Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - October 19th, 2017

NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
edited October 2017 in New in Onshape
It's time for another update and this one includes some very popular improvement requests! There's something for everyone, so let's dig in....

FOLDERS

You can now organize and group your Documents together using Folders. Each top level Folder can be shared with an individual, a team or your entire company to make Document sharing and permission management much simpler.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/3r3fm2fa8d?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

SELECT OTHER SHORTCUT KEY

You can now select hidden geometry by pressing a new shortcut key on your keyboard to start the Select Other command. You can keep pressing this key to cycle through the available selections, then press the left mouse button to select the highlighted geometry. This shortcut key may be different depending upon your keyboard layout, but its location will be the same (above the Tab key). For example, on a US or UK keyboard it is the Grave Accent ( ` ), on a German keyboard it is the Caret ( ^ ) and on a Spanish keyboard it is the Degree symbol ( ° ). 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/ri12eo4cfj?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

PATTERN & MIRROR SHEET METAL PARTS

Part Pattern and Part Mirror features can now be added to active sheet metal parts.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/2vp9y8yre1?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

FILL SURFACE GUIDES

Fill surface can now use curves as well as vertices to control the shape of the surface. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/fn0c4p59od?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

DUPLICATE DRAWINGS & ASSEMBLIES

You can now make an exact copy of any Parts, Assemblies or Drawings using the Duplicate command on the element tab. Duplicating a Drawing or an Assembly does not make copies of the parts they reference. This is useful for creating similar subassemblies or to change minor details on a Drawing.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/pzvmb3e9px?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

COPYING ANNOTATIONS

Notes, Geometric Tolerance frames, Surface Finish symbols, Weld symbols, Balloons and Tables can now be copied by holding down the Alt key on your keyboard and dragging with your mouse. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/2ygxluzjpb?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

END, MID & QUAD SNAPS

You can now snap to the center, end, mid and quad snap points of arcs and circles when creating 3 point centerlines in Drawings. This can be used to detail the overall diameter of a part, for example.

HIDE BEND LINES

To hide bend lines on a drawing view of a flattened sheet metal part, right click and select "Hide bend lines". Any bend notes shown on the view will also be hidden at the same time. When bend lines are hidden, the option to "Show bend notes" will not be available on the right-click context menu. Select "Show bend lines" to display them again.

EDGE HIGHLIGHTING

More annotation types now support edge highlighting in Drawings. Hover your cursor over a GD&T Frame, a Surface Finish symbol or a Datum and the edge it is associated with will highlight in blue.

PERFORMANCE

In every update we improve performance across the entire product. This update includes speed improvements to model regeneration, opening assemblies and shaded and hidden line view generation in Drawings. 

DELETE PUBLIC PLAN ACCOUNTS

If you have multiple Onshape Public Plan accounts and would like to consolidate them - first transfer ownership of all documents to a single account and then delete the unused accounts by selecting "Delete my Onshape account". This can be found at the bottom of your Profile page under Manage Account. Once you have confirmed deletion, your account and your data will no longer be recoverable. This operation cannot be undone so please be sure you have transferred ownership of all your data first.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this latest update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.
Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Comments

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited October 2017
    Great update!

Folders make sharing among company so much easier and copying also assemblies & drawings and especially short cut for 'select other' will be very useful.

Thanks!
    //rami
  • michael_bromleymichael_bromley Member Posts: 110 PRO
    Nice update! I'm looking forward to using the 'select other' shortcut key
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited October 2017
    Awesome list of updates. The select other quick key looks like a superb solution to that very common slow workflow, I am sure it will become 1 of my most used. Copy Assy's and Drawings is much welcomed as is the copy notes on the drawings. Now I am off to try these out. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Kevin_at_BCWPKevin_at_BCWP Member Posts: 7 PRO
    Transferring ownership of all the files in a folder at once is awesome!  Also, newly created documents  in a folder are automatically given ownership to the folder owner. Nice update!
  • Ed_McGuireEd_McGuire OS Professional Posts: 24 PRO

END, MID & QUAD SNAPS YEEEEEESSS!!!!!!!!!!  :smiley:  Thanks Onshape

• emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome update!!
    One of the more complete updates this year
    Love the pattern & mirror in sheet metal parts.

In spanish keyboard you can run the "Select Other" command with the key "Ñ".

Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    AWESOME!!!  Folders & copy assemblies.

