Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.
First time visiting? Here are some places to start:- Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
- Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
- Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
- Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.
If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.
dwg conversions
spiked3
Member Posts: 34 ✭
I have gotten my design recreated in OnShape (http://www.spiked3.com/?p=3651) and I still have not found a vendor even in the ball park on price of my current vendor who can not open dxf files beyond 2004. And that is not even considering his convenience of having all materials in stock, and usually 2 day turn around . To give you an idea, the last laser cut set of acrylic from him was $40 shipped for materials, labor, laser cutting. I had an estimate where I bring the materials myself, do the labor, and the laser time would only be $132 at the local make space. Yeah, not going to happen. Everything else I have seen online is more expensive.
So I am looking for a converter for my dwg files from Onshape to older versions. I tried the Autocad thing that supposedly does it. It first popped up a warning it was a file not created by Autocad software, then displayed a blank. Is this because they are only converting their own files, or does it truly not understand the file? I have not seen anything else, that was not ridiculously priced. I have not tried any of the online services yet either, as I really have to be desperate (which I almost am now) to trade the resulting spam headache for what is a simple version conversion.
So I am looking for a converter for my dwg files from Onshape to older versions. I tried the Autocad thing that supposedly does it. It first popped up a warning it was a file not created by Autocad software, then displayed a blank. Is this because they are only converting their own files, or does it truly not understand the file? I have not seen anything else, that was not ridiculously priced. I have not tried any of the online services yet either, as I really have to be desperate (which I almost am now) to trade the resulting spam headache for what is a simple version conversion.
Mike Partain aka Spiked3
http://www.spiked3.com
http://www.spiked3.com
Tagged:
0
Best Answer
-
@Spiked3 DraftSight... http://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/offerings/
It's free and quite good. It should allow you to save forward and backward. WIndows, MAC, Linux.
5
Answers
-
@Spiked3 DraftSight... http://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/offerings/
It's free and quite good. It should allow you to save forward and backward. WIndows, MAC, Linux.
5 -
Thanks. First quick look it seemed to work. I will try it for a real a little later and send the file off. I will mark as answered if it goes through.Mike Partain aka Spiked3
http://www.spiked3.com0 -
Another prop for Draftsight. I've been using it for several years for 2D CAD.0
-
I'm not sure what the issue is here. If it's an it a DXF revision issue, put the conversion at
an acad 9 format. It's lines, circles (can you believe it-crazy), arcs how hard is that?
0 -
According to @JonMcIntyreOnshape .dxfs come out at DWG/DXF version is 2013. It would nice to select versions back to acad12 like SW. Also no line weights.0
-
We have definite plans to allow version 2000 to be selectable during DWG/DXF export in the near future. More options are being considered as well. Keep the feedback coming on which DXF export options you most want to see.0
-
Great news @JonMcIntyre, but with all due respect, I was asking about how to accomplish something now. I think what is coming and when was a topic in another discussion, where most agreed 'near future' was one of the most vile phrases that can be used in software development.Mike Partain aka Spiked3
http://www.spiked3.com-1 -
Hi @Spiked3, I understand. I was just responding to BruceBartlett's comment, as it looked like others had already answered you. Right now there's no solution for the version issue within Onshape itself, but we will fix that.1
-
@JonMcIntyre When I hear 'near future' I immediately remember Microsoft's promise to fix TCP in microframeworks in the near future. Going on 3 years and 2 complete reorganizations now
But they will be coming out with Windows 10 for the new Raspberry Pi in the near future (ROFL). Mike Partain aka Spiked3
http://www.spiked3.com-1 -
@Spiked3 remember that we just entered beta, having said this judge us by our performance1
-
@John_McEleney absolutely. Onshape has already far exceeded in a positive way, any prior experiences with software I have had. That is why I hope using 'real soon' now does not become common phrase, because that turns it negative fairly quickly. I think its great to ask people what they want to see, I think it is great to say "that is targeted for next wednesday's update", but 'real soon' or 'near future' means something entirely different to a developer than its meaning to an end user. Please, don't go down that path.Mike Partain aka Spiked3
http://www.spiked3.com-1 -
to work with DWG/DXF (and convert them to several versions), you should use Nanocad. quite similar to Autocad for 2D editing, but free. and - for me - better than Draftsight (the last time I tried it)...
0 -
Just a followup; While DraftSight appears to have worked, dealing with it has not. I registered as required and still get the 'you must register' dialog every time I run it it. I have less then 20 days left! I asked support for help, and received just a link that requires creating yet another logon to view, as fixing the problem seems to be a secret.
I guess I am glad a never dealt with these guys (dassault) before.
On to look at Nanocad now.Mike Partain aka Spiked3
http://www.spiked3.com0 -
I can say that in case of license/registering problem the Nanocad guys are really efficient on their forum.
their free license is one year renewable and the last time I had to register it wasn't working. by giving them all the infos, they solved the problem immediately..
Fred
0 -
DXF/DWG export of surfaces & sketches is now in R11 format, as of last night's update. https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/635/improvements-to-onshape-april-22-2015#latest
Please let us know if this meets your needs, and what else we can do to improve it.0 -
@Spiked3 ... Hmmm?
@Jon McIntyre : Yay !
In general, it seems to me the ideal solution to a problem is the one that makes it go away, rather than the ones which fix it after the fact.
Subtract, rather than add.
DWG export is (to my way of thinking) an entirely separate question, and there I think a range of choices will be necessary.
I guess it should be eminently feasible for a single engine to import any dwg version (certainly any dxf version), in which case there is no problem in that direction.
For Solidworks, as with dwg, would be great to have one of the export version options which is as early as possible, because any later version will read it. (Speaking selfishly, at least earlier than 2009 !)0 -
Working fine for me, free version is including some trial period for payed version in the beginning and after that it reverts to actual free version.Spiked3 said:Just a followup; While DraftSight appears to have worked, dealing with it has not. I registered as required and still get the 'you must register' dialog every time I run it it. I have less then 20 days left! I asked support for help, and received just a link that requires creating yet another logon to view, as fixing the problem seems to be a secret.
I guess I am glad a never dealt with these guys (dassault) before.
On to look at Nanocad now.//rami0 -
Glad you had a different experience than me.

BTW, indeed NanoCAD was a very nice program, no hassles. If I had a use for something AutoCAD llke, it looks like it would do a nice job. When I recently upgraded my desktop I didn't even bother installing anything else (Alibre or DraftSight). And since the OS DXF files are now an earlier version format I should no longer have the need for anything 2D anyhow.Mike Partain aka Spiked3
http://www.spiked3.com0 -
-
Hello @Spiked3 ,
I use DraftSight for my daily job, its really great. If you activate it, you will just get some newsletters, thats all. And every year you have to reactivate it. If you don't like to get newsletters on your primary eMail adress, just use another one. After activation you will get an eMail with a link and then its done.
best regards
martin0 -
OK, let me try to explain this again. I did activate it. It still says it needs to be activated (thus the picture posted showing both at the same time, and the previous post "I registered as required and still get the 'you must register' dialog every time I run it it."). I no longer have it installed since I am on a new machine. I have no plans to re-install it, since OnShape now includes the older version of DWG files for export I need. So again, thanks for the attempts at help, it is no longer needed.
frédéric, NanoCAD was immensely better in the small amount of time I used it. I did re-install it on the new machine, even though I have no immediate need to use it.Mike Partain aka Spiked3
http://www.spiked3.com0 -
@Spiked3 When Onshape drawings become available, neither NanoCAD nor DraftSight will be needed!!
0








