Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

#TraditionalCADsucks

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,883 PRO
    I'd believe it, i havent had a perfect install yet.. every computer has it's own common glitches.

For instance.
    There are some cases where I had to create a feature on a co workers computer because it would not extrude remove from the assembly level on my machine. As long as i dont edit the feature on mine it would stick. 

Or my favorite: part properties delete a random property at random during a regen or save... have a button on my mouse that i can open and close the property  window 3 times to see if the property actually stuck.
    How many engineers does it take to install sw..
    Apparently 2

LoL,  the new version of SW broke all his models...
    Now he has to spend a few hours fixing his sh#&

When your anti-virus learns about Onshape, starts treating other cad files like threats

Yeay SolidWorks. With new versions come new bugs...

This time it looks like my computer forgets menu options now and then...
    It still changes the position of a couple drop down menus, so i have to go to customize, unlock the toolbar, move the menu, go back and lock the tool bar again (same problem since 2017)

So this version they decided to hide the customize button randomly...

here is the problem: display state got moved up and it is taking up screen area..

Hmm, customize should be here

Lost a screen shot where the button was missing from the options fly-out.. I'll edit this post later when it happens again (3rd time it's happened, i'm on second day using  it, I'm sure it will happen soon)

Now I opened another part file
    and now it shows up

Now I crtl+tab  back to the other file and its there now XD

Now I can fix the original issue

**grumble grumble**
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Wow that seems handy, maybe I should give sw a shot after all 🤔 
    //rami
    Told you it wouldn't take long for that button to disappear again XD

oh my god, I think my properties deleting at random has gotten worse :/

Yellow are the fields I edited, red are the props deleted..
    did a double check 2 more times and filled them back in.
    each time fewer and fewer deleted, eventually I opened the screen record to show, and it ended up just deleting one that time... what utter garbage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcwS8zhz_DQ
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
      Desktop solidworks is dying, seems like they don't more spent any resourses for supporting it.
    Looks like Onshape is better at importing step too

SolidWorks:

Onshape:

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Besides the import issues, I think the graphics look much better in onshape.

Except SW does have the advantage of decals and warning labels showing up :/
    at least all the parts are there in OS :wink:
  • Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    billy2 said:
    Besides the import issues, I think the graphics look much better in onshape.
    I mostly agree about the graphics, but I wish when I colored a part white, that it actually looked white instead of a dull gray. I don't know if this is because of the stark white background that I would also like to be able to change the color of, or the light that is used to illuminate the models.
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @john_mcclary - Decals are a story with a bunch of votes. Make sure your name is on the list (submit feedback).
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    I thought I was, I'll check
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @john_mcclary - Decals are a story with a bunch of votes. Make sure your name is on the list (submit feedback).
    A picture mapped decal into a part would great but for 95% of my simple decals I have done in SW using split face and change face colour, always worked well with minimal geo. I am looking forward to doing this in Onshape, I am pretty sure there are plenty of votes on IR for this. It would be also great if face colour could be recognised on import. @billy2 is correct the graphics in Onshape look so much better.  

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited March 2019
    I thought it's time for me to add to this thread with a recent experience. My friend wants me to help him out on a SW project.

Look what I'm having to do:

OMG, this seems so un-necessary.

edited March 2019
    I know this isn't a decal, but couldn't you use a sketch/image?

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @billy2
    The main problem with sketch image is that you can't carry it into assembly..
    //rami
    Right, It only shows up blank in assembly. and also has the construction square bordering it

Onshape is a beautiful thing,

My 'W' & "V" keys are right next to each other, so I accidentally hit ctrl+W instead of ctrl+V and it closed out the web browser...
    Usually when I'm working in SW if I'm plugging away and I all of the sudden see my desktop, My blood turns white.

So I had the same reaction for a sec, then remembered, Oh yea, nothing to save.

Open it back up and I am right where I left off. Yeay Cloud!

Good point guys, hide the sketch, leave image & make it work in an assembly.
    My god, I've only had SW2019 installed for less than 2 weeks, and I already hate it more than 2017...

More bugs than improvements.. per usual.

I can't even mate to this face anymore. Need to make a dimension mate from the far face and offset the thickness of the sheet metal... so much for parametric modeling...

What a F(*&ing joke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGs90IQHw1I
    Why don't you just use a Fasten mate with the holes? ;)
    I know right, I was thinking that the whole time
    Mating is the thing that hangs me up every time I have to go back and use SW
    For me its the 3 seconds of lag between every click.. you can see in that video I spin my mouse for a few seconds before the part even starts moving, or the view moves. etc.. Frustrating as hell
    ... save me from this hell ...