Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Onshape BOM for Google Sheets - Export any table selection

lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
edited March 2017 in App Store & Partners Apps
In the last version (1.59) of Onshape Drawings, we added the ability to import BOM exports from both Onshape BOM for Google Sheets and openBoM.  The format used to export the BOM (JSON file) is very extensible for any tabular data for use anywhere.  I have added a new utility to the Onshape BOM for Google Sheets Add-on to export any selection set of cells into an Onshape Document workspace. 

This new functionality will make it easy to pick any arbitrary selection in a Google Sheet and export it for use in an Onshape Drawing.  A few things to keep in mind:
  1. The first row in the selection will be treated as the header in the Drawing table.
  2. Cell field text should be formatted as TEXT or else the raw value will be displayed in the Drawing table.
  3. The name of the export follows the format:
    Google sheet name - tab name
  4. Exporting the selection from that Google Sheet tab will add a new tab in the Onshape document.
  5. Subsequent exports from the same Google Sheet tab will update the Onshape document tab.  If this tab is used in an existing Drawing, you will see the Drawing refresh button light up yellow so you can refresh the Drawing and see the changes to the table.

I hope you find this small addition helpful. If you have any issues/questions you can use the "Help" option in the Google Sheets Add-on menu:

Happy exporting... ~Lou
Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.

Comments

• PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518
    @lougallo Is the man...
  • Dave_CorcoranDave_Corcoran Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    @3dcad ^^
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Nice work Lou
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @Dave_Corcoran
    Thanks for the heads up. I did see the post last night but was too tired to test..

@lougallo Awesome, it seems like we can now use drawings to link google spreadsheets to documents.
    //rami
  • istvan_szaboistvan_szabo Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Hi,
    This is surely nice function. Where can the add-ons be found now? They aren't in the Help menu...
  • Mr_RankinMr_Rankin Member Posts: 1 EDU
    I'm trying this out as the Google Sheets add-in. I can't figure out how to get the data into a document. How do I give it write permission? Would love to use this app.
  • kesava_prasad_t_dkesava_prasad_t_d OS Professional Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Hi Lougallo,

Is it possible to send some data from Onshape, say some parametric data of the model to a google sheet using feature script?
  • Jose_MoralesJose_Morales Member Posts: 15 PRO
    Hi Lou,  I've been using the add-on for a while now and it's been incredibly useful. I'm having an issue where if I have already exported 3 tables as JSON files from Google Sheets to the same OnShape document it won't let me export a 4th. Is this a limit set purposely or am I using it wrong?
  • eric_vebereric_veber Member Posts: 5
    Hey @lougallo any chance you could share the source code? It would be a really nice starting point for me.