Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Making the front of a Diamond Play Button

charlie_kingslandcharlie_kingsland Member Posts: 10 EDU
edited February 2021 in Community Support
I have a basic shape for a diamond play button, i was just wondering how I would create the raised-ness of the top of the play button... Any ideas? I have the basic lines drawn on a sketch plane, I just do not know how to extrude lines...

Custom trophy spotlight youtube diamond play  Enter a World of Luxury  Custom Trophies  Awards

Best Answer

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Ah I understand now (I think). This is actually something I've wanted from time to time and would love for it to become part of the loft feature. Good question @charlie_kingsland I don't know a simple way. All I can think is a lot of separate surface lofts, like this. You can get in a groove and use some hotkeys to knock it out fairly quick, but it will be a somewhat fragile model that will break if you try to tweak it much. At least it wouldn't be up to my ideals of stability.

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl

Answers

• charlie_kingslandcharlie_kingsland Member Posts: 10 EDU
    That semi-answers it... But is there a way to extrude the lines instead of the points?
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    You can loft to/from points, lines, or closed surfaces/sketches. Your example looks like it could be done in about 4 or 5 lofts.
    mahir said:
    You can loft to/from points, lines, or closes surfaces/sketches. Your example looks like it could be done in about 4 or 5 lofts.
    I can't seem to loft to a line on a different sketch that is 5mm above the face of the flat diamond play button, however, I can loft to a point on that separate sketch?
    I guess I don't understand the ask then. It's always tough for me to get what people mean just from a description. If you'll create the features you're trying to create, and leave them in a failed state, and share the doc, I can take a look.
    I guess I don't understand the ask then. It's always tough for me to get what people mean just from a description. If you'll create the features you're trying to create, and leave them in a failed state, and share the doc, I can take a look.
    In this document (https://cad.onshape.com/documents/477e1f0a606da3bb9b2ca20c/w/131dbe38e3f65668afb3d8e5/e/9205b86f309e2c457916d23c), there is a folder called 'red diamond', inside that is v1 & v2. 'v1 > diamond' is what I have tried already, and 'v2 > red dimond' is me trying to loft up to a line
    mahir said:
    Once again, that is kind of what i'm looking for, but i would like to loft up to a line, not a point...
    edited March 2021
    charlie_kingsland said:
    Once again, that is kind of what i'm looking for, but i would like to loft up to a line, not a point...
    I think I may have misspoken earlier. I did try lofting to a line, but it seems that this is only possible when creating a surface vs a solid. You can loft from line to point (2D surface), surface to point (3D volume), or line to line (2D surface), but you can't loft from surface to line ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

You can get around this for simpler surfaces by just compiling a bunch of 2D surface lofts and then creating a solid from the closed surfaces (kind of like a tent).
    @ilya_baran or @kevin_o_toole_1, is this a known limitation of loft? I don't see an inherent reason why I shouldn't be able to loft from a region (sketch or 2D surface) to a line/edge, but I can't get it to work.
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    @mahir Yes, a solid loft profile is either a surface or a point.  I can imagine workarounds that involve doing surface lofts and splitting closed curves into open curves.  I don't know off the top of my head how hard that limitation would be to address on our side.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
    Answer ✓
    Ah I understand now (I think). This is actually something I've wanted from time to time and would love for it to become part of the loft feature. Good question @charlie_kingsland I don't know a simple way. All I can think is a lot of separate surface lofts, like this. You can get in a groove and use some hotkeys to knock it out fairly quick, but it will be a somewhat fragile model that will break if you try to tweak it much. At least it wouldn't be up to my ideals of stability.

@Evan_Reese it worked! Thanks for the help!

glad to hear it!
    edited March 2021
    mahir said:
    You can get around this for simpler surfaces by just compiling a bunch of 2D surface lofts and then creating a solid from the closed surfaces (kind of like a tent).
    What am I, chopped liver?  :wink::D
    glad to hear it!
    also printed it!