Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - January 18th, 2018

NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
edited January 2018 in New in Onshape
Just two weeks since the last update! This update comes with some highly requested improvements to drawings, materials and custom features.

FORESHORTENED RADIUS

Radial dimensions on large concave arcs can now be foreshortened to make your Drawings easier to read. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/uce6nyx4vo?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

ROTATE TEXT IN DRAWINGS

A new rotation drag handle has been added to notes without leaders.

VIEW HIGHLIGHTING IN DRAWINGS

It is now much easier to discover which drawing view a section, detail or auxiliary view came from. The section line, detail circle or auxiliary projection line are now highlighted when you hover your mouse over the view and vice versa.

COMPANY-WIDE MATERIAL LIBRARIES

A Company account administrator can now add company-owned material libraries to all user accounts. To enable this, go to "My account" under your profile icon in the top right corner, then "Company", then "Preferences".

DRAG & DROP DOCUMENTS INTO FOLDERS

In the "My Onshape" filter on the Documents Page, you can now drag and drop documents and folders into other folders making it faster and easier to organize your Documents.

IMPORTING SOLID EDGE FILES

You can now import Solid Edge part files (.par) and assembly files (.asm) from version 10 through ST10. To import an assembly, create a ZIP archive file containing all the parts and assemblies, then rename the ZIP file to be the same as the top-level assembly file (for example, if the top-level assembly is called water_pump.asm then your ZIP file should be called water_pump.zip). Then import the ZIP file and Onshape will create the correct assembly structure.

EDIT PART PROPERTIES WITH FEATURESCRIPT

You can now edit part properties using FeatureScript. For example, if your custom feature creates a new part, like a spur gear, you can set its part name to be equal to the module and number of teeth.

The new setProperty function can be used to set any part properties like Name, Part number or Description as well as material and appearance.

In this simple example, a custom feature added at the end of the Feature list can be used to set the name of a part. Because custom features can be configured, you can add each "segment" of the custom Part Number feature to a configuration table and build a new part number based on the configuration selected or variable value entered.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.
Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Sneaky Onshape people
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • patrick_anthonypatrick_anthony Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    Great additions :)
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Cool stuff

I was thinking just yesterday how I wanted a rotating text option for some flow arrows. Beat me to it this time onShape :)

Defiantly will take advantage of featurescript properties
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Nice One!!!  I am looking forward to getting an FS try set part name, Part No., Description, Materials, etc. Lots of potential to improve workflows here taking away some of the retyping and cutting and paste at the end of a project which drives me crazy. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • RyanAveryRyanAvery Member Posts: 93 EDU
    Nice update guys. Keeping it agile! 
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    In the example for the part properties with FS,

Flange 3, Slot and Extrude 1 fail to regenerate when the config variables are: length: 100mm and Configuration: Left
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Purely awesome :star::star::star::star::star:

I'm still adjusting my workflows with the last update and yet you have another package coming

Helpful updates for everyone, drag&drop streamlines document handling and drawing improvements ease up the general frustration of making drawings.

But company wide materials and using FS to edit part properties will be huge for certain user groups!
    //rami
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    @mbartlett21 thanks, fixed it. I just threw that example together without testing thoroughly. Props to @ilya_baran for the custom feature!
  • florianflorian Member, OS Professional Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    Nice! Finally auto renaming parts with variables :) A few days ago I was looking for the improvement request and could not find it…
  • Foreshortened radius dimensions are awesome, this has been bugging me for a while. The view highlighting and drag and drop are going to be very useful. good work OS.
  • Ben_MisegadesBen_Misegades Member Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    Foreshortened radius dimensions are awesome, this has been bugging me for a while. The view highlighting and drag and drop are going to be very useful. good work OS.
    Agreed! Just a few days ago I ran into issues with the radius dimensions, it's like OS staff is reading my mind!
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solid Edge import!!!!!! My prayers to the Onshape gods have been answered!

Next step, ability to upload a Solid Edge sheet metal model and flatten it in Onshape. 
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    oh, no; I thought we were done with folders. Folders is a paradigm of the last century. The structure for organization that is future proof is tags. 
    oh, no; I thought we were done with folders. Folders is a paradigm of the last century. The structure for organization that is future proof is tags. 
    Yes indeed, and in onshape speak they're known as labels and work very well indeed, but for those that still wish to use folders they're available too.  :)

Owen S
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just noticed for Solid Edge..... Onshape can open .par and .asm.......When will we see the ability to open .psm? This is the file extension for Sheet metal parts in Solid Edge.
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• hans_haenleinhans_haenlein Member Posts: 9 PRO
    I've just been told that:
    Onshape has been updated to address your ticket:

"Show sketches in existing drawing views"

This update (1.74.20341.43fc8fee8221) has been pushed to cad.onshape.com and is live for all users of Onshape. This version is displayed at the bottom of the Documents page or by clicking the ? menu and selecting About.

I've got the update ok, but I can't find where this function has been placed. I've regenerated the drawing, and when I right-click over the view I'm not seeing anything like Show Sketch, not finding it any where else either.  Any clues?
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    @hans_haenlein looks like that has been sent in error. 
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @hans_haenlein I am not sure how that was closed.. Sorry about that. It is in the works.  `Lou
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • hans_haenleinhans_haenlein Member Posts: 9 PRO
    OK, thanks. I was excited there for a moment.
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
    If we follow the current trend of updates it has been 3 weeks and then 2 weeks, so next must be 1 week and zero weeks so that's 2 new releases tomorrow then, happy days.

OwS.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
    @ilya_baran Nailed It
    @ilya_baran

Well played Sir.  I was going with the poncy Latin "reductio ad absurdum" but like yours better :):)
    Cheers,

Owen S.

HWM-Water Ltd
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    @owen_sparks If you look closely to the dates, you can see that the update from 2nd January was 1 week too late and the update from 18th of January was just on time :D
  • john_mceleneyjohn_mceleney Onshape Employees Posts: 57
    @sebastian_glanzner Santa needs a break every once in a while too : -)
    Santa gets 364 days of rest... Get back to work! 

• sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    edited January 2018
    That's all right, the whole Onshape Team deserverd it!

I didn't knew that Santa is also working for Onshape  :D
    Now I understand how all these "Improvement Requests" and "Wishlists" work:
    Only the "well-behaving" customers get their wishes granted in the next update ;)

PS: Can I get a color switch in Onshape?  :) Please? https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/8146/