Now I wonder how ICE parts in as assembly will react...
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Is double click on a part in an Assy to take you to a proposed in context new, or have I only just discovered it today?
  • simon_a_chungsimon_a_chung Member Posts: 2
    Awesome update!  Finally we can duplicate assembly models.  Very handy tool especially when I try to explore different configuration of a similar assembly with slightly different parts.
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • daniel_cookdaniel_cook Member Posts: 48 PRO
    Love the folders update - makes it so much easier to use in front of clients without having to scroll through past heaps of documents I don't need them seeing!
  • cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
    Is double click on a part in an Assy to take you to a proposed in context new, or have I only just discovered it today?
    @brucebartlett That is not new
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310

In spanish keyboard you can run the "Select Other" command with the key "Ñ".

@emagdalenaC2C we tested several different language packs and keyboards and were satisfied that the key above tab would always be the key for select other. What key do you have above tab and what is your computer setup?

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    I have tested it in different computers (linux and windows) and the keyboard setup is Spanish (QWERTY)

Un saludo,

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Excellent!  Fill surface guides are getting us closer to full surface tools.  Select other quick key is big help.  And folders great improvement for companies esp.   Glad to see so much focus on getting drawings top level.   Thanks OS team!
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • alex_peraltaalex_peralta Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Congratulations to the entire team, I've been following the evolution of this software for the last year, and it's absolutely fantastic.

I would like to leave a question regarding this update, is Duplicate the same as Branching?

All the best,
    Alex Peralta
  • jiri_ros_jiri_ros_ Member Posts: 1

Very cumbersome on macOS Czech keyboard. The key is invoked by Shift + [key above right shift]

Is it possible to remap?

-jiri

• EvanEvan Onshape Employees Posts: 62
    jiri_ros_ said:

Very cumbersome on macOS Czech keyboard. The key is invoked by Shift + [key above right shift]

Is it possible to remap?

-jiri

Not currently, @jiri_ros_.  Please vote for this enhancement here: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/30814
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    I would like to leave a question regarding this update, is Duplicate the same as Branching?
    Hi alex_peralta,

No, duplicating an Assembly/Drawing is not the same as Branching.  When duplicating a tab, you are creating a copy in the same workspace that is now independent of the original (ie you can edit/modify/delete either one without affecting the other).  All of the references of the Assembly/Drawing are still valid though, so if you were to make a change to a sub-assembly, part, Part Studio, etc. it will propagate to both copies in the same workspace.  

When branching, they are still effectively the same Assembly/Drawing in a new workspace.  You've essentially taken a snapshot of your document and start working on it in a parallel timeline (for the entire document).  This means it is possible to work on a separate design idea and then merge those changes back into the other workspace and have your original Assembly/Drawing update to reflect that.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    @alex_peralta
    Duplicate creates a copy of the element(Part Studio/Assembly/Drawing) in the same workspace. The copy will have no associative link to the originating element. It is equivalent to adding a new element and rebuilding that element from scratch.
    Branch is a fork in the document modification history, opening a new workspace. Elements in the new workspace a "the same" as the ones in the old workspace in the sense that when comparing or merging branches it is actually different states of the same element which  are getting matched. Hope this makes sense.
  • fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    Duplicate assembly is awesome! Big Time saver for me. Will need to try out the new folders...
  • florianflorian Member, OS Professional Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    You forgot to mention the "Duration bar with animation" in the regeneration time list :wink:
    I noticed there are changes to the comments section as well, maybe only just the look not any new features. I am still finding I need to use skype or hangouts alongside Onshape. I think the ability to add screenshots and even marked up screenshots or even marked up screen overlay into comments would be really powerful on top of tagged geometry. Heres my request https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/7406/load-picture-to-comments#latest
  • bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    All are very welcome and will be put to use immediately.

• don_howedon_howe Member Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I was almost ready to say "Amen" to folders improvement and while this improvement is welcomed, you really need to focus on getting folders in the "feature tree" of OS. Just my opinion.

I really like the fill surface guides improvement but how do you accesses it? Is it under loft, does it have it's own icon?

• SledDriverSledDriver Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    "SELECT OTHER SHORTCUT KEY" is not working here on two different computers. I have watched the video several times, UK English keyboard, brand new and old drawings. Nada, zilch, no response to the key above the TAB key at all.

Any ideas?
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @don_howe ,

The "Fill" feature is a separate feature than loft.  Here is a helpful page about its use:
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/fill.htm

@SledDriver ,
    Please report a bug to us using the "Report a bug" or "Feedback" button from the "?" menu in a document.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • janos_horvathjanos_horvath Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    Cool update again!

Fellow Hungarians, use "ö" button to activate the select other command. ;)
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited October 2017
    "SELECT OTHER SHORTCUT KEY" is not working here on two different computers. I have watched the video several times, UK English keyboard, brand new and old drawings. Nada, zilch, no response to the key above the TAB key at all.

Any ideas?
    Same here (UK KB) the key above TAB does nothing, but the key labeled with
    @
     '
    found up and left of the right hand shift key does invoke the "select other" function.

Cheers,

Owen S
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd