Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Flexible animated parts in assemblies (actually working!) (well, really more of a workaround...)

alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
Sneak peek for a tutorial I'll be making soon, just had to share when I figured this out :smiley:

Note that the trick used here is not suitable for production models or anything like that. Rather, this is just to make things look good where assembly structure and performance are not priorities.

This is all using existing built-in functionality that's been available for years, with no extensions, add-ins, or anything else!
Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: asmidchens@onshape.com

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Spill the beans!
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
    @NeilCooke will do! Just need to find the time to clean up the strategy and record the video

It involves linear relations and creative use of patterns to generate a bunch of 3D "frames"/snapshots of the flexible model, then swapping out the model for each step of the animation by using a carefully chosen number of animation steps and slider relation ratio
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: asmidchens@onshape.com
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,698 PRO
     :o 

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Yeah, spill the beans, Alnis!
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO

alnis said:
    @NeilCooke will do! Just need to find the time to clean up the strategy and record the video

It involves linear relations and creative use of patterns to generate a bunch of 3D "frames"/snapshots of the flexible model, then swapping out the model for each step of the animation by using a carefully chosen number of animation steps and slider relation ratio
    I don't know what you mean by 'swaping out the model' are you just taking a bunch of (pre-rendered) models that are sitting somewhere offscreen or obstructed and using the linear relation to scroll juggle them in sequence???

edited January 2022
    @john_mcclary yes, exactly like that! They are spaced far apart and the linear relation moves from one to the next by the exact amount needed to "replace" it in the model. Of course, this produces a lot of extra junk in the model, but I'm working on figuring out a workflow to keep things as clean & simple as possible using configurations
    Yea, that's cool

here's my guess at what you did in 5 frames (so it's choppy, but I'm too lazy to mate up a bunch of frames right now..)

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    @alnis
    Any updates on this technique? Will we see anything about it at Onshape live?
    @S1mon not at Onshape live, sorry :disappointed: maybe earlier?? Coursework really caught up with me but maybe I can procrastinate on some homework this weekend by making the tutorial...