Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Zip ties?

imants_smidchensimants_smidchens Member Posts: 62 EDU
I'm working on a CAD project for our robotics team, and we've taken to using zip ties for not only wire management, but also for attaching lightweight components in places where a custom 3D printed mount (or something similar) is less practical. However, in previous years we haven't taken the time to add screws/bolts/chain, let alone zip ties.
I'm trying to implement better CAD practices across our team - leaving no screw un-CAD-ed, we found an excellent chain/belt featurescript, but I'm at a loss for how to do zipties.
Is there a featurescript out there I'm unaware of, or is there a better way than creating unique, custom, in-context parts?

Answers

• imants_smidchensimants_smidchens Member Posts: 62 EDU
    one thing I'm considering is using the wire featurescript to create a replication which approximates the dimensions, would this be a valid way?
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    if you want to show your zip tie then I would draw a box to represent the head.

Draw circle or a box with a spline to create a path for your strap.

Configure your shape as needed.

Then draw your strap rectange and sweep along your path
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alternatively, if you are creating assembly drawings you can just call out the zip tie locations via flag note.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Right, that is all I would do in a professional environment. The model itself is just fancy fluff for the marketing department.
  • fnxffnxf Member, User Group Leader Posts: 134 PRO
    Have a look at this: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/bd1ab9b3ce22193d6cab1fcb/v/5cddd092347747326f80ba5a/e/1585fa2a8d699d6318e9a552
    Maybe a bit complicated- but if you'd just take the "Part Studio Zip tie" and put it in a stand-alone document, you'd be ready to insert this in any assembly. The diameter of the zip tie can be adjusted during assembly. Feel free to copy and improve :smile:

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    I think folks are right that they aren't strictly necessary. The only reasons I can think that you'd really care to have them in there are:
    1. identifying potential collisions
    2. renderings and other images
    3. personal satisfaction
    but if I were doing this, I'd do something like @fnxf suggests and make a single configured zip-tie part to bring into the assembly. I might suggest adding several configs. One table for the sizes you know you'll have (could be small, medium, large) and also the diameter it's going around. 
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • fnxffnxf Member, User Group Leader Posts: 134 PRO
    I would add

4. assembly instructions

5. correct BOMs

Good suggestion, @Evan_Reese. In my experience, small and large are enough, e.g. 120 mm and 250mm length. And I'm really a fan of the new Q-ties from HellermanTyton: https://www.hellermanntyton.com/products/cable-ties-inside-serrated/q120i/109-00053
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    fnxf said:
    I would add

4. assembly instructions

5. correct BOMs
    excellent additions!
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl