Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Mirror an assembly

bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
Unexpectedly, I have a need to mirror a large assembly.  Anyone have a shortcut?  I really don't want to rebuild the entire assembly.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,896 PRO
    No assembly mirror yet. :(
  • Options
    Lucas_KuhnsLucas_Kuhns Member, csevp Posts: 88 PRO
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Have fun rebuilding, I have some waiting for rebuilding too. Maybe if we wait for the next release there might be a solution.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    Really, if the assembly is truly a mirror. I suppose a shortcut would be, create an in-context part studio, transform/copy in place everything.

Then insert the part studio into a new assembly. Then Group everything static. Then add the minimal amount of moving mates (revolute/slider, etc)

should still function the same as an assembly mirror.

#untested
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Really, if the assembly is truly a mirror. I suppose a shortcut would be, create an in-context part studio, transform/copy in place everything.

Then insert the part studio into a new assembly. Then Group everything static. Then add the minimal amount of moving mates (revolute/slider, etc)

should still function the same as an assembly mirror.

#untested
    yes but to maintain part instance for non-changing geometry you have switch parts out for existing parts, which is the time-consuming process and also becomes a pain after changes are made as repositioning is not linked. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    Ah yea, durp... it won't work for part instances.. blah