Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Need a warning message when creating drawing of a part studio vs. a part

In this example - I created a drawing by right clicking the part studio from the tab manager to create a drawing (This particular part studio only had one part)

After spending a significant amount of time adding drawing details and dimensions - I went back to update the part properties so the information linked back to the drawing would auto-populate.
The information did not carry over because I had created a drawing of a "part studio" and NOT the "part" itself.  (see image below)
Currently there is no means of redirecting your drawing to another source through the "sheet properties" tab and this drawing will ALWAYS look at the "part studio" properties.

Potential Solutions:

1. There needs to be a warning message that pops up to warn the user that OnShape will tie the drawing to "part studio" and not the "part".  (see image below)
or
2. There needs to a method of redirecting a sheet properties link to another Onshape object.

Comments

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    Maybe make it only if there is one part in the Part Studio.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • karen_wagner223karen_wagner223 Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    I'm really confused as to what properties I have to fill out to get the data to correctly display how I want it where I want it. Im creating a company specific tip document for our users and am confused by all the different areas to enter property data. The part tab is one, workspace properties is another and then document properties again at the drawing level. Am I making this too complicated or is there a simple explanation of the purpose for each of these different property containers? I need data properties to populate to parts lists, drawing fields ie: Part Number, Description...I searched training but all I can find is data management which doesnt really go in depth for assigning properties. 
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @steven_elliott555 We want to avoid messages and warnings.. We deal with this a lot due to a missed step in insertion of a view.  Picking the top node of the insert dialog will insert the studio vs the part.. However I think the best option would be to have the option to change it.

Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • steven_elliott555steven_elliott555 Member Posts: 24 PRO
    lougallo if you can get around warning messages by being able to redirect the sheet properties to another Onshape object - then great.  I actually came back to this forum request so I could share this discussion with a team member who just got burned by this yesterday.
  • Bill_MartinBill_Martin Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Pete Yodis set up a "ticket" for me on this very same thing.  Not sure if that means it is an official feature request somewhere that people can vote up?
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited November 2018
    My vote would be to just to make it so the part studio's cannot be made into a drawing, ever, that should be an easy fixed.  
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, users should never create a drawing of a Part Studio.

IMHO this should be disabled by default in the settings
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    I agree with warning. 

I had a detailer do my drawings and that is his biggest problem.

I make him re detail half the project every time because of this common mistake
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited November 2018
    Actually, users should never create a drawing of a Part Studio.

IMHO this should be disabled by default in the settings
    Sometimes you may want this. I know there are many who don't use assemblies. In which case they need to pull in a partstudio weldment

Otherwise you are 100% Correct. But many people have bad practices because they dont want or have the time to learn better methods. Esspecially hobbiests
  • philip_7philip_7 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    We have been burned by this as well.
    Even after knowing we shouldn't click on the Part Studio... it's just too easy to do when there's only one part. It's also not clear when making the selection, that there are serious implications that will result. It's also really confusing and difficult for new users to figure out the problem the first time they see it (especially if they used the same name for the Part and the Part Studio - one reason I now always try for different names). I appreciate @lougallo not wanting to add pop-up warnings - one of the best things about Onshape is lack of pop-ups and there has to be a better solution.
    At present, our work-around to avoid re-drawing an entire drawing is to add another drawing view of just the part (e.g. an isometric view that needs few or no notes) and that allows us to change the sheet reference. I would much prefer a way to change the sheet reference directly, along with some kind of interface improvement to help avoid selecting part studios in the first place unless deliberately wanted.