Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Improvements to Onshape - January 12th, 2024

Comments

• Options
    robert_stilesrobert_stiles Member Posts: 93 PRO
    Display states in publications is a big help for us. Thanks Drawing Team. 
  • Options
    Dean_GardnerDean_Gardner Member Posts: 88 PRO
    Been waiting for the offset curve on face for some time.  Thank you! Can't wait to use it in anger.  Will certainly speed up my workflow now.
  • Options
    Alex_PittAlex_Pitt Member Posts: 60 PRO
    edited January 15
    Very nice update! I've reordered my custom properties already, and tried the Decals which work well. Assuming they're limited to either planar or cylindrical surfaces. The offset curve looks very powerful and the new filtering will reduce the headache of managing multiple branches.  Love that view-only users can now access assembly display states. Thanks again! 
  • Options
    jonathan_stedmanjonathan_stedman Member, Mentor Posts: 65 PRO
    DECALS - Just trying them now

- 1st question before going too far - will they appear in Rendered images?  At the 1st attempt, they don't appear in the Render Studio image of the part or assembly.

Are they meant to or is this for the future?
  • Options
    Simon_KozinSimon_Kozin Member, csevp Posts: 8 PRO
    The DERIVED feature improvements are a amazing! This has been needed for so long, thank you! 
  • Options
    BrettKuenkelBrettKuenkel Member Posts: 5 PRO
    Reordering Custom Properties is a fantastic improvement and one I have been looking forward to for quite sometime!!!  
    Design Engineer - NXTUL
    Innovative Woodworking Tools - www.nxtul.com

• Options
    S_RegulaS_Regula Member Posts: 88 PRO
    When a decal is added, can/will it show up as a BOM line item?
  • Options
    Tru7hTru7h Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    New features are fine. But would ANYONE here not trade all of the above for basic functions like built-in thread creation?
  • Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great release!!
    Keep up the fantastic work throughout 2024, Onshape development team!

En este enlace podéis ver las Novedades de Onshape en español:
    https://youtu.be/HlpSxZr_c2I
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    Benjamin_StraussBenjamin_Strauss Member Posts: 7 PRO
    What are the plans for future additions re: construction geometry? Specifically, construction points, planes, and axes would be excellent. Also, construction geometry inside of assemblies would vastly improve my life! Lastly, in-place mates would be a game changer for me.
  • Options
    paul_masserpaul_masser Member Posts: 15 PRO
    edited January 16
    Can date format be change to follow GDP guidelines e.g. 16 Jan 24?
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,901 PRO
    Massive Update!
    Not sure how I missed the notification!
    • New Decal feature for parts (planar and cylindrical faces)!!
    • New Offset curve feature (on faces/surfaces)
    • New nested feature list for Derived and Custom features in Part Studios
    • New filter in the version graph to hide branches without workspaces
    • Support reorder of custom properties (ie. Properties dialog order)  :) YES!!!!!
    • Support section views of a detail view in Drawings
    • Support where used of a part when a part studio reference is inserted in Drawings
    • Support adjusting manual centermark location in Drawings
    • Added Display states feature to the View only toolbar (including Publications)
    • FeatureScript: Improved performance for processing derived part studios
    So happy for property reorder!
    I only use 5 or 6 properties, and I always have to scroll somewhere in the middle, and all the way to the bottom.
    This is going to save a bunch of time!

Very happy for decals
    Thanks @S1mon for your decal notes and observations!

I still haven't received any notifications from Onshape closing out the IRs.
    But there are two tentative IRs on the Bingo list now:

Hole Feature Renames Itself — Onshape
    textures and appearances like solidworks — Onshape

• Options
    romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 657 PRO
    Looks like me and @sebastian_glanzner are getting the closest for now! So exciting!
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    S_Regula said:
    When a decal is added, can/will it show up as a BOM line item?
    This is something we have written up and we have been thinking of tying it to items where uploaded data (images, pdf, docs etc..) could be associated to items so they can be added to the bom in a nice way.. We could leverage that in decal in the future.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    stvnvl_8501stvnvl_8501 Member Posts: 113 PRO
    Thanks!  section view from detail view allready being used ;-). 
  • Options
    don_williams909don_williams909 Member Posts: 139 PRO
    Decals!  Woo-HOO ! ! ! !  I've been needing this for awhile.

• Options
    sekar_enggsekar_engg Member Posts: 2
    when will we ever get the bending list table for  sheet metal ?
  • Options
    I love the new update with decals:

Very nice!
  • Options
    roryaronsonroryaronson Member Posts: 25 PRO
    DECALS!! At long last!! 🙏 Thank you so much Onshape for listening to your users and continually improving the product. You have truly made Onshape invaluable to us all.
  • Options
    I love the new update with decals:

Nice work Sebastian .  Have you managed to get it to Render in Render Studio?  I had a brief attempt,but think decals don't get imported.

• Options
    sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 401 PRO
    @jonathan_stedman @john_mcclary
    Thanks for the nice words.

I just tried and loaded it in a RenderStudio, but the decals were not imported.
  • Options
    @jonathan_stedman @john_mcclary
    Thanks for the nice words.

I just tried and loaded it in a RenderStudio, but the decals were not imported.
    Lets hope the Render Studio guys are on the case  :)   They have a lot of catching up to do.
  • Options
    TeamPrototypeTeamPrototype Member Posts: 3
    That decal tool is going to be super useful!
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,375 PRO
    edited January 18
    @romeograham

Can confirm. Brilliant find.

This is ultimately a silly work-around. Hopefully Decal will be updated in the future to be more flexible in what kinds of faces it's willing to deal with. It's interesting to note that the decal is just projected normal to the original flat surface onto the 3D surface. 

I created a test where I used the same decal and the same boundary surface and I replace flat surfaces at two different angles. If you edit the "replace face" features you can see the before/after at the same time and see how the recycle symbol is being projected.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/90a5f4a2e4c82c3112b45338/w/b4113935addb002bd1cda68d/e/db6161dcadb1e7413d83e653

• Options