Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

#TraditionalCADsucks

Comments

• Konstantin_ShKonstantin_Sh Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Do that with windows search... Drop the mic
    I should say that though you can do this multiproperty search you can almost do nothing with it's results - just open it. It should be far smarter then it is. But probably Onshape just doesn't want we to export data somewhere else  >:)
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,883 PRO
    True, but normally I suppose I've always planed on opening it anyway.

If I were to do a multi-document structure, and wanted to export step files of all the results. That would be painful
    SW still has the advantage there with task scheduler...
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    I found a new video on YouTube that you might like. 
    It's a CAD challenge with Autodesk Inventor. 
    Most interesting is the new cloud viewer from Autodesk.
    Amazing to see that traditional CAD software is also moving to the cloud..... but see for yourself: 

https://youtu.be/kc5hpLR8edQ?t=5

In the description of the video is the link to the cloud viewer.
    On a service call with a customer. Another customer called and asked when they could get a step file. 

Right now ofcourse. Email link saved me dowload/upload celular data. Nice. Now if only it could send multiple links in one email. :)

Finally got network licences for SW, so we can share fewer licencees because of how little I use mine in the last couple years.
    Well, looks like you can't obtain a lic over VPN :/   guess I'll have to remember to check out a lic every weekend... lame

Really SW... really? They should just rename this damn program to DialogueWorks... I swear I spend more time watching these loading bars for every little command rather than modeling anything. I mean there are only 30 unique  parts in this model and 6 drawing sheets... arrrrgg sooo slooow

Checking out a license for the weekend is so infuriating sometimes...

Makes you really miss the any-time any-where login...

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I've heard good about Fusion cam, decided to try it out

Suddenly everything I always hated with installed software came back to me - dozen error messages telling me I'm missing something. Nope it's definitely not me who is missing this stuff  :|  
    //rami
    Pwnd
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Half an hour trying to find out why SolidWorks crashes after making some improvements in the code of our Addin ... It broke when I opened the file I was using to do the tests without any reason.

In the end, I deactivate our Addin, I tried to open the file again and I got the same error... grrrr

That sample file had been corrupted!!!
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
    So I was changing all the holes to metric in a conveyor and when I came to one of the detail drawings it was purple (indicating the dimension has changed since the last time the drawing was opened) So far so good. But it was still showing 3/8-16 tap... I thought I missed it and went back to the model, but it was metric.

Just for shits, I put a new hole callout dimension and behold, it is metric.

F'ing SometimesWorks! this half arse'd crap is what makes me look like an idiot in the shop and cost us when they make a bunch of bad parts! What is the point of parametric detailing if you still have to check every f'ing dimension!

So, I am finishing clean up and re-naming of this SW project.
    I see the (-) symbol in front of the guard window. (EXTREMELY USEFUL)
    But it is odd, I had it mated yesterday..

One of the rotational mates just is gone, but the real dumb thing is: The concentric mate is there, but it is being ignored.. No red or yellow indication, or any sign of being broken.. SW just chose to ignore it, only fix was to delete and re-make the same mate...

Then people wonder why I call it SometimesWorks...

Then, I have a customer coming in for a design review in a little bit. Figure I'd get the installation Open.

F'ing great, Haven't touched this project in a week. So naturally it destroyed itself... Sigh.. This project I almost convinced my boss to do in Onshape... So close...

Pfft,, again SW... really... will you stop deleting mates at random..

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Yes, come on SometimesWorks, you could at least delete your mates in some sort of sensible order, alphabetical or numerical order perhaps?
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd

How do you know Johnny is on SolidWorks? Because the #traditionalCadSucks thread gets larger by the minute..

SW decided it no longer likes my M6 Holes here.
    Sketch is good, but it says it has dangling references. Not sure how, I have it coincident to the origin and a horizontal construction line.

Digging in, it all checks out, as fully defined without any yellow dangling references..
    GIF cuts out early, but the fix was to delete everything in the sketch and start over. Typical SW... Makes you do  everything at least twice.

Just shoot me...

OMFG SW!
    We JUST went through this a couple days ago!

Do they still charge you money for this software or are they paying you to test it for them?
    HWM-Water Ltd
    A few hundred more a year than Onshape does... Not sure what we are paying for, It's not like they  improve it or fix any bugs at all. other than bragging rights to the customer:

-  "Oh yes mr. customer, we absolutely use SolidWorks!"
    >  "Oh boy! I've heard of that brand before! your company must really go all out for the best tools to make our equipment!"
    -  "We also use Onshape"
    >  "Huh? What's that?"
    -  "It's a stable, faster, cheaper, secure, and more accessible platform that does exactly the same thing."
    >  "What do you mean more accessible?"
    -  "It's on the cloud"
    >  "Oh! I've head that name before. Cloud scares me. Use solidworks"
    - ..... [Smacks Head] ....

meanwhile, I'm walking up-hill backwards trying to get this damn thing to work consistently for more than 3 days in a row.

I swear to GOD! if I have to go chase these mates one more fricken time... I'm gonna lose me $h1t

Here is a new one..

I made a concentric mate, but the mate decided it wanted to be a tangent instead... 

SW credo: If it's worth doing once, than it's worth doing over...d

Maybe it just identifies as tangent?
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Hey why not.. it's almost 2020
  • Michael_CoffeeMichael_Coffee Member Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
    I love this thread. As I read through it, this gif comes to mind. I understand your pain, because I have encountered everything you've talked about, at least once.

Yea, I only post if it happens enough times where I can recognize the problem well enough to get a before/after screen shot, or a video just before I "fix" the model.

which says a lot about how frequent these issues arise, and why I'm so sour about SW.
    I wish I had my camera today in the WebEx design review this morning...

4 guys standing around a big screen tv (just in our conference room) with their hands on their hips, (I hear finger drumming over the conference phone on the customer end) and all we are staring at is a white screen and this familiar image

Oh by the way.. to get that screenshot right before this, I did a simple cross section of a 10 ft conveyor.
    It took a while, but it finialy finished crunching.. then it crashed to desktop..  :/  Should have figured..
    ARGGG!!

It happened yet again... SW just caused us to throw away 84 feet of stainless steel because it doesn't identify ALL broken dimensions or references anymore.. So you miss the 1 sheet that had bad information... and of coarse to compound that mistake with the shop only reading the dimension off 1 of the sheets, he just so happened to read the bad one... FML Death to SW!

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    That is totally unacceptable and should get SW not allowed to sell new licenses before fixing all existing installs. Being unstable and wasting time is annoying but showing wrong information can be dangerous. :warning:   
    //rami
    ughh, Working from home due to corona shut downs leads to even more headache.

I just spent an hour downloading and cleaning up file reference errors (due to everyone working on their own hard drives at home)

just to get a message seconds after I finished.

Apparently he decided not to update his portion before finishing work (as was the plan). So much for getting up an hour before everyone and updating my main layouts...

managing CAD remotely is stupid without a cloud!