Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Curiosity Question...

larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
I'm not sure how to address this or if this might indeed be considered bad form but I've tried to help on a few posts here and never heard back from the OP or anyone else as to the veracity of my attempts at helping others.

I answered this question - https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9208/trouble-with-small-arm-pin#latest

here - https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9205/new-user-tearing-his-hair-out#latest

This question - https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9163/how-to-draw-on-a-plane-thats-diagonal-to-existing-part#latest - never heard back from the OP.

and this question - https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9216/twisting-of-a-airfoil#latest - never heard back from the OP.

The reason I am asking is because I have only a little experience with OnShape and I'm not sure if my efforts at helping out are just feeble attempts that are best ignored because of their ineptitude or if they are legitimate solutions. 

Not hearing back form an OP on a thread after offering help is something I consider bad form but am not sure if that's only because my solutions are simply ignorant or if there's some value to the help I am trying to provide. Not knowing gives me very little confidence in the direction I am heading in my attempts to learn OnShape.

Thanks for the ear and any advice you might offer....

Comments

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited May 2018
    Hi, short answer:- You're doing great, please keep doing it.   :)

Longer answer coming when I'm in front of a KB not a phone.

Owen S 
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Keep at it, sometimes people don't respond for weeks other times it's in an instance, other times not at all. I think we have a great community here of helpful people and if you find it useful, giving back to the community should be your natural response, unfortunately sometimes people aren't appreciative of your well-meant help, as @owen just experienced on another thread, but that's thats their problem, move on and find the people who appreciate your help.

I also find in helping others I quite often find I am forced to learn new things my self in the process so win-win mostly. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    Really appreciate the feedback. I do find myself really wanting to help in order to learn but the crickets as a response can be a bit disheartening. I think at some stage I'll feel confident that my suggested help is actually the way OnShape is designed to work :) but for now I'm simply thrashing about wondering if there might be many better ways to do the same tasks.

Again thank you for taking the time to reply.
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @larry_hawes
    I agree with @owen_sparks & @brucebartlett  You do a good job in replying and have well thought out answers.  There is often multiple ways to get a solution and other experienced folks chime in when they have an option to share.  I think a lot of op are fairly casual users and sometimes not really up on forum etiquette.  Please keep putting out the info anyways - we are all learning together.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply Bruce and will keep learning as you suggest...
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't let the lack of response to your efforts dissuade you - they will help others down the line.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @larry_hawes & others
    Not all people expect to get an answer 'right away'. Many times I tend to keep some other forums window open for weeks before getting answer (if getting replies at all). That could be the reason why someone new to Onshape and it's community might create account with some spare email and post a question and think they will check it next time (could be months) when the issue pops in their mind.

I encourage everyone to keep the browser open for next hours after asking something and replying when problem is solved / if OP needs further help.

Forum and people here are just great!

When in learning state, people usually spend more time with webinars etc. and pick up things that more experienced users don't necessarily pay attention. And Onshape has been around only few years, there's no veterans yet - and software has changed so much every year that we need to constantly think of the best workflow with current toolset.  
    //rami
  • Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    It may be a good idea to put some of these netiquette rules in writing for the forums as a continuation of @NeilCooke post https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9107/forum-post-checklist#latest

What do you think?
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    3dcad said:
    @larry_hawes & others
    Not all people expect to get an answer 'right away'. Many times I tend to keep some other forums window open for weeks before getting answer (if getting replies at all). That could be the reason why someone new to Onshape and it's community might create account with some spare email and post a question and think they will check it next time (could be months) when the issue pops in their mind.

I encourage everyone to keep the browser open for next hours after asking something and replying when problem is solved / if OP needs further help.

Forum and people here are just great!

When in learning state, people usually spend more time with webinars etc. and pick up things that more experienced users don't necessarily pay attention. And Onshape has been around only few years, there's no veterans yet - and software has changed so much every year that we need to constantly think of the best workflow with current toolset.  
    I agree with your sentiments and am not one to expect a reply 'right away' and can pretty easily ignore the non-responses as I do in many other forums I participate in but I feel a bit of a duck out of water on this forum as a rather new member and am just beginning to learn OnShape's ways and methods so the non-responses leave a bit more of a mark than even I expected.

I think it's the interaction and participation that's the best parts of forums such as these and without that interaction its just a bit cold.

I also agree that the "Forum and people here are just great! "