Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - October 1st, 2019

cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
edited October 2019 in New in Onshape
It's the first of October, exactly 20 days have passed since our last update and we are ready for another! This update focuses on usability and performance improvements in many different areas of Onshape. Let's dig in.

CAD IMPROVEMENTS

HOLE TABLE IMPROVEMENTS

We announced the addition of Hole Tables in our last release. In this update, we've made multiple improvements that make them easier to use.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/4jsjmdxnx5

GEOMETRIC TOLERANCE SYMBOL IMPROVEMENTS

You can now attach Geometric Tolerance Symbols to dimension extension lines in Onshape Drawings. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/1c2svp14bf

SHEET METAL IMPROVEMENTS

Improvements have been made to Sheet Metal in Onshape to better handle multi-edge bends in a single feature. This makes Sheet Metal more robust in situations where you have cuts across the bend.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/06k0cmrz3v

SEARCH RESULT IMPROVEMENTS

Part number, revision, and state now appear below the name when searching in Onshape. This makes it easy to see important information about the thing you are searching for without needing to open it.  You'll also notice a new icon   has been added to indicate "Latest Revision."

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/10rkhf0123

DOCUMENTS PAGE IMPROVEMENTS

You will now see the most recently edited branch when viewing the Documents list from the Documents page.

"SWITCH TO" CONTEXT MENU IMPROVEMENTS

When right-clicking a part in an assembly and using the "Switch to" command, you will now see icons to better delineate between the Part Studio and Assembly.

glTF EXPORT OPTION

You can now export parts and assemblies to the glTF file format.

LARGE ASSEMBLY PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS

Changes have been made to improve large assembly performance in several areas. This includes changes that allow Onshape to open bigger assemblies, improve selection/highlighting performance, and decrease load time.

ENTERPRISE IMPROVEMENTS

DASHBOARD PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS

Performance improvements have been made to reduce load time of many of the Analytics Dashboards in Onshape Enterprise.

LEARNING CENTER IMPROVEMENTS

"INTRO TO CAD" COURSE

You will find a new "Intro to CAD" pathway in the Learning Center. This pathway is composed of four new courses, geared to new CAD users and focuses on understanding how to model in a 3D parametric feature-based CAD system, using Onshape.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Comments

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    ah what a nice surprise to see today!  Really elegant improvements.  Makes me want to do more with sheet metal and holes.  
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Nice QOL improvements :)

Thanks for the switch to icons! Now I don't have to label my part studios with a "parts" prefix/suffix :)

I wasn't even aware you could select the bend radius like that when importing.. I always deleted the fillet's face and did it from square edges lol..
    Thanks for the lesson, and the bug fix I wasn't even aware of :smiley:

• emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
     :) Ok, great improvements
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Loving the icons, thanks Devs :)
    Happy Onshaperist over here :+1:
    Cheers,
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • gerhard_swanepoelgerhard_swanepoel Member Posts: 29 PRO
    Great sheet metal improvement.
  • FERNANDA_RAMIREZFERNANDA_RAMIREZ Member Posts: 2
    Nice improvements!
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    Nice improvements to Search Results...

...and there's even a little icon that lets you know if it's the latest Release AND the Revision:

Nice work folks.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Awesome, thanks for the update. The search improvement are very welcome. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I have not tried it yet but hopefully the sheet metal multiple bend edge shows up in the drawings as a single bend rather than multiples. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @cody_armstrong
    What is this in the changelog?

FeatureScript: Ability to name faces and have it export with Parasolid model

What has it changed in FeatureScript?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    Oooh, is this the first step towards MBD?
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    @owen_sparks  - it's for third-party apps to maintain associativity (for example, name faces for simulation boundary conditions). 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    @MBartlett21 Nothing has changed in FeatureScript (I haven't looked at it myself, but I assume face naming is done with attributes), it is the Parasolid export that has been improved. If my assumptions are incorrect I will let you know!
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    @cody_armstrong
    What is this in the changelog?

