Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Boolean not returning valid part; how to intersect?

naregjannaregjan Member Posts: 6 EDU
I already posted this here (this is a duplicate) but this seems like the more appropriate forum. 

I have a boat that I'm trying to model based off of four lofted sketches. I've been trying to hollow it out; I tried using both shell and thickness to do so. In either case, whenever I try to take the top of the boat off using any sort of boolean operation, I get an error. In this most recent iteration, I've got a 10mm thick shell, and when I try to get the intersection with a block I've extruded underneath it, I get an error. Here's the link

Why? How should I make it differently?

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    @naregjan - it doesn't really matter where you post :)

That doc was shared with a link which makes it read only - please make it public, thanks.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • naregjannaregjan Member Posts: 6 EDU
    Done!
    I ended up just extruding downwards into the shell, but I'm still confused as to why the booleans won't work. 
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Hard to tell, but more than likely due to the sharp point at the bow which may be self-intersecting or degenerate.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • naregjannaregjan Member Posts: 6 EDU
    Hmm. But how is it that it's not degenerate as a body but lopping off the top makes it so? I'm afraid I'm not entirely sure how degenerate geometry comes about. 
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I find myself in the same boat often. Some operation fails and the error message essentially says "Well, that didn't work!", which isn't super helpful. It would be good to have more descriptive error messages and separately, some guidance in the documentation with common things that produce errors. I understand the self-intersecting geometry issue and can usually figure out if that's what's causing an error. But there are often times where the error appears to be something different and I have no guidance on what to change or do differently.
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited July 2019
    @naregjan & @tim_hess427 please don't hesitate to contact support from the "?" menu of your part studio when something like this happens.  Often it is a problem with our modeling kernel, which we can go on to fix, or we may look into whether the error messaging can be better for a specific scenario if it is legitimately faulted geometry.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • S_RegulaS_Regula Member Posts: 88 PRO
    I find myself in the same boat often. Some operation fails and the error message essentially says "Well, that didn't work!", which isn't super helpful. It would be good to have more descriptive error messages and separately, some guidance in the documentation with common things that produce errors. I understand the self-intersecting geometry issue and can usually figure out if that's what's causing an error. But there are often times where the error appears to be something different and I have no guidance on what to change or do differently.
    Find yourself "in the same boat". I see what you did there  :D:D