Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Remove Selection within a Feature

• Remove Selection within a Feature - When making a selection within a feature, there is not a quick way to start over. If you want to start over, you have to click each selection to remove it. This improvement would allow you to right click the selection box and remove all selections at once.

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @cache_river_millworks you can do this today by selecting the selection area and hitting the space bar like this:

Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • michael_bromleymichael_bromley Member Posts: 110 PRO
    Nice learn something new every day!
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Good tip, I did not know this. Thanks @lougallo
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Cache_River_MillCache_River_Mill Member Posts: 225 PRO
    Thank you Lou, good to know.
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 516
    Curious here... How many of you that did not know space-bar cleared, at some point tried to right click on the list in the selection area?
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    @pete_yodis - I'm sure I have done this more than once :)
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Just now I was modifying a feature and started wildly clicking and then remembered the spacebar clear, so good.

@PeteYodis I am sure at some stage I had clicked the list with no success, shift-click here would be more intuitive but now I know about the spacebar clear, I like it, a tooltip when clicking/hovering over the list would help let users know about or remember the spacebar clear. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    It took me a little while to learn it, but now the spacebar clear is a real productivity booster.
    Since the spacebar is large, and easy to target with my left hand - I can hit it to clear the existing selections, even as my right hand is moving my mouse to start the new selection.

Because the selection list box is so small (and often can't be expanded)....it's often easier / faster to clear & reselect than it is to poke around in the list to try to find failing / missing selections.

I know there are IRs on that side of things...
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    PeteYodis said:
    Curious here... How many of you that did not know space-bar cleared, at some point tried to right click on the list in the selection area?
    Yes, I did. But mostly I just looked in the top right hand corner of the selection field for a small red cross. I continue to look for it to this day even though I'm dimly aware of the space-bar clear.
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Lou explained it about 5 years ago in the beginning. I can't remember if he told me personally or if it was a forum post. That's when I picked it up and have been using ever since.

I've been through the training classes and believe it's in there. 

Can't imagine living without it.

Broke the spacebar on my laptop because spacebar clears selection and had a new keyboard installed under warranty. I use the spacebar a lot. Butterfly keys are on their way out for this reason.

So few people read this forum, I'm really shocked that more don't.

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I know I've read the spacebar tip somewhere and have used it a couple of times. The problem is I rarely want to clear everything out. In most instances, I just want to select/remove whatever items are causing issues. Its only after I get frustrated with selecting individual items in the list that I then look try clearing out the whole list. 

I use the spacebar to clear my "active selections" a lot, but hardly think about it when I have a list of parts. In my mental model "list of things to apply this feature to" is not the same as "active selections". Also, when the list is visible, things highlighted on the model are "things that I've added to the list", which, in my head, is also not "active selections". 

Not sure if those thoughts help, but I think that's why I don't think about using the spacebar in this situation. 
  • michael_bromleymichael_bromley Member Posts: 110 PRO
    PeteYodis said:
    I've absolutely tried that,  I also tried reversing the selection with the "Create selection" menu.
  • NikNYCNikNYC Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    If you just bang on the keyboard it will work but you won't know why and your browser sometimes closes.
    Ah yes, ALT-F4 is the shortcut to deselect now is it?
    Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Cache_River_MillCache_River_Mill Member Posts: 225 PRO
    Owen, that works much better than using the space bar. (Alt + F4) de-selects it much faster.
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    I can relate with the latest methods - really feels good to use them!
    www.accuratepattern.com
    It didn't even ask me if I wanted to save my changes.... :'(:s;)
    HWM-Water Ltd