Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Manipulating imported geometry

caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
Moving faces on (imported) geometry reveals some impressive geometry handling behavior in OS.
It is far superior to e.g. anything legacy SolidWorks is capable of. I would say even superior to SpaceClaim. Good job with that one!

However, I feel the tools for working directly on imported geometry are lacking.
I'm an IronCAD user. As OS stands now, IC is VASTLY more capable and 'inviting' (read: fun) for direct editing.

Here's a list of suggestions (that I also sent as feedback to the OS team):
*Allow for non history recorded edits.
*Build a 'Super' triad-like tool that can handle the majority of geometry edits (akin to the workflows in SpaceClaim and IronCAD). For imported geometry I want to work on the model all the time, not toggle options and do mouse travel to buttons.
*Allow for global geometry referencing when doing edits: snapping to edges, snapping to centers & midpoints, specify offset distances from face...
*Detect and embed intelligence in parts: shells, equal size radii...

What do you think?
What about a hybrid approach (strict history & free editing)?

All in all, you Onshape guys are onto something very cool!

Dries

Comments

• Options
    andy_morrisandy_morris Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 87
    Thanks for the feedback!
    I opened an improvement for your suggestions.

To clarify, you would want a workflow that would enable you to move, offset, rotate geometry in a continuous way using a triad rather than separate commands?
    Andy Morris / Head of Product Design / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    "using a triad rather than separate commands?"
    Yes. A triad or another sophisticated manipulation tool. And also the ability to reference other geometry for distances, angles...
    For imported geometry I want to push & pull things.

The current "move face" implementation looks and feels almost exactly the same as the one in SolidWorks (which is quite bad...).

Dries
  • Options
    Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    Put me in on wanting this as well...
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Add me to, please...

Give me a way to dump the parametrics so I don't have to run my models through parasolids.
  • Options
    Andrey_SviyazAndrey_Sviyaz Member Posts: 1
    Please add my vote too.

I'd like to push/pull surfaces and also sketched closed geometries on it.
    I mean punch_inside, but not only extrude_outside as it is.
    And even punch holes by means of sketched closed geometries.
    Of course, I can use an Boolean subtraction, but it's long, boring and not interactive.
    BTW, it may be very useful tool - extrusion up-to some point, like used in sketching mode.
    I'm new here, so please forgive me if I'm wrong.
  • Options
    3dexter3dexter Member Posts: 89 ✭✭✭
    +1
  • Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GPJqxYm9EA

@billy Eat your heart out...  Combine this with PMI/GDT/MBD and you have modeling nirvana for most shapes.

• Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    +1
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    +1

That solid edge video @pete_yodis posted looked very good, I would love to see 3d dimensioning tool in Onshape.
    //rami
  • Options
    3dexter3dexter Member Posts: 89 ✭✭✭
    This fantastic Solid Edge approach!

I also love their triad manipulator!
  • Options
    petr_svobodapetr_svoboda OS Professional Posts: 8 PRO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GPJqxYm9EA

@billy Eat your heart out...  Combine this with PMI/GDT/MBD and you have modeling nirvana for most shapes.

Hello Onshape, 
    Are you planning to add PMI/MBD/GD&T module?