Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

slow response

matt_21matt_21 Member Posts: 1
I am connected to the NBN broadband in Australia over a fixed wireless system  and  getting very good speeds, averaging 47 Mbps  download and 13 Mbps upload.
Butt it takes so long to do anything in onshape nothing like what I see in the tutorials.
I have to what a few quite a few seconds at least between clicks.
Wondering if there would be any suggestions or am I just out of luck with this type of internet connection.

Comments

• Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    Onshape on beta version and they may working for many improvements.so we are facing the issue like this.
    I hope these issues will be solved once they come up with their final product.
  • Options
    GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 381 PRO
    I too have laggy problems. I running on Virgin Media's Fibreoptic system at an advertised 50Mb speed. 
  • Options
    andy_morrisandy_morris Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 87
    You shouldn't be experiencing lag with those internet speeds.

Please can you open up support tickets so we can investigate?
    - Show the connection console using Ctrl+D. This displays your connected server and ping time.
    - From the Help downdown select Feedback and let us know your geographical location and what you were doing.
    - If you are only experiencing this on a specific document please share that with support.

You can hide the console with Ctrl+D again.

Many thanks,
    Andy
    Andy Morris / Head of Product Design / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @andy_morris
    Did you remove the CTRL+D shortcut to connection console? All I get is new bookmarks..
    //rami
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,391
    It's Ctrl D on Mac, no idea what the equivalent is on wIndows
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Ah, after browser refresh it works with Ctrl+D as it used to (it open console and tries to add favorite)
    //rami
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited March 2017
    Watch your memory on your computer, sometimes I reboot chrome for a fresh start at things.

I'm running a virtual environment on a small computer and have noticed degraded performance if I get too much stuff going on. If I clean things up, the performance bounces back.

Crtl+D isn't working for me on a MAC, but refreshing the tab brought it back, thanks 3dcad.

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    It is CTRL D on all platforms.. however in Windows that is also the save browser shortcut so you have to hit it two times in a row to make it work.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    I notice slow response too but I don't think OnShape servers are the only - or even the main problem.  Latency can be caused by anything in the linkup.

To get a better idea of what is happening I have been watching "System Monitor" (Ubuntu Linux but I suspect similar utilities are available for Apple and MS systems.) which graphically shows the activity of each CPU core, memory & swap use and network send/receive activity.  FWIW, here's what I typically see on my 25MB down/5MB up Comcast Internet connection using my 8 core Xeon HP workstation with 32GB of memory and a Quadro 4000 GPU running Chrome or Opera.

When I click on a tab to load a complex assembly (95MB), I see the outgoing request which is followed about 6 seconds later by the first of three short "surges" of incoming data.  Each surge follows the previous one by 3-5 seconds and each is about twice the size of the previous one.  The whole 95MB file downloads in less than 10 seconds which is pretty good.  The same file loads from the HD in about the same time with a local CAD application.  A faster Internet connection wouldn't make much difference.

Upon the arrival of the 1st surge, CPU activity picks up with what I call "serial multi-threading" where each of the 8 cores maxes out at 100% for 10 - 20 seconds in rotation.  This is probably the system spreading the heat load while running one single-thread task.  As the model appears on the browser screen, the CPU core activity becomes multi-threaded with all 8 cores sharing the load roughly equally.  CPU activity continues at this clip for about 20 seconds after the OnShape "twirlie" disappears.  The memory/swap usage remains unchanged at 4.0 GB. The 3-surge receive and CPU load pattern is the same with Insert.

I'm not sure what all this means except I probably don't need 32GB of RAM but a faster CPU would be nice.  More GPU horsepower would be nice too but I can twirl my biggest assembly around the screen with very few hitches however, round shapes take on a poly-angular appearance which is my biggest gripe.  More robust use of multi-threading by browsers would be very helpful.
  • Options
    Onshape shouldn't need too much from your CPU as all the calculation happens in servers and only GPU is used to render the results on your screen. I have 64gigs RAM and I wish browser could utilize that better, I still get warning that chrome run out of memory while mem usage is only a fraction of what is available..
    //rami
  • Options
    I don't think OnShape puts much demand on my CPU - but browsers certainly do.  I'm trying Opera because it has a reputation for being lean and fast but I don't see much improvement. FWIW, memory usage barely budges
  • Options
    I use three browsers at the moment to even the load, Opera for radio+few ordering systems (always open), Firefox for general browsing / accounting system, Chrome for Onshape and google sheets. I have found this a lot better than having say chrome with 37 tabs open.
    //rami
  • Options
    I finally built a model that brought my system to its knees.  This is a 990 cell, 528V, 25.3 kWh Li-ion battery pack but surely someone will want to model an even bigger one.  The problem is the many repeating elements even though I left out ~2,000 M4 screws and all the BMS wiring.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c906a6bdcf50136ee9dbb9e1/w/9f6d794f5ac613eb6ba6aa67/e/53e2bc55b9b26c943174b00e

Chrome choked and essentially died.  Opera kept chugging and got the job done - eventually.  I'd guess Opera was 20% faster than Chrome.  The biggest delay was inserting and grouping the 11, 15s6p sub-assemblies.  Modeling a large pack makes it easy to see why there's a big difference in cost between cells and packs as measured by $/kWh.

Either browsers have to adopt multi-threaded programing or I have to get a faster CPU.
  • Options
    @bill_daniels
    No serious problems with chrome on thinkpad x1 yoga. Load time 1-2min, viewing slightly joggy but manageable, selection takes 2-3sec to perform..

In my experience this would run perfectly with decent office pc.
    //rami
  • Options
    My load time was almost exactly 60 seconds which is very good.  (I'm running a dual, 4-core Xeons with 32GB of DDR4 and Nvidia Quadro on a 25MB/s Internet connection.)  The problem is it chokes when inserting and grouping. To insert and group each one of the 11 modules took 10-15 minutes or almost 3 hours to insert 11 sub-assemblies - that's not acceptable. My system monitor showed just one core at 100% with 7 loafing for many minutes at a time.  This is not a server/network issue - network traffic was negligible  All the delay was local as my CPU chewed through the data.
  • Options
    malay_kumarmalay_kumar Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 93
    @bill_daniels Can you provide more details of which subassembly you are trying to insert and group and in which tab? 

• Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @bill_daniels may be the problem with this battery module is that its part studio contains too many parts, the correct design intent in OS is to keep only one instance of each part in part studio
  • Options
    Really?  That's news to me.  I'll try making the 48V module in an assembly and see if it works better.
  • Options
    Thank you Konstantim Shiriazdanov.  That was very must faster.  The tip is to convert complex parts to sub-assemblies before inserting them into master assemblies.  I just imported the 48V module part into an assembly and then 11 instances of that assembly into a 528V Pack Assembly
  • Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @bill_daniels another advantage of using part arrays in assemblies is that it creates instances of the same part. which is important when you create BOM. in contrary - when creating part arrays in part studio every instance of array becomes a new part just with the same geometry. part arrays in part studio are mostly for using their instances in boolean operations
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Dividing large project into multiple documents makes things faster too, if you feel things are slowing down you can simply move stuff (tabs) into new doc and Onshape takes care of keeping links alive - how convenient!
    //rami