Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Ramping up for production project - what's needed...

caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
edited January 2015 in Using Onshape
I am about to start a project that would be an ideal case to test productivity improvements with Onshape vs SW>Parasolid>mail>SW>etc.

Here is a list of currently missing functionalities that would be of great value during this project:
  • a markup documentation/annotation tool: this could be either 3D markup in model space or 2D drawings. At least some way to put comments in CAD space and not just as a PDF in a separate tab.
  • Extrusion vector: I know you can get the same behavior with sweep, but I would like to do this in a single feature.
  • More options for extrusions: offset (from surface), bidirectional...
  • Part Studio equations: driven dimensions (!), relating feature dimensions to sketches... Pretty essential for most models I do.
  • Cut with surface: again, I know it can be done through splitting & deleting bodies, but I would like a single feature.
  • Feature tree organization: Folders! Folders! I can't stress enough how desperately I want better organization of the tree. Folders would be a great start, but there are other things too: feature icons, body/part relations, parent/child relations...
  • Feature patterns: face patterns are cool, but feature patterns would be more robust
I might add a few more things, but these are the most essential requests... right now... from the top of my head. :)
Any thoughts?

EDIT 26/01/2015, 23:30 CET:
Added request for feature patterns.

Regards,
Dries

Comments

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @Dries great list I am with you on these. I Like the first one Markup Documentation. I also want to add some notes and annotation even some hand sketching, Tabs are great but the lest the better, screen shots and hand annotation just want cut it. 

On the surface cut have you tried using the replace face with any success, would this do the same thing? I have not used it yet but also would very rarely use a surface cut and may be barking up the wrong tree for you here. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Bruce said:
    @Dries great list I am with you on these. I Like the first one Markup Documentation. I also want to add some notes and annotation even some hand sketching, Tabs are great but the lest the better, screen shots and hand annotation just want cut it. 

On the surface cut have you tried using the replace face with any success, would this do the same thing? I have not used it yet but also would very rarely use a surface cut and may be barking up the wrong tree for you here. 
    Replace face sure is very powerful. However, for molded parts (e.g. hard-modeled drafts...) cutting with surfaces is quite essential.
    Or maybe Onshape is putting together a much more powerful solution. Some designers (I've met) have a hard time grasping the concept of 'cutting with surface'. :)

Dries
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    I will add you to the request for the markup @Dries and @Bruce and if there are others, let me know.  I wrote up an improvement prior to pre-production and would love to see that come to life!  If you have submitted these already @Dries then you are good, otherwise can you send in some feedback?
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Was just think about when I was toolmaking, if back doing this CAD I am sure I would be using the surface cut a lot more and replace would not work here.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    @LouGallo‌ Add me to the markup request please. 
  • Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    @LouGallo I'd like to be included if you could, as well.  We mentioned it here a little bit.  https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/164/redline-capability#latest

I was intrigued by the demonstration last week from Microsoft showing inking in the browser.  This would be cool with something like markup capabilities in Onshape.  I hope other browsers will support inking as well.  Document approval via a signature via a stylus would be cool...  A paperless system with electronic inking would be nice.
  • Options
    Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
  • Options
    kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Feature patterns. Drafting. 
  • Options
    Feature patterns. Drafting. 
    Oops, yeah, forgot that one.
    Definitely need feature patterns. Added to my original list.

Dries
  • Options
    Feature patterns can be done. I have found is that if what you need to pattern you can use 'face' pattern as a feature pattern. I have had some interesting behaviour with patterning a cut face for a gear where it does not work but if you make a boss (not a cut) tooth it patterns very well.
  • Options
    Ben it doesn't work consistently well. At best face pattern is a workaround and if you have a complex set of faces selection is a pain. Feature patterning is a core functionality in every single MCAD product on the market so it needs to be in Onshape - which I am sure it will be.
  • Options
    Ben it doesn't work consistently well. At best face pattern is a workaround and if you have a complex set of faces selection is a pain. Feature patterning is a core functionality in every single MCAD product on the market so it needs to be in Onshape - which I am sure it will be.
    True about inconsistency. Especially when the base geometry changes (new sketch entities), as happens so often in production (face pattern feature goes bezerk!).

Dries
  • Options
    @KevinQuigley‌
    I would agree with you to some extent. I have fond after using the 'create selection' tools on the right click you can get quite proficient at it. It really comes down to OS being a new system and a new way of doing things. Once you adapt it can be quite smooth. That being said yes I agree that patterning features is a pain and could use some tweaking. 
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Can you expand on the scenarios where the selection is a pain?  While we were developing it I initially had issues selecting all the faces necessary but after learning our "Create selection" tool and box/cross select I haven't been having any issues.  I almost unanimously prefer face patterns to part patterns.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    Feature pattern....select the features from the tree...pattern.
    face pattern...select ALL faces to pattern...pattern

Face patterning works when you have faces linked to each other , or little self contained groups. But feature patterning works because it creates new geometry regardless of faces. Bottom line is click numbers. Features need less clicking than faces. Especially on mobile platforms.