Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Why Onshape Documents Make You More Productive on the Manufacturing Floor

John_P_DesiletsJohn_P_Desilets Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 235

For this forum post, I’m sharing a Public Document showing how Onshape can store and manage a manufacturing project. This example also contains a PDF that was pushed to the Document through an add-on. Created by @lougallo, this add-on is designed for users to include information such as setup sheets, pricing guides, project details and more directly into an Onshape Document. This will be covered more in detail.

Onshape Public Document: 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/09cc47bf3c4fbfb816a0d18a/w/ddc0a0cfc96247042579b8af/e/7f7b390afa846c11530adf87

The shared example is a common manufacturing project that would traditionally be broken out into several different file locations. This type of project can be very difficult to manage in traditional file-based systems. If a user on the shop floor needed to view a portion of the project, they would need to search through the network to locate the information. In most cases, they will find several copies and iterations of the project and need to sift through them to find the correct version. In manufacturing, you may have several operations and processes needed to manufacture a single part. Managing all this data is tedious and involves many copies (OP 1, OP 2, and so on). All of these operations are stored on the network or a local drive as a copy. In most cases, the setup person will need to access this information to be as efficient as possible when machining the part.

How can you manage this better? Onshape! Since Onshape is professional CAD and PDM built into one, you can organize an entire manufacturing project and CAD data into one single location. With this project-level container, you have the ability to not only version control the CAD data, but also your manufacturing process data through versioning and branching.

For this project, I created the following:

• A manufacturing assembly and work holding device.

• The part, stock, and all associated drawings.

• The tooling information and 3D models for G-code simulation.

• The Mastercam file used to create the tool paths.

• The posted G-Code file, and;

• A video of the Mastercam toolpath simulation.

Onshape PDF Add-on

The first tab in the Document is a setup sheet called “Onshape Cover Sheet.” This was created in Google Docs as a template and was pushed into the Onshape Document through an add-on. In this example, the purpose of the add-on is to allow you to update your setup sheet as the project evolves with one click. The add-on also allows you to create a QR code from a URL automatically. This add-on is unique and is currently still pending further development. We are looking to generate interest before releasing it to the Onshape App Store. If you think this add-on would be useful to you, please let us know. We’d appreciate your suggestions and feedback.

@brucebartlett

@bryan_lagrange

PDF Example In Detail

The “Onshape Cover Document” utilizes hyperlinks to navigate between different tabs in the Onshape Document. The example sheet also contains QR codes that are tied to tabs in the Document as well. This allows anyone to navigate through the Document quickly by clicking on a link or scanning a QR code. If you are on a tablet, you can easily press on a link and be brought right to the tab. If you have a printed copy of the setup sheet, you can scan the QR code on any device and be brought right to the Onshape Document tab as well. The best part about all of this is that it is secure! Only users who you have shared the Document with will have access. This gives the shop floor setup person the ability to scan the code and locate the information they need quickly, efficiently, and securely. As long as the PDF document is up to date, the setup person will always have access to the latest version.

Multi-Company Collaboration

I originally designed this project for a demonstration to show multi-company collaboration. From part design to manufacturing, the demo story goes as follows. I am a job shop manufacturing company with many CNC machines in house. My customer, Saulin Industries, has shared a document with me with a part to produce. I am able to communicate directly with my customer through Onshape to discuss project details. We can exchange information such as scheduling, quoting labor cost, or just general questions regarding the process. After the Document is shared with me, I can tie the part into my process for the manufacturing. Since we are sharing the Document, if my customer pushed an update, I am able to see a newer version is available and can version my workflow as needed.

On my end, playing the role of the manufacturer, I need to choose my approach on how to produce the part. This approach includes what work holding device to use, the stock size, the CNC machine appropriate for the part, and programming the tool paths in CAM. When I am done producing the tool paths, I can load the CAM project into the Onshape Document to store in a version or branch. Now I have the entire manufacturing project in Onshape and can share this out to the shop floor for production. If an update is pushed from my customer, I am able to see this change and adjust my manufacturing project to suit. To do this, I can create a version or a branch and adjust my project to manufacture this part in the same workspace. I will need to update the CAM project in Mastercam and after that is complete, I can load the new CAM project into the version or branch of Onshape that I just created.

CAM Project Version Control

For version controlling the CAM project, I simply made a branch for OP1 and OP2 and loaded the corresponding CAM project into that branch. OP1 to branch OP 1 SIDE A, and OP 2 to branch OP 2 SIDE B. This is the beauty of a built-in PDM system!