FeatureScript: Ability to name faces and have it export with Parasolid model

What has it changed in FeatureScript?
    You can use something like
    setProperty(context, {            
                "entities": someFaceQuery,
                "propertyType": PropertyType.NAME,
                "value": someString,
                "allowFaces": true
            });
    which will add a name to a face and this name will be preserved with Parasolid export.

Neil is actually a bit incorrect in that it was the setting of properties that was updated and the Parasolid export that didn't change.  We try to preserve properties on export, even ones that aren't possible to create in Onshape and should be true if you upload some foreign data and export it to Parasolid.

Neil is correct that it is work done to allow for third-party apps to leverage named faces for associativity.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So... we could
    1. create a FS to add information on some faces
    2. export to Parasolid
    3. Import in SolidWorks
    4. Run a macro in SolidWorks and read that information
    Am I right?
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Cache_River_MillCache_River_Mill Member Posts: 225 PRO
    Take my money!! These are great improvements.

Thank you Onshape.
    I love the new course "Intro to CAD".

I´m glad to see that there are many similar things in our own Onshape course in Spanish. But, of course, you have a better team of illustrators ;-)
    Un saludo,

• paolo_ciancipaolo_cianci Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    With the latest update on ios, the sketck tab and measurement information are hidden at the bottom

"Solved thanks"
  • jonathan_sessajonathan_sessa Member Posts: 10 EDU
    cant wait for mirroring in assemblies 
    Un saludo,

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited October 2019
    gltf 

hohoho Merry Christmas!

gltf is a standard for transferring the display list from onshape to webgl (the browser's graphics engine). There really is no need to have this translation unless you want to spin your OS models on your website. It's a developers thing.

This weekend, I'll be updating my website.

edited October 2019
    Loving the icons, thanks Devs :)
    Happy Onshaperist over here :+1:
    Cheers,
    Owen S.
    On second thought the icons are a great improvement but they could be, um, greaterer.
    As it stands:-
    If we want the part studio we click the grey rectangular-ish icon.
    If we desire the assembly we click the grey rectangular-ish icon... 
    That rather defeats the purpose of icons doesn't it?

If we think of every day real world cues, say traffic lights,  they're all round lights but we determine an action based on colo(u)r not on shape. 
    I get the feeling that if onshape designed road signs they'd all be grey :p;):s
    Rant mode off, and thanks for listening.
    Cheers, Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    If we want the part studio we click the grey rectangular-ish icon.
    If we desire the assembly we click the grey rectangular-ish icon... 
    That rather defeats the purpose of icons doesn't it?

If we think of every day real world cues, say traffic lights,  they're all round lights but we determine an action based on colo(u)r not on shape. 
    I get the feeling that if onshape designed road signs they'd all be grey :p;):s
    Rant mode off, and thanks for listening.
    Cheers, Owen S.
    Maybe there is Finnish UI designer? Look at our traffic signs and you see we love icons w/o any text that you just need to memorize and most of them have same shape and color.. And during winter they all turn into white/grey with fuzzy icon =)
    //rami
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Thanks for the update Onshape crew. It seems like I really have to dig into my FS and convert those cut-out cylinders into proper holes..
    //rami
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @owen_sparks

It is very hard to pick colors that are universally accessible to people with different forms of colorblindness.  Differentiating things based on shape when possible adheres much better to modern accessibility guidelines. 
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 516
    Our state indications on search results, while using colors - do show the full text of the state they are indicating, and so they work for a range of people.  We have noticed other modern platforms indicating state or status in a similar fashion.  
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    I am finding the part studio/assembly icons in context menus much easier to find. I will take monochrome over nothing any day.

becides, the clean/grey look is the main theme on Onshape since the beginning. Until they add custom themes/icon themes, there is no chance they will sprinkle color into the UI randomly :/