Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

CAM coming to Onshape.

joe_dunnejoe_dunne Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 198
edited September 2022 in General
Thought this might be of interest to some of you.  

https://www.ptc.com/en/blogs/corporate/ptc-brings-cloud-native-cam-to-onshape

Joe
Joe Dunne / Onshape, Inc.
Tagged:

Comments

• ben_partouchben_partouch Member Posts: 94 PRO
    This is amazing.
    Any plans for woodworking features like nesting and working across multiple sheets?
    How can we learn more about it?
  • GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
    This is fantastic news....can't wait
  • Cache_River_MillCache_River_Mill Member Posts: 225 PRO
    Intriguing, How will post processors work? Who will be writing those?
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    home run Joe! 
  • christopher_dziubachristopher_dziuba Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    Eventually with nesting!! now that's what I'm talking about!!
  • dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    Not nesting parts, but nesting toolpaths would be nice
  • joepjoep Member, csevp Posts: 23 PRO
    That is great news! Curious if it can be used in both part studio and assembly environment.
  • ben_partouchben_partouch Member Posts: 94 PRO
    Nesting parts and the work across multiple sheets is critical in CAM for cabinet making
  • joe_dunnejoe_dunne Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 198
    @joep. CAM Studio will support assemblies and Part Studio.  Fixturing, machine simulation, and more... The product already supports multipart machining. This was one of the more interesting aspects of Cloud Milling.
  • joepjoep Member, csevp Posts: 23 PRO
    joe_dunne said:
    @joep. CAM Studio will support assemblies and Part Studio.  Fixturing, machine simulation, and more... The product already supports multipart machining. This was one of the more interesting aspects of Cloud Milling.
    Thanks Joe!
  • bill_schnoebelenbill_schnoebelen OS Professional, Developers, User Group Leader, csevp Posts: 109 PRO
    Excellent!
  • michael_lvovskymichael_lvovsky Member Posts: 4
    Will this feature be available in edu or is it restricted to pro only like the rendering feature?
  • NikNYCNikNYC Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    IMO, if you include this (but somewhat limited in some way) in the hobby version, it will grow OS quite a bit amongst the hobby users, which may lead to more Basic and Professional sales.
    Not to mention the ability to both learn it and then demo it to your boss so they might finally buy a license to OnShape.
  • nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
    NikNYC said:
    IMO, if you include this (but somewhat limited in some way) in the hobby version, it will grow OS quite a bit amongst the hobby users, which may lead to more Basic and Professional sales.
    Not to mention the ability to both learn it and then demo it to your boss so they might finally buy a license to OnShape.

That's actually how my company bought OS. I played around with the free version for a few weeks on my own. I ended up really liking it, then I showed it to the boss and we bought a couple of licenses.
  • chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
    With new CAM programs, CNC Lathes always end up forgotten. The emphasis always seems to be on milling.
  • carl_malagodicarl_malagodi Member Posts: 18 EDU
    To echo NikNYC's comment will CAM studios be restricted to pro licenses, I know there teams at my school that do cad in onshape but are forced to export to fusion 360 for CAM at the moment, would be fantastic if we and teams like use were able to do everything in one ecosystem, looks super cool otherwise, looking forward to it!!!
  • ethandinauerethandinauer Member Posts: 2 PRO
    With Onshape CAM coming, let's not forget about the users needing 2D CAM (laser,water jet, plasma) side of things along with nesting.
    Agreed, this would be a great feature. 
  • Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
  • joe_dunnejoe_dunne Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 198
    The goal,  in general, is to cover all mainstream CAM workflows.  As with everything,  it will be an evolution. The product starts with a very good foundation of 2-5 axis milling.  Which means 2D machining is already there. However there are many opportunities for more streamlined workflows specific for the task, nesting is an example of this.

• Lucas_KuhnsLucas_Kuhns Member, csevp Posts: 88 PRO
    This is very exciting. I am looking forward to having 2D nesting inside of Onshape.
  • tgunrtgunr Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    If executed correctly - this is the single reason a lot of people won't have to use Fusion 360 anymore!
    I agree, this is great news but alas, as a retired engineer who tinkers I can't really justify buying a pro license for my hobby usage. Will have to keep exporting to Fusion360, sigh.
  • Stuart_TodStuart_Tod Member Posts: 56 PRO
    Any update on the rollout of CAM? First teaser post was Sept. 1st, got excited then, and since....no updates?