In summary, this example not only highlights how Onshape is able to help your design process, but also show how to store all the manufacturing data into one central location. From the part design to the manufacturing process, your Onshape project container (or Document) helps keep your workflow current and transparent to your entire team. With the aid of an add-on, you have the opportunity to include crucial project data unique to your workflow directly into Onshape. From setup sheets to pricing guides, an add-on may be an excellent complement to your workflow. Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Comments

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Look's pretty neat John. 

I'll have to have a play. I am after a graphical way to link my documents and share info.

May take a little time to digest.

Bruce

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    How do we get @lougallo 's  Google Doc App?
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    John_P_DesiletsJohn_P_Desilets Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 235
    @brucebartlett

It is not available as of yet. It's just a prototype. We are looking to generate more interest before making it official. 
  • Options
    bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks John. I am going to look this over and give you some feedback. Excellent job sir.
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Options
    The google doc app add on looks like a true game changer. 
    Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    Wish I could give more than 1 up vote.
    Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    John_ 

Great job

• Options
    michael_rattnermichael_rattner Member Posts: 24 PRO
    We do a lot of R&D type engineering - one-offs that may or may not ever be made again. This frequently leads to times when people realize a tool-path is wrong and make a quick fix that never makes it back to the main project. Anything that allows us to have better record keeping as to how something was made is a major bonus.

We are currently installing KeyedIn as our manufacturing ERP. Their factory floor interface runs on an iPad, so I can see how this (and OS) would integrate well with that. 

In other words, I really like this.
  • Options
    romeo_grahamromeo_graham OS Professional Posts: 9
    I'd like to give the Doc a try for sure. We don't directly manufacture parts, but as a product development firm, we have many (many) samples of various versions of physical parts around. If the box they were in could have a label that included a QR link to the 3D files used for that version of the physical part, it would be fantastic. For some projects, we have several years' worth of history, and being able to find the relevant part file that easily would be amazing.
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew OS Professional, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 26 PRO
    edited June 2017
    We would love to test this as we do robotic integration and build out projects sometimes.  We are working on developing our flow from engineering to assembly and programming and would love to have something like this that we can put in the hand of the field engineers from development so that they can see how something should be put together and then link directly to the model.  If you send this to Beta we would definitely love to test
  • Options
    @John_P_Desilets

Attached is a sample interactive .pdf that I created for a work order. Right now it is crude. I need to learn more about the version history commands in Onshape to group everything better. I would also set up a google sheet for QC inspection sheet. And I need to figure out how to center the links on the image. Right now you need to click at the bottom of the image to activate the link. And a lot of the docs or sample images I found on the internet (these would be replaced with the real thing once in use).I wanted to get it done to prepare to share it with the company brass on Monday and of course with the Onshape community.

Through basing on your example I made a one stop file that can be stored locally on our server, and when opened direct everyone on the shop floor where to get the necessary information in order to create the part and log in time and other information as well. Give me some feed back.

I also came to the conclusion that the .pdf is best opened in Google Chrome so the links stay active.

Once again thank you for the inspiration of your work.
    Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    I added some QR codes so if you have the printed hardcopy you can scan the frist with your phone or tablet and open the Onshape doc with all the files and links. I open the second so the QR would open the time clock google sheet to see time being added and how it is progressing through the shop.
    Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Looks like a nice tool BUT the issue currently is how to get rid of all those spreadsheets and pdf's and have everything in ERP? A lot of custom code is produced for companies to avoid employees making calculations etc. using spreadsheets that are stored in different places.

Including google docs is a good thing and I can see myself using that too, but in the end I would like to access design data directly from orderline or product in erp. At some point I will try to put some more thought on this and begin development for our own use. At first, I need to standardize our design process that has changed a lot with with Onshape and all updates giving more possibilities. After configurations I should be able to figure out the process.

What do you guys think? Does your company rely on spreadsheets or do you have erp/mrp II?
    //rami
  • Options
    chris_winters404chris_winters404 Member Posts: 37 PRO
    edited June 2017
    Utilizing the a QR code for clocking in and out is already proven on manufacturing floors. The great thing about it now is that everyone has a smartphone and the query can be set up in google forms. Gsuite has quite a few options for ERP configuration and can be set up in a dashboard configuration with permissions set up per employee. The initial setup isn't hard to upgrade and refine. Everything is setup to go to a secure vault so if needed it can be brought back to any time in the systems history. Alot of what is happening in MRP and ERP and CMS modules are happening in spreadsheets that are locked from view. The same thing is happening behind CNC controls that run G&M code, they all use a series of macros to control up and downstream communication incorporating 5 slot parametric logic to build the roadmap. The other trick is finding a macro wizard that is passionate about working with a shop to build it and keep improving it.