Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Performance test results

124»

Comments

• Options
    tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    I configured my browser to always use my all-powerful NVIDIA graphics card, but my Windows performance manager suggests it isn't being used much at all. What I see while I wait for a feature to register in a model:

Notice the NVIDIA row at the bottom left, which says only 7% of the GPU resources are being used. I have never seen it above 15% while using Onshape, even though it does spike a slight bit in more demanding tasks. This is very different from what I see when I run the Onshape performance test:

I took this capture before the GPU resources peaked at over 90%. Not sure why the performance test would tap so much into my NVIDIA GPU when my modeling work doesn't. I've gone through all the browser configuring and driver updating there is to do. Anyway, just thought I'd share. Anyone else seeing the same discrepancy?
  • Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,175
    @tony_soares459
    Performance is determined by many factors -- the GPU is responsible for only certain aspects.  Please see my blog post on the subject: https://www.onshape.com/cad-blog/under-the-hood-how-onshapes-development-team-tackles-cad-performance especially the table in the post.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited July 2019
    @tony_soares459 I can confirm what @daniel_cook is saying.

The performance tests works by drawing a bunch of geometry into a buffer.  It starts with a small amount of geometry and scales up how much geometry is being drawn until the framerate drops below a certain threshold (i.e. until the GPU can no longer keep up with the amount of geometry we are asking it to draw).  Then we report the results back to you.  For that I would definitely expect a ramp up to a spike.

For normal usage, if you are not interacting with the model, the system would not being doing any redraws.  So as Daniel says, maybe wiggle the model around for a while and watch that panel to see how it changes.  If your graphics card is good enough, you may even just register blips until you open something really complicated and wiggle it around.

Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    Thank you both for the (very helpful) responses! Good to know a 7% GPU performance reading doesn't mean my hardware is just sitting idle. I still feel things could run faster, and I suspect that maybe thermal throttling is stunting my laptop performance at times, but at least things are running! :D
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Also, on a laptop keep in mind, you will need to have the power pack plugged in too.
    at least on mine, it won't go past 2ghz unless it's plugged in.
  • Options
    bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    I noticed a loss in graphics performance last week.  I ran the OS system performance check, got all green check marks but the speed test failed because "frame rate was below 60FPS".  So I ran several on-line graphics benchmarks on my system (Nvidia 1050 Ti) and found I was faster than 2/3rds of the systems tested.  I had suspected an Open GL upgrade I had applied was the problem but apparently not.  No one else in the Linux world is complaining.  So what's going on?
  • Options
    Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭

@bill_daniels

I had the same problem, see https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/12065/no-results-from-performance-check#latest.

But today I got my results of a DELL G7 7790 with a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060.

Henk de Vlaam (NL)
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited August 2019
    I noticed a loss in graphics performance last week.  I ran the OS system performance check, got all green check marks but the speed test failed because "frame rate was below 60FPS". 
    I tried the "System check" on a couple of low end PC's in our company just to gather some numbers to justify some better kit.  Both had previously given numbers around 20 Million Triangles but I couldn't remember the number exactly.  Each now refuse to complete the test reporting the low frame rate.

My proper PC also reports 100M fewer triangles than it used to.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    svenolov_nystromsvenolov_nystrom OS Professional Posts: 64 PRO
    I am currently working in Spain with a connection that goes down to 4-5 Gbs (it works) if it drops under 3Gbs  it does not
    I normally work with 500Gbs and it is no big difference It suprices me a bit
    An AMD RX580 Ryzen 5 Ubuntu 19.04 (latest kernel has support for Rx580) on older linux kernel you must install the proprietor driver. The graphic performance is great ca 800 million triangles.
    Linux provides a pleasant experience with Onshape. The space-mouse doesn't work but you can live with that

• Options
    edited October 2020
    On a new Razer Blade 15 with 10th gen Intel I7 CPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 GPU, running on Firefox:

By comparison, my older Razer Blade 15 with 8th gen Intel I7 CPU and NVIDIA GeForce GTX1060 Max Q, also run on Firefox:

Can't tell if the improvement is real since the test results can vary by more than that from one run to the next.

• Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO

I recently splurged on a new laptop and a shovel ... to bury the old HP. Discrete graphics increase the performance by more than an order of magnitude. There is significant variability though. Might that have something to do with the whims of an internet connection?

• Options
    Charles_IngalzCharles_Ingalz Member Posts: 2
    M1 Max 32 GB OSX12.0, everything else says compatible on both chrome and safari. This is the chrome result, but performance numbers are nearly the same with Chrome or Safari.

• Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 666 PRO
    M1 Max 32 GB OSX12.0, everything else says compatible on both chrome and safari. This is the chrome result, but performance numbers are nearly the same with Chrome or Safari.

Which gpu did you order?
  • Options
    Charles_IngalzCharles_Ingalz Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2021
    It is the 32 core GPU.  To compare, this is the M1 MBP with the 8-core GPU. The triangles per second seems to taper out at some point.  The lines per second scales fairly linearly to 32 cores.

I was using the Dell Vostro 7500 with GTX 1650ti, but the improved graphics, 120hz, brighter display, and ability to use it with battery power make a considerable difference in everyday use.

• Options
    gkuhnsgkuhns Member, csevp Posts: 36 PRO
    The Ryzen CPUs with integrated graphics seem to perform pretty well. It is important to equip them with fast RAM.

Below are test results of a Ryzen 3 5300G. I ran tests with both 2666MHz and 3200MHz ram in both Edge and Chrome. Chrome performed better so these results are from Chrome.

First, here are the results from the slower 2666MHz ram:

And here are the results from the faster 3200MHz ram.

Because of low utilization, I am ignoring the difference in quantity of ram. The 2666 kit was two 4GB sticks for a total of 8GB. The 3200MHz kit is two 16GB sticks for a total of 32GB.