIST

Onshape addresses many security concerns compared to Old CAD. In this Tech Briefing, we discuss many of the security features that are built into Onshape, and some best practices you can take to keep your data safe.

UPDATES TO MANY TECH BRIEFINGS

Significant updates have been made to several existing Tech Briefings. Take a look at our Catalog.

TRAINING IMPROVEMENTS

RELEASE MANAGEMENT INSTRUCTOR-LED TRAINING

We've introduced a live, instructor-led training course on Administering Release Management and User Workflows.

For more info, and to sign-up, Click Here.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Comments

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    I'm super happy with this release! I love the auto-trim in loft and fill, and the curvature vis improvement a lot. I'm excited to see surfacing get better and better. I also love the search feature function, but I really wish that it would also search for custom features. That would probably my number 1 use for a search function. I know the functionality is fresh out of the oven, and this will probably be in a future update. Great work everyone!
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • bsquaredbsquared Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Very happy with this update! Not having a chamfer callout was annoying and I am so glad to see that it was implemented the onshape way. Really hoping center of mass tool comes soon!
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    really wish that it would also search for custom features. That would probably my number 1 use for a search function.
    Add your vote: 
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/51635#Comment_51635
  • wesmwatsonwesmwatson Member Posts: 3 PRO
    Nice to see a needed iOS improvement! 
  • Cache_River_MillCache_River_Mill Member Posts: 225 PRO
    This is excellent! Great work Onshape team!
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As always great update. I am crossing my fingers that we will see some new sheet metal feature improvements in the next update. Keep up the great work.
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Davide_CevDavide_Cev Member Posts: 8 PRO
    I'm super happy with this release! I love the auto-trim in loft and fill, and the curvature vis improvement a lot. I'm excited to see surfacing get better and better. I also love the search feature function, but I really wish that it would also search for custom features. That would probably my number 1 use for a search function. I know the functionality is fresh out of the oven, and this will probably be in a future update. Great work everyone!
      I'm with Evan!! If the search function could even look into custom features would be amazing. Onshape is getting always better and better!
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Yes, I agree with @Evan_Reese, search custom features in the users' toolbar would be very handy. It takes me a long time to find a feature I know is on my very bloated toolbar somewhere a search would make these super easy to find.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    :+1::+1:
    //rami
  • Song_YikunSong_Yikun Member Posts: 39 PRO
    Thanks!
    1.  CLOUD LINE FOR REVISION
    2. WEIGHT PORPERTY IN BOM
    neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed it badly. 
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    As a pro user you can add weight to your bom. Create a custom property under your company and you should be set
  • Effendi_HEffendi_H Member Posts: 19 PRO
    Excellent...thanks for update!
    Thanks,
    Effendi H.
  • Alfian_FuadiAlfian_Fuadi Member Posts: 1
    Excellent...thanks for update! I can export DXF from part studio with correct metric dimension, but for export DXF of flat pattern sheet metal there still have some issue : bending line was lost eventough I tick all the option export as DXF/Drawing
  • dick_van_der_vaartdick_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 51 PRO
    @Alfian_Fuadi
    In draftsight the default setting is, bendinglines hidden, check the layers and make them show.
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518
    @dick_van_der_vaart is correct, the content is still there but the layers are hidden in the exported DXF/DWG file.  We have a bug fix to make it so that bend center line and bend tangent layers are shown by default if you have chosen them in the export dialog.  
  • e_g_ee_g_e Member Posts: 11 PRO
    Thanks for this update!

One thing though: It would be nice if we could add prefixes or comments to the chamfer dimensioning tool. Like "Typ." or "4x", if the same chamfer is apparent multiple places on the same view.

Keep up the good work!
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO

SWAP DRAWING SHEET FORMAT IN AN EXISTING ONSHAPE DRAWING

Very nice!  B)
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Now this is good !
    @bradley_sauln Changing the configuration of a Part Studio used to be an event captured in the Document history. Now the configuration input values are part of the URL, allowing you to explicitly share a specific configuration setup by sending another user the URL of what you are seeing.

Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @bradley_sauln Changing the configuration of a Part Studio used to be an event captured in the document history. Now the configuration input values are part of the URL, allowing you to explicitly share a specific configuration setup by sending another user the URL of what you are seeing.
    Is there a possibility to auto-update the URL displayed in the browser address bar when changing configurations, rather than just generating a URL with the configuration when sharing a link.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Thanks.  I'd not thought though implications on seeing the initial release.
    Cheers,
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    @bradley_sauln Changing the configuration of a Part Studio used to be an event captured in the document history. Now the configuration input values are part of the URL, allowing you to explicitly share a specific configuration setup by sending another user the URL of what you are seeing.
    Is there a possibility to auto-update the URL displayed in the browser address bar when changing configurations, rather than just generating a URL with the configuration when sharing a link.
    Hi MBartlett21,

This is something we've looked into and considered.  Unfortunately we found a bunch of unintended consequences of live-updating the URL that didn't make us comfortable with shipping it.  We will continue looking into how to make sharing and pointing users to a specific part as easy as possible.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Sujan_PatelSujan_Patel Member Posts: 8 PRO
    Chamfer annotation..... :)
    Thanks.
  • SkippySkippy Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    Nice to see new mobile improvements listed in here too.