Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - August 25th 2020

Roy_MutalikRoy_Mutalik Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 33
edited September 2020 in New in Onshape
Just like that, another three weeks has gone by. Welcome to another new release of Onshape!

CAD IMPROVEMENTS

HOLE CALLOUT IMPROVEMENTS

Hole callout features now include the same fly-out panel available in the dimensions tool, allowing you to add additional text to the callout as well as change the units independently of the drawing properties.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/stympbwphg

IMPROVED SELECTION HIGHLIGHTING FOR MATES

Selecting a mate from the mate features list will now outline the two parts involved and highlight the associated faces on those parts that have been used to define the mate connectors. This will make it easier to understand how the mate was created without having to right-click and select the edit mate dialog.

ANIMATE PLAYBACK TYPES FOR MATES

When animating a mate, you now will find additional playback types, including Single, Reciprocate, or Loop.

CONSOLIDATED SEARCH & FILTER IN THE TAB MANAGER

The Tab Manager (activated by Alt + T) has a consolidated menu including new expandable buttons for Search, Sort and Filter functions. You can also toggle between List and Detailed view types as you normally could.

CONFIGURATION TOOLTIP IN SHEETS PANEL

A tooltip has been added to the sheets panel in drawings. When hovering over a configured reference, you will now see information about which configuration is being shown.

RELEASE MANAGEMENT IMPROVEMENTS

RE-RELEASE AN EXISTING PART NUMBER 

PREVENT A RELEASE CANDIDATE IF TAB HAS OPEN TASK

You may now re-release an element at the same revision level with the same part number. This is most commonly used when a small error or typo is identified in a released drawing that needs to be corrected but does not warrant creating an entirely new revision. You must first obsolete the existing revision, making use of a new setting (in the obsoletion dialog) to allow re-release, before you'll be able to compete the release again at the same revision.

Additionally, a new administrative setting has been introduced to prevent a release candidate from being created if there is an outstanding task (a comment with a tagged user, and the box ticked to "Assign") that is directly referencing an element in the tab you are releasing from. Only once the task is resolved, from either the comment itself or the action items list, can the release candidate be submitted. While the video below shows this example on a re-release action, it is important to note this option affects all release candidates.

REVISION TABLE IMPROVEMENTS 

You may now manually edit the header columns for a revision table. You can also customize the default revision suffix which is applied to the unreleased line of the revision table from the release management settings.

The revision suffix accepts multiple characters and spaces which allows you to create the exact suffix that fits your company requirements.

iOS IMPROVEMENTS

SIMPLIFIED NAVIGATION & INTERFACE

When accessing documents with view-only permission on an iOS device, you will now see a similar interface to the simplified view-only menu in a browser window.

You many now also open a document URL from the home page, without needing to sign in. This works if you tap the link to a public document, or any link shared via email or other application you may have on your phone.

LEARNING CENTER IMPROVEMENTS

ONSHAPE SURFACE MODELING SELF-PACED COURSE AND LEARNING PATHWAY

A new course and Learning Pathway are available to Onshape users in the Learning Center. 

Onshape Surface Modeling is the last course in the new learning pathway: Advanced Part and Surfacing Design. This Pathway is composed of courses that teach advanced geometry modeling techniques. Onshape Surface Modeling caps off this pathway that explores Onshape surfacing workflows. 

These courses are available to Standard, Professional, Enterprise, and all Educational subscriptions.

ENTERPRISE IMPROVEMENTS

SHARE DASHBOARDS & ANALYTICS

Custom reports or dashboards saved to the "My analytics" tab can now be directly shared with individuals or teams via a familiar "Share" button. Users can be given view, edit, or edit and share permissions to the report or dashboard.

The existing permissions of the shared-in user are honored with regards to any buttons or filters shown on a shared report. 

NEW DEFAULT DASHBOARDS

Three new default dashboards have been created, geared towards showing activity of the current user. These dashboards are "My Activity", "My Projects and Documents" and "My Releases".

CUSTOM WORKFLOWS - CHANGE APPROVER ON PENDING RELEASE CANDIDATE

For customized workflows, you now can allow the creator of a release candidate to change the approvers while it is still pending. Previously, you would have to discard the candidate and re-submit it with the correct approvers.

FEATURESCRIPT IMPROVEMENTS

SYNTAX FOR CHAINED ARGUMENTS

FeatureScript now allows using an arrow -> to make a function call, where the first argument is to the left of the arrow. So a->myFunction(b) is equivalent to myFunction(a, b). This lets you chain calls rather than nest them and can simplify the readability of query filters.

Instead of writing:

qGeometry(qOwnedByBody(bodyQuery, EntityType.FACE), GeometryType.PLANE)

you may now simply write:

bodyQuery->qOwnedByBody(EntityType.FACE)->qGeometry(GeometryType.PLANE)

DEBUG WITH MULTIPLE COLORS

You may now apply a custom color in the debug argument. This will make it easier for you to differentiate between different features when debugging.

The syntax is:

debug(context, facesToHighlight, DebugColor.GREEN)

Further documentation can be found here.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Comments

• Theo_RTheo_R Member Posts: 81 PRO
    Hole callouts, mate info, tooltips, release management and workflows. This will all help. Thank you.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Finally hole callouts can have the proper information attached to them :)
    Now you need to make hole callouts not strictly linked to features created by "hole".

I Like the debug colors and the featurescript chaining. defiantly will be taking advantage of those! 
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the FS improvements

Hole callouts improvements are also welcome. I hope soon we will be able to edit or translate the text "THRU"
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    edited August 2020
    Excellent update!

