Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Spidey sense is tingling New update today!

Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
I wake up to see new icons! Gear relation and rack and pinion relation... Now to start digging. Lets all see what we can find before Lou releases his whats new document.... 
Tagged:

Comments

• caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    So far, nothing but gear and rack-n-pinion on my radar...

Dries
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    New updates will show up in new documents and existing ones will show up shortly... that is if we are updating or wait... did I say that?
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • julian_lelandjulian_leland Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 59 PRO
    edited March 2015
    I made this model a while ago, and remember thinking at the time, "nuts - no gear mates...". Super cool, OS.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I just tried translating a .sldasm no luck yet. :/
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    I just tried translating a .sldasm no luck yet. :/
    We should have something soon for importing SolidWorks assemblies.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    2015/03/14 7:43am created
    I've always had issues with SW's rack and pinion because it didn't work properly. Now that OS has rack & pinion, I wanted to see if it worked properly.

3 tests:
    -pinion moves rack
    -rack moves pinion
    -change fixed object (from rack to triangle)

link to video

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @BruceBartlett - as you may have seen, with this release (1.27) we now read SolidWorks pack and go (.zip). Thats how you can get SolidWorks assemblies into Onshape (for now ;))
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @BruceBartlett - as you may have seen, with this release (1.27) we now read SolidWorks pack and go (.zip). Thats how you can get SolidWorks assemblies into Onshape (for now ;))
    So I did a pack and go zip file . Uploaded into Onshape and tried to translate, but didn't work. Any Idea's?
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    edited March 2015
    So I did a pack and go zip file . Uploaded into Onshape and tried to translate, but didn't work. Any Idea's?
    For me, it doesn't work with SOLIDWORKS 2015 files.
    It's just a ZIP file in my document.
    Also, Onshape is unable to translate SW2015 parts into the native Onshape format.

I've just upgraded to SW2015, so I expect this to get quite anoying really soon. :smile: 
    Anyone else seeing this?

Dries
  • Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    2015 update included a new file format that reduces file size. My interpretation so far dealing with these files is that they appear to be encrypted and don't play nice with anything outside of SW. Looks like they are taking pages from the AutoDesk playbook.

I would put money on those not in 2015 not having any issues.
    edited March 2015
    Ben said:
    I'm having major issues with SW2015 SP2.1...
    I'm witnessing complete assemblies going bust, because derived patterns are not resolving as they should in derived configurations. Absolutely mental...

Dries
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Ben said:
    I'm witnessing complete assemblies going bust, because derived patterns are not resolving as they should in derived configurations. Absolutely mental...

Dries
    Are you seeing these assemblies go bad in Onshape or in SolidWorks?
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
    jramlsey said:
    Ben said:

Dries
    Both. :)

1. They go bust in SOLIDWORKS. Read: missing instances from patterns (they were absolutely fine in SW2014!)
    2. In Onshape I get: "Translation failed at x:xx PM Today" for any uploaded zip.
    Btw, that's using SW2015 SP2.1.

Dries
  • squashiesquashie Member Posts: 6
    jramlsey said:
    Ben said:

Dries
    Both. :)

1. They go bust in SOLIDWORKS. Read: missing instances from patterns (they were absolutely fine in SW2014!)
    2. In Onshape I get: "Translation failed at x:xx PM Today" for any uploaded zip.
    Btw, that's using SW2015 SP2.1.

Dries
    Same problem for me. 
  • john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 353
    edited April 2015
    Solidworks 2015 SP2 and SP2.1 files do not translate in Onshape at this point. Solidworks has recently changed their file format twice. We are working on updating our translators to handle the version salad.
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    I had one Pack & Go fail and one succeed, both from SldWks 2009
  • john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 353
    There are 3 or 4 different SW translator crashes that we are working on right now. It's our newest translator and it seems to have some room for improvement :/ . The crashes were automatically detected before they were reported by users but we have been reaching out to the owners of these files to share them with us so we can debug the problem. @LouGallo will be reaching out for several that I have sent his way Friday and this weekend.
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.