Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - June 24th, 2020

cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
edited June 2020 in New in Onshape
We are excited to bring you our second update this month. This update focuses on new features and usability improvements in both assemblies and drawings. Let's dig in.

CAD IMPROVEMENTS

SHOW MATES MODE

You will find a new "Show Mates Mode" feature in the assembly toolbar. This new mode allows you to mouse over parts in the assembly and dynamically see the mates highlight.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/1s5t48xsaf

SHOW MATES IMPROVEMENT

Now, when right-clicking a subassembly and choosing the option to "Show mates" you will only see the mates that constrain the subassembly to the top-level. In the past, all the mates within the subassembly would also be shown.

LARGE ASSEMBLY PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS

Improvements have been made to the assembly architecture in Onshape to improve performance of large assemblies. These improvements will result in faster load times and less memory consumption when working with large assemblies.

DRAFT ANALYSIS IMPROVEMENTS

Improvements have been made to the Draft Analysis feature to better illustrate positive and negative degrees of draft.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/b6xrngrycn

VIEW CUBE IMPROVEMENTS

Clicking the arrows around the view cube now rotates the model in 15 degree increments. Previously, each click rotated the model 45 degrees. You can also now hold down the "Shift" key when clicking the arrows around the view cube to make precise 5 degree movements as opposed to the default 15 degree movements. You can use the keyboard shortcut "Shift" + arrow keys to rotate in 5 degree increments. This can be especially useful when trying to get just the right angle for a Named view.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/pnjj0ovkhw

STANDARD CONTENT IMPROVEMENTS

ISO Standard 8734 Parallel Pins have been added to the library of Onshape Standard Content.

SHEETS FLYOUT IMPROVEMENTS

The Sheet Flyout in Onshape Drawings now displays Part Number, Version or Revision, and State of the sheet reference. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/9rzi5iy8p8

CREATE PROJECTED VIEW REFERENCING SECTION VIEW

You can now create a projected view that references a section view. The projected view is not sectioned.

SHOW SKETCH POINTS IN ONSHAPE DRAWINGS

You can now show sketch points in a drawing view in Onshape. Simply right-click a view with a sketch showing and you will see the option to "Show sketch points." You can also right-click the view and "Hide sketch points." You can control how the sketch points are displayed and their size in the Drawing properties flyout, under "Construction geometry."

CONDITIONAL VISIBILITY OF ARRAY PARAMETERS IN FEATURESCRIPT

You can now control the visibility of parameters within an array parameter with logic. This means it is now possible to create custom features with array parameters that are only shown to the user when certain conditions are met.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited June 2020
    Sweet, show mates and show only assembly mates! Can't wait to see if this helps troubleshoot assblies. That was always a royal pain.

Logical feature parameters, show sketch points in drawings.. Nice
  • JollyJolly Member Posts: 81 PRO
    Alright! Mate improvements. I use the show all mates, then find the top level mate I'm looking for, then "hide other mates" on a daily basis.  Looking forward to using this change. Also the Mate View Mode?  I'll use that everyday.

Always happy to see more standard content to. Saves me from making my own and building own ISO/ANSI/... references.

Great!
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, this FeatureScript improvement looks great.
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Cache_River_MillCache_River_Mill Member Posts: 225 PRO
    edited June 2020
    Fantastic! Thank you Onshape team!

Could this new feature script ability allow one to make a feature where the suppression is controlled by logic? @cody_armstrong
  • William_SchlundWilliam_Schlund Member, Channel partner Posts: 9 ✭✭
    I like the projected view from a x-sectioned view. I couldn't do that before and thought it was me :)
    Good Job!
  • Theo_RTheo_R Member Posts: 81 PRO
    Show mates &  Show mates mode, View Cube & Sheets Flyout are very helpful to us. Thank you!
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    And draft view improvements - excellent!

www.accuratepattern.com
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    I was just daydreaming wistfully the other day about conditional visibility in Array parameters. Awesome!
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Nice that you starting to pay attention to assemblies and mates. Hope on the farther progress in this, especially in mate regeneration stability for multilevel assemblies.
  • otaolafrotaolafr Member Posts: 113 EDU
    nice updates! Would love aligment in drawings (like in ppt, ilustrator, corel, etc) and also export a named view to other documents parts studio 
  • BMcGaffeyBMcGaffey Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    Wow, great improvements with the Mate diagnosis tools. Also, sketch points in drawings! 
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    En este enlace podéis ver las Novedades de Onshape en español
    https://youtu.be/L4kKHP_CmZo
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • ken_dellach455ken_dellach455 Member Posts: 7 PRO
    All wonderful updates!!  Keep um comin'!  :)
  • Ed_McGuireEd_McGuire OS Professional Posts: 24 PRO
    Yes!  Thanks for the improved panning!
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Awesome work! Been waiting for this one, show mates improvement will make working with assemblies much, much, easier. No longer will we have to do the time-consuming task of showing all then search sub assy to hide unwanted mates. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Yes super excited by the show mates. Works perfectly. THANKYOU. Just about every time I use assemblies I had wished for this. 

But... now I have another wish which I constantly look for and that is an assembly search tool.  
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Hans_Ole_LeirvikHans_Ole_Leirvik Member Posts: 78 PRO
    Very good - thank you :)
  • don_williams909don_williams909 Member Posts: 138 PRO
    Some very nice improvements in this release.

That said, the "View Cube" movement is better than it was, and somewhat okay... but not exactly what I was looking for when I asked for the ability to adjust the views in micro steps.
    It's limited to using the XYZ cube coordinate system to make the movements, as opposed to "screen" position.  For tweaking a view for exploded views, often times you really want to be able to tweak the angles to get a better view of the objects and the exploded parts, with a better perspective.  You can't do that with 5° increments of the XYZ coordinate system.  You need to be able to do it to the screen position. 
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @don_williams909 - I may be wrong, but it does look to me like it's rotating around the cube center (aka screen center). For exploded view rotation, I usually get it roughly where I want it on screen, then right-click an edge and select "Align view with vertical axis" to straighten it up.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • don_williams909don_williams909 Member Posts: 138 PRO
    NeilCooke said:
    @don_williams909 - I may be wrong, but it does look to me like it's rotating around the cube center (aka screen center). For exploded view rotation, I usually get it roughly where I want it on screen, then right-click an edge and select "Align view with vertical axis" to straighten it up.

Yes, I know this, but I would like to be able to save some views that are precise rotations of existing views that I create.  You can't do that with this setup.
    See your pals at PTC/Creo...