Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Can't access Offset Mate using Fastened Mate

devon_sowelldevon_sowell Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
Hello All-

I can't seem to access the Offset Mate dialog box using Fastened Mate, it doesn't display. Any tips?

Thanks in advance,
Devon Sowell

Devon Sowell
Engineering Consulting Partner
Professor, Engineering Technology, Palomar College, San Marcos, CA
sowelldevon@gmail.com
760 809 9046
CarlsbadCAD Carlsbad,CA
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited March 2015
    Interesting, I've never seen that offset check box. Makes sense though, better than offsetting the Mate Connector although that may have other benefits if changing mate type.

It's in the help, https://cad.onshape.com/help/#mate-fastened.htm updated the 9 of march. So I must be doing something wrong

I tried starting a new doc, I still don't see it. Onshape any idea's?
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • devon_sowelldevon_sowell Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
    Bruce the Mate Connector can be offset? I'll try that
    Devon Sowell
    sowelldevon@gmail.com
    760 809 9046
    CarlsbadCAD Carlsbad,CA
    I just tried to Offset a Mate Connector in the Part Studio 9in along the Y axis and I got an error message & the Mate Connector was Red in the Tree.
    Devon Sowell
    sowelldevon@gmail.com
    760 809 9046
    CarlsbadCAD Carlsbad,CA
  • james_mcpherson11762james_mcpherson11762 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    I've been using the offset mate connector feature for this type of mate. Don't know why your's isn't working, but it's worked on all my tries so far.

-Jim
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    This is a screw up on our part.  This is a feature we were hoping to have ready for the last update but decided that it didn't fit the level of quality and user experience we intend for so we've decided not to release it yet.

Sorry for the confusion.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
    jramlsey no worries, thanks for the information
    Devon Sowell
    sowelldevon@gmail.com
    760 809 9046
    CarlsbadCAD Carlsbad,CA
  • ace_deuceace_deuce Member Posts: 1
    jramlsey said:
    This is a screw up on our part.  This is a feature we were hoping to have ready for the last update but decided that it didn't fit the level of quality and user experience we intend for so we've decided not to release it yet.

Sorry for the confusion.

Just a comment, but offsetting a face of a part from another face in an assembly is basic. I shouldn't have to create a mate connector that is offset from a part just to achieve this. That just adds clutter to either the part tree or the assembly tree. I hope this feature (the offset check box in fastener mates) gets added soon. Other than that, the assembly process has been great.
    Hello Malay-

The error message disappears when I try to <Shift-Print Screen> the message says
    "Mate connector 1 did regenerate properly: Cannot resolve entities." The Mate Connector is red as you can see. I picked the origin part. I'm still learning so perhaps I'm doing it wrong?

Thanks

Devon Sowell
    sowelldevon@gmail.com
    760 809 9046
    CarlsbadCAD Carlsbad,CA
  • fernando_4fernando_4 Member Posts: 5
    jramsley said:

Sorry for the confusion.
    I understand the importance of maintaining the level of quality of your product, but I expect this feature to be released soon, because it is important for our use.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Fernando you can do this now with creating a Mate connector and using the move command.  This new feature that is not there yet will make this a bit easier.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Creating a mate connector with move command is quite handy, coming from Alibre I had made a dozen of planar mates for building a simple kitchen cabinet. It felt somehow clomsy so I forced myself to read manual and get into mate connectors - now same cabinet has 4 fastened mates, brilliant.

@LouGallo One question about moving mate connector, how do you know directions for x, y and z and what is positive/negative value direction without testing? First I assumed it's using global coordinates (which are visible on the cube at all time) but it's not.. 
    //rami
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    3dcad said:
    @LouGallo One question about moving mate connector, how do you know directions for x, y and z and what is positive/negative value direction without testing? First I assumed it's using global coordinates (which are visible on the cube at all time) but it's not.. 
    The mate connector graphic has RGB (x,y,z) axes associated to it when you inference one.  The offsets are in those directions.

The blue/z axis is always made normal to the face it is inferred from (outward facing), aligned with an edge, or aligned with the center of a cylindrical face.
    Jake Ramsley

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Good one @jramsley , I will have to etch that into my memory, RGB = XYZ, is this any where else in Onshape?

Good one @jramsley , I will have to etch that into my memory, RGB = XYZ, is this any where else in Onshape?

You can see it on the view cube as well as the measure graphics (i.e. highlighting a length/distance delta in the measure area).  

RGB = xyz is pretty standard for CAD as you'll see it in SolidWorks, Solid Edge, Inventor, and NX.  
    Jake Ramsley

@jramsleyI've never really taken that much notice, normally I would just look for the xyz notation, however colour is probably already subliminally locked in my though, I'll take note from now on. 
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @jramsley  Ok, I wondered why mate connectors look like christmas decorations but that makes positioning very clear.. Thanks.

//rami