Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Improvements to Onshape - December 15th, 2023

Comments

• Options
    M_HutchisonM_Hutchison Member Posts: 26 PRO
    edited December 2023
    Big THANKS from FRC Team 5900.  I've been hoping that you guys would allow Simulation for the Education users.  Currently we throw 3D prints at the floor and see what breaks (not kidding).  Now we can pair empirical and theoretical testing.  Cool.

And thank goodness for the Virtual Sharps for Mates.  Oh the number of times I've had to jump through hoops to mate stuff to 80/20 profiles.
  • Options
    adam_gearyadam_geary Member, csevp Posts: 37 PRO
    I'll definitely be making use of countersinks in sheet metal parts!  

Now please remove the artificial limitations on blind-in-last hole diameters.  I need that tap drill to be larger than the clearance hole and it still doesn't allow it for some reason.
  • Options
    devin_johnson79devin_johnson79 Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Sharp edge mate connectors and countersunk on Sheetmetals are a great addition! Well done Onshape!
  • Options
    john_allen289john_allen289 Member Posts: 34 PRO
    Go Onshape, I have an inbox of full of 'your ticket has been Resolved' and I can see why, so much polish in these updates, which is so good to see alongside some of the big ticket items.

I love how much this team listens to their User base.

- Virtual sharp mate connectors
    - Export drawings with no Inspection Items
    - Sweep profile controls
    ..the list goes on, there are no fillers here, all great improvements.

Have a great Christmas Onshape!

• Options
    fnxffnxf Member, User Group Leader Posts: 137 PRO
    edited December 2023
    This is a great update! I love the ability to add chamfers to sheet metal during its construction, but like others have noticed, the exported DXF needs to be with the inner diameter, otherwise chaos is going to ensue...

I got a "SOLVED" e-mail about a ticket from 2018/19 about the chamfer size and direction, the manuel override is a good fix. Easy to use. Thanks!

And I think the virtual sharp will also be useful when assenbling profile and other geometry.

Thank you all for the hard work you put into this (also the nice work on the videos, having an Onshape logo in the last frame, stylish!) ! I hope you have a wonderful holiday season!

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    I can retire my Normal Sweep featurescript now :smile:
  • Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As always, it's fantastic! The range and variety of functionalities added are both interesting and valuable. It's exciting to see how each update continually enhances our user experience.

Also, a huge shoutout to the Onshape development team for their incredible work. This year alone, we've seen 17 – yes, 17 – updates, each contributing significantly to the Onshape's capabilities.

En este enlace podéis ver las Novedades de Onshape en español:
    https://youtu.be/CrcE8c_jAcY
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,724 PRO
    edited December 2023

Amazing work Onshape team!

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    Klaus_MKlaus_M Member Posts: 7
    Since this update, the unit is always preset to metres during STL export, which is annoying.
    I can change it to millimetres as often as I like, but the next time I change it back to metres.
    Before the update, Onshape memorised my setting.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,414
    Klaus_M said:
    Since this update, the unit is always preset to metres during STL export, which is annoying.
    I can change it to millimetres as often as I like, but the next time I change it back to metres.
    It's being looked at.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Lucas_KuhnsLucas_Kuhns Member, csevp Posts: 88 PRO
    Another nice update  :#
  • Options
    don_bdon_b Member Posts: 106 ✭✭

LIST VIEW FILTERS

tried it out with part studio and the exact view size and orientation  did not show up .....the part studio did come up with a default  scale from the attempted saved scale and view......same with an assembly drawing......is a nice feature anyway.  Unless I am using it wrong....as there is no video with this item
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,384 PRO
    I'm unusually late to the party, but this is indeed one of the best updates of the year. Thanks Onshape!
  • Options
    patrick_sheapatrick_shea Member Posts: 63 EDU
    YES  !!!! Virtual sharp CORNERS !!!
    Thank you !!
  • Options
    don_b said:

LIST VIEW FILTERS

tried it out with part studio and the exact view size and orientation  did not show up .....the part studio did come up with a default  scale from the attempted saved scale and view......same with an assembly drawing......is a nice feature anyway.  Unless I am using it wrong....as there is no video with this item
    Should have made it clear (I now have) that List view is for Professional/Enterprise users only. It is also only part of the Documents page as a way to list data more clearly and nothing to do with views created inside a Document. Sorry for the confusion.
  • Options
    wout_theelen541wout_theelen541 Member, csevp Posts: 198 PRO
    Those are some pretty solid updates. With entire document comments I'm sure I'll find a few lost comments to work on.
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited December 2023
    Super excited to see some of my requests come in. Sharp edge mate connectors and Countersunk on Sheetmetals will be put to use. Thanks!
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    Klaus_MKlaus_M Member Posts: 7
    NeilCooke said:
    Klaus_M said:
    It's being looked at.
    Don't know if you have changed anything- but today it's ok, OnShape keeps the last export setting.

Sometimes you just have to complain and then it suddenly works by itself.  ;)
  • Options
    Klaus_M said:

Sometimes you just have to complain and then it suddenly works by itself.  ;)
    Nothing ever happens by accident.
  • Options
    mathéo_bonnefoymathéo_bonnefoy Member Posts: 3
    Hey great job everyone! I came up with an idea for the next update could you had some export solution cause there is no fbx for example but most of all i would like to be able to exptort my 3D object and paint them after in Adobe substance painter to experiment on design texturing for my products but the only way i found is through collada wich dosent give good uv unwrap mb implement a way to export the uv unwrap a way to seperate or link faces a option for ngons triangulation like plasticity, thanks a lot!
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,015 PRO
    edited December 2023
    Playing around with the new profile control without sketches

none:

lock profile face:

and a boundary surface to finish things off:

It's really hard to create basic point vector geometry using mate connectors. Mate connectors have a purpose, but it's not to create 3D geometry. 

I'm thinking a new point vector geometry type that uses straight transformations which you can stack (like a robot's joints). It's simply a translation, then rotate Z and then rotate X. 

Currently, when defining a mate connector, it's only translations without rotations. Try it, create a 3D curve and then create another so it's tangent to the 1st. You can align to the 3 planes, which is usually wrong, but you can't align Z to be tangent to the previous curve meaning it's lost in space without any orientation.

Does anyone know of a featurescript that creates mate connecters using standard transformations?

• Options
    simon_fischer080simon_fischer080 Member Posts: 2
    Nice updates!
    Are there any plans to include an option for tablet users (iPad or else) to get the same view and handling like on Mac/PC?
    Also, an option, that naming/renaming a feature, automatically results in renaming the part into „featurename.x“, would be awesome!
  • Options
    romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 657 PRO
    Multi Mate Connector by @konstantin_shiriazdanov includes transformations when creating Mate Connectors. You can use an existing MC which is nice.

• Options
    rose_cliverrose_cliver Member Posts: 2

Exploring user preferences or consulting manufacturers might refine c'sink export accuracy in Onshape's sheet metal update.

• Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,015 PRO
    @romeograham

Thanks for the mate connector link. It's really close to what I'm looking for.

I'd like for it to show all the mate connectors in the transform array. The preview shows them. It's nice because it moves subsequent mate connectors when changed in the list just like a robot's arm so it's solving the transformation stack on each input change. I'm thinking rotations should come first and then translations.

I'll take a look at the code and see if I can make it my own. It's always better to start with something vs. starting from scratch.

Thanks @konstantin_shiriazdanov in advance for the seed.

• Options
    Ok, I think I'm getting lock profile faces and it's something I may be using on my next project.