Im very happy to see the hole callout dialog finally be brought up to the level of the regular dimensions dialog box. Time to go fix a few drawings where I had to use note instead as a temp fix.

I also see in the changelog that there is a long list of fixes. Always glad to see attention paid to fixing existing errors whether I see them or not!
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy with arrow syntax, does it means that operator form of function in arrow syntax is a valid standalone expression which can be assigned to variable or stored in lookup table?
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    The chained arguments are very useful.

Also, the different colours when debugging are awesome!
    🟥🟩🟦🟨⬛
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • brooke_spreenbrooke_spreen Member, Developers Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    Love the option to rerelease...thanks OS!
    Design Engineer | Anerdgy AG
  • jthdimension0jthdimension0 Member Posts: 1
    Great help with different debug color option. Really appreciate it.
  • gerhard_swanepoelgerhard_swanepoel Member Posts: 29 PRO
    Improvements for mate editing most welcome. Also like the ability to "repeat" release...typo's have the habit of becoming visible after release!
  • don_williams909don_williams909 Member Posts: 138 PRO
    Decent updates. 
    The only thing I would like to see while mating is an improvement to the way you mate a flat head screw to a countersink.
    It's often difficult at best to grab that last mate connector way at the bottom od a countersink or a screw.  I would like to suggest a macro or something where you simply select the two conic surfaces, and Onshape chooses the bottom mates of both to make the two parts tangent.
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Great improvements!

Special shout out to  @KatieHuffman& training team!  Looks like a great compilation of training materials in the 'Advanced Part & Surface' course.  Really needed this and look forward to putting to use.  You all do a beautiful job on the lessons; nice mix of graphics, tutorials, and exercises.

www.accuratepattern.com
  • TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    Decent updates. 
    The only thing I would like to see while mating is an improvement to the way you mate a flat head screw to a countersink.
    It's often difficult at best to grab that last mate connector way at the bottom od a countersink or a screw.  I would like to suggest a macro or something where you simply select the two conic surfaces, and Onshape chooses the bottom mates of both to make the two parts tangent.
    Dont forget you can hold shift while hovering over a face to switch between the available mate connectors!
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 565
    Happy with arrow syntax, does it means that operator form of function in arrow syntax is a valid standalone expression which can be assigned to variable or stored in lookup table?
    If I'm understanding you correctly, no. No new concepts are being added with the arrow syntax.

It is simple syntactic sugar to make chains of functions more readable. x->f(y, z) is identical in every way to f(x, y, z).
  • david_robertsdavid_roberts Member Posts: 6 PRO
    FINALLY!  Editable hole callouts!  My crew is super excited about that improvement.
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Re-releasing is great! I've needed that more often than I'd like to admit. I'm also really excited about debug colors. I just updated the Selection Fillet feature to preview in soothing blue 🏖 instead of scary red 🧨. I'm sure I'll enjoy the new syntax once I play with it.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • WorkholdingProWorkholdingPro Member Posts: 3 PRO
    Hole call outs improvements are great! 

That said, we still don't have the tools to quickly make the holes we need.  The hole tool hasn't changed since its introduction.

The hole tool should include basic machinist handbook content.  (drill tip angles, Tapered and parallel pipe threads, and possibly: customizable pitch diameters and thread pitches)

At the very least, users should not be required to add custom features for standard-tooling-machined holes.   Check out SolidWorks or Inventor's hole tool for basic user expectations.

I love Onshape, but this is a long-promised feature improvement that we NEED!
    Well said Tim! Also include Head Clearance and Lead-In/Lead-Out Chamfers. 
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Another unmentioned FS improvement adds opCreateCurvesOnFace, which allowed me to create this Face Cruves feature without much trouble. It's most useful to help you understand surface UVs, but you may find that it's just the thing for modeling too in certain cases.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a8fffe63f92001db50a75db9/v/6806a86ca45e517dd6fde290/e/193257f65ba4c932585edbb6
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    The re-release will be very helpful! Could have used that a couple times in the last few months!
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    En este enlace podéis ver las Novedades de Onshape en español
    https://youtu.be/CHUnmATt33k
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Matt_BancroftMatt_Bancroft Member, Channel partner Posts: 6 EDU
    Useful updates here - agree with the earlier comment re the Surfacing course - have really enjoyed it; good to see training materials based on 'real-world' use cases as opposed to abstract blocks and shapes, found in other CAD training. Also, loop animate is just what I needed - thanks!
  • john_allen289john_allen289 Member Posts: 34 PRO
    Re-releasing is super useful (this was a hurdle for us as rolling a revision is a pain for silly typo's if you don't catch it downstream quickly).
    Love the customisation of the Rev Tables too, we use '*' on our drawings for colour codes so having this as the only option in the rev table was ambiguous and prevented us using it. Custom suffixes has completely solved this.
  • Ivan_DeetlefsIvan_Deetlefs Member Posts: 23 PRO
    Where can one find how to enable "CHANGE APPROVER ON PENDING RELEASE CANDIDATE". 
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    Where can one find how to enable "CHANGE APPROVER ON PENDING RELEASE CANDIDATE". 
    Are you using Onshape Enterprise? I’m guessing it is defined in the custom workflow but I’ll have to look to verify. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Theo_RTheo_R Member Posts: 81 PRO
    Must be getting close to "the time"
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Damn, i'm too busy.. Time is going too quick... 
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    It's come around quickly @john_mcclary , this one caught me by surprise. For the next release, I've got Friday on my mind. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I was wrong, today is the day
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977