Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - August 16th, 2017

NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
edited August 2017 in New in Onshape
It's update time again!  Enjoy this latest round of improvements and as always, leave your comments below.

REAL-TIME CHAT IN COMMENTS

The comments system now supports real-time text chat between multiple users working in the same Document.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/ve5muskqij?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

ANGLE FLANGE BY REFERENCE

You can now specify an angle reference when creating a sheet metal flange.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/uu04bl23e8?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

MERGE SCOPE FOR SURFACES

When creating surfaces using Onshape's advanced modeling tools, you can now specify a merge scope and choose which surfaces to merge them with.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/tcqcyipmov?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

DATUM EXTENSION LINES

A datum symbol can now be dragged off a face and an extension line is automatically created.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/bnlrveukci?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

GRIP EDIT RADIAL AND DIAMETER DIMENSIONS

You can now edit the target geometry for radial and diameter dimensions using the grip point at the tip of the arrowhead.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/g4au5htr9a?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

COPY ANNOTATIONS BETWEEN DRAWINGS

As well as being able to copy annotations such as Notes, Surface Finish symbols, Weld symbols, Geometric Tolerances and Tables between Sheets of the same Drawing, you can now also copy and paste them into different Drawings in the same Document and Drawings in other Documents too. This makes it much easier to copy standard annotations from one Drawing to another.

UPDATE VERSIONED DRAWINGS TO REFLECT CHANGES TO METADATA

This latest update contains a significant architectural change designed to improve your ability to implement a release management workflow using Onshape. This work lays the foundation for new capabilities that you will see in future releases. We are making this feature available now so that you can take advantage of this new workflow and you can read a more detailed explanation here to explain our thinking and direction.  

VERSIONED DRAWING THUMBNAILS

Now when a version of a Document is created, a thumbnail is generated for each Part, Assembly, and Drawing so you can see at a glance how that Drawing looked at that version when using the Tab Manager or other tools that display thumbnails.

Note: the thumbnail is generated after a versioned drawing has been viewed for the first time.

QUICK LINKS TO IMAGE FILES IN DRAWINGS

You can now quickly find the source file of an image added to a drawing by right clicking the image and selecting one of two available options. If the image is located within the active Document, the menu will display "Switch to <element name>" and you will be taken straight to that tab. If the image was linked from another Document, the menu will display "Open linked document" and the image tab within that linked Document will be opened in a new browser tab.

OPEN VIEW PROPERTIES FROM VIEW AND SCALE LABELS

When you double click a view label or a scale label, the view properties dialog will now appear. Previously, double clicking these labels would allow you to edit the text in the label. If you still wish to do this, right click the label and select "Edit note". For your convenience, the right-click context menu for labels now also includes all the options found on the view right-click context menu, and the options for "Copy" and "Move to" have been removed.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and let us know what you think!  

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.
Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Comments

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Ah simple chat is finally here, great!

One question though, if pro user share doc with free user, can they chat?

And other great things for thin & flat & 2D people ;)

Awesome progress!
    //rami
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    @3dcad yes - in the video the "middle" user is a free user
    Great, I find this feature very useful!
    //rami
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Very nice!

Real-Time chat with pop-up notifications ! perfect for my tunnel vision

Angle flange by reference! Sweet I can now get rid of a crap load of variables and other work arounds

All the drawing updates looking good
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Great to see some more updates, improvements to the comments are welcome as are the drawing and surfacing improvements.

Special thanks to @lana  for the flange align in sheet metal this should work a treat for those complex angle jobs. 

With comments and Onshape over the past few weeks, I have been trying to reduce my reliance on marked up screen shots by using comments but I am finding that the screen shot still serves me well. I regularly load Onshape on my phone take a screen markup with iPhone mark up tools and place in my chat or email. Tagging to geometry and zooming to the view angle of the tag is great but I am thinking we still need some form of markup.  

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I like the new path you are following with this option to update versioned drawings to reflect the changes in the Metadata

Maybe we are a bit closer to let free users (Non-CAD user) to update Metadata as I wrote here 

There is another nice improvement, in FeatureScript you can now set the focus to the component of the UI that you want with the UIHint INITIAL_FOCUS ;-)
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    3dcad said:

And other great things for thin & flat & 2D people ;)

We just need something now for those with multi personalities, maybe next month ;)

• emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    attend to your configuration @brucebartlett ;-)
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
    I still have my beer in cold for that. Though I would like to have everything now, I highly appreciate Onshape for keeping the high quality in testing and not trying to release more than they have ready.
    //rami
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Special thanks to @lana  for the flange align in sheet metal this should work a treat for those complex angle jobs. 
    Lana does a ton of great work with sheet metal (and beyond), but she wasn't the one who did flange alignment.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    @brucebartlett
    Thank you for giving us the idea for flange alignment. The credit for implementation goes to @Jake_Rosenfeld
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Thanks @lana and @brucebartlett !!
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    Is this new or did I just never notice it before?

lana said:
    @brucebartlett
    Thank you for giving us the idea for flange alignment. The credit for implementation goes to @Jake_Rosenfeld

Now it's much easier to do this part
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @Tony_C_ Sorry, it's been there a while. 
    You can also RMB over any mate and get the same option :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Tony_C_ said:
    Is this new or did I just never notice it before?

Animate went live May 26, 2016

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/3909/improvements-to-onshape-may-26th-2016
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
    I have found another little improvement... Type for variable feature

Un saludo,

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited August 2017
    ^^^ Yeah @NeilCooke - how come we didn't tell people about that one? :)
    (this is where he tells me it wasn't new this release)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    @philip_thomas I guess @ilya_baran must have snuck that one in there without telling anyone!  :D

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Great work guys, thanks for the updates.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    @NeilCooke
    No one noticed the most important update!  Variables are now named "#foo = 37 in" instead of "Variable #foo = 37 in" (new variables, that is -- old features stay as is).
    This is nice, thanks @ilya_baran. :)

Please sir, can we have some more?

Example.
    If we declare a variable lets say "MyLength = 100 mm"
    An open sketch dimension field shows "#MyLength"
    A closed sketch dimension field shows "100"

I'd really prefer the closed sketch dimension field to show "#MyLength = 100 mm" in a box that resizes so we can see the full text at once.

Thankingyouplease,

Owen S.

HWM-Water Ltd
    @ilya_baran
    A BIG thanks for this! It is so huge that maybe @NeilCooke thought he would make another thread will full lenght movie..
    //rami
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    @owen_sparks
    That would require some UX thinkng -- the balance is against taking up space on the screen and "noise" in a busy sketch.

@3dcad
    Nah, we were just going to do a press conference.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
    Thanks @ilya_baran
    We need something that shows if a sketch dimension is driven by a variable.  Currently we have to open each dimension to see if there is a variable hiding behind it.  Be that a different colour, an icon, or preferably the name and value.   Just something.  Even showing "#100" in my example above is just one extra character...

Cheers, Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would require some UX thinkng -- the balance is against taking up space on the screen and "noise" in a busy sketch.
    it may be the place for several checkbox options in sketch dialog deactivated by default, such as - show external references (to hilight by another color constraints to external geometry) and show variables in dimentions
    edited August 2017
    I would like to have button (and hotkey) to switch between just value / #variablename = value. This is because I take a lot of screenshots with 'show dimensions' view and I don't want var-names messing up my MBD =)
    //rami
  • 3dit_software3dit_software Member Posts: 5 PRO
    Thanks for those Datum extensions, Thumbnails and metadata upgrades!
  • thomas_rumblethomas_rumble Member Posts: 1
    The chat capabilities and flange reference angle are huge improvements! "Update versioned drawings" has me excited for what we can expect in the following months :smiley:
  • amCADamCAD Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Very good. Any improvement on surface modelling is more than welcome.