Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Tips and tricks 2017

2»

Comments

• Options
    Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    Quick tip.

When doing an extrude like "to to face", select the face you're going to extrude (but don't go into the command yet), spin your view around so you can see the target face you want you extrude to go to THEN go into the extrude command (shift+e).  Now you can select the target right away. 

You'll find in larger assemblies once you're in the command your view movement gets a slower and it's difficult to find your target. 

• Options
    I just noticed, on accident, that when you RMB the rotate translate symbol you get a 90 & 180 option.

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Oh snap! Tottaly missed that @Tony_C_
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    It's not hard to totally miss stuff, I only just realized that that transform by line also works point to point. I have been going to the effort of using transform by mate connectors and even doing a sketch with a line on it when the simple solution was just select 2 points. I think the description transform by line had lead me astray.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    It's also easy to forget features you don't need that often.. I suppose Onshape is not a new born baby anymore =)
    //rami
  • Options
    Right clicking on a dimension in a sketch can change it from a drive to a driven dimension.

I just found this out.... 
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Using Onshape across monitors can be handy if screen gets crowded (and you get plenty of room for custom features =) )
    This can also make nice screenshots of wide stuff

In windows, you need to drag manually to total wide, then snap top of monitor to get full screen.

//rami
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    Woops, accidentally posted to old thread..

Well, years go by so fast that it's just impossible to keep up - it's almost 2019 already and getting ready for 2020  :#
    //rami
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @3dcad
    Maybe you should just make a thread called "Tips and Tricks", and not have a year on it.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options

From the time when you needed different tricks and workarounds for many things that were later implemented as standard features..
    //rami