Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

What’s New in Onshape’s Latest Update (September 7th, 2018)

bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
edited September 2018 in New in Onshape

Hot on the heels of our previous release just two and a half weeks ago, here is another! Keep those improvement requests coming and enjoy these updates!

CAD IMPROVEMENTS

NEW GRIP POINT TYPES IN DRAWINGS

You will now see different types of grip points in Onshape’s drawings to indicate different actions. There are now closed-circles for moving grip points, squares for resizing, hollow circles for rotating, and diamond grip points for flipping.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/iwov1zqu8g

AUTOMATICALLY CREATE A VERSION AFTER IMPORT COMPLETES

Users can now quickly reference imported data because Onshape automatically creates a version after importing from the documents page. This not only creates a referenceable point in time for the original imported data, but also streamlines the process for bringing data into Onshape for immediate use in projects.

Note: Newly imported data will appear at the top of the ‘Created by me’ section in the insert dialog.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/4emyietex0

ADDITIONAL BALLOON SHAPES

Onshape now has an expanded selection of balloon shapes for the callout dialog. The expanded choices will be helpful for various drawing applications such as inspection drawings.

When in the callout dialog, the shape dropdown is listed alphabetically revealing the new options available. Adding flag notes, revision triangles, and more can be accomplished through the callout dialog.

COMPATIBILITY CHECK PAGE IMPROVEMENTS

The Onshape compatibility check page has been improved to indicate the platform, browser, and browser version you are using. It will highlight which of these items we don’t support and even provide a suggestion on how to get to a supported environment; whether it be sending you to an update page for your current browser or suggesting one of our native mobile applications.

AUTOCOMPLETE FOR FEATURESCRIPT LOCAL VARIABLES

Developers will now be able to use autocomplete for local variables in FeatureScript. After creating a variable or function, the next time a user starts to type that name they will see it as an option for autocompletion just as with Onshape’s FeatureScript standard Library.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/9fiqsacv4j

ADDITIONS TO STANDARD CONTENT

We have added standard content for DIN, ANSI, and ISO pins as well as DIN and ANSI retaining rings. To view the list of newly added standard components and submit requests for additional hardware please reference this forum post.

MOBILE IMPROVEMENTS

SHEET METAL TOOLS FOR IOS

Onshape’s IOS application now supports sheet metal tools. Don’t forget to take advantage of the precision selector on edges and corners.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/jucsmmoi6m

PROFESSIONAL FEATURES

REVISION LABEL ON RELEASED PARTS WHEN VIEWING A VERSION

You will now see labels indicating which items of a document are released when viewing a version that contains released items. This will streamline the navigation of versions for released items instead of having to go to the release package.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/1kr3oir7un

ENTERPRISE FEATURES

GETTING STARTED GUIDE FOR LIGHT USERS

When a Light user is added to an enterprise account, they will be greeted in Onshape with a message describing their permissions, as well as a getting started guide for navigating and using Onshape. The ‘Getting Started as a Light User’ guide for enterprise can be found here in the help.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/d4cum8cgdm

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the Onshape Changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
Twitter: @bradleysauln

Comments

• EricGauthierEricGauthier Member Posts: 73 ✭✭✭
    How not to be happy with the following:
    1. New Grip Point Types In Drawings
    2. Automatically Create A Version After Import Completes
    3. Additional Balloon Shapes
    4. Additions To Standard Content
    5. Getting Started Guide For Light Users (Useful for any supplier with a free account also)
    6. Improved Assembly Section View Performance in Drawings (listed in the Changelog)

• AuroraRonAuroraRon Member Posts: 120 PRO
    1. Automatically Create A Version After Import Completes
    Hey, so if we use the original version, it will help us with those complex files and not have to rebuild it right?  That helps for those pile of trash files that are all surfaces and take forever to process.

The sheetmetal in IOS... now THAT is cool !  

Bravo, thank you once again.  Nice job.

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited September 2018
    @AuroraRon - yes, this will help in your case specifically. Now you automatically have a version (cached) that you can insert into another document :)

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Nice, thanks
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    edited September 2018
    Thanks!
    I really like the featurescript variable autocomplete!

How do I view a SM flat pattern on mobile though?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
    When did my IR https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/8618/change-focus-in-rename-sheet-in-drawings-to-same-as-rename-tab get implemented?  Today it works as I requested.  Perhaps I missed the announcement?
  • Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 197
    @mbartlett21 : The ability to view the sheet metal flat pattern on mobile isn't available yet. 
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Great stuff as always, too bad sheet-metal isn't on android yet :(
    Moar balloons!
    Local Variable autocomplete... sweet
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Song_YikunSong_Yikun Member Posts: 39 PRO
    NEW BUG.............
    hi guys,
    Can you please tell me where I can find the changelog about "section view performance"?
    Sorry I didn't find any information about it but got a bug in onshape today.

I found that some imported parts will be missing in the new created section view.
    It looks like a "section depth" function was added, but I don't understand the new rule.
    somebody got the same problem?
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    @Yikun_Song - can you share an image of what you are seeing (or share a doc)? Also an image of where you are seeing the "section depth" option? I cannot find it (or reproduce on imported parts) - thank you.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    Thank you @paolo_cianci - easier to see with example and reproducible. @Yikun_Song please raise a support ticket

@pete_yodis
    @paolo_cianci @Yikun_Song @michael_mcclain - should be fixed now, please check.

• michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    The issue seems to be resolved. New view creation is normal. The original section views still had an issue, but I just had to move the section view grip to a new spot, then slide it back to the original position and the view went back to normal.
    Always love that Onshape support response time!
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    I like the new dimension grip point styles, up to a point. You can no longer drag a dimension arrow so that it precisely aligns with another dimension arrow. Please fix this while keeping the new features. Moving dimensions is now worse than it was, not an improvement.
  • Don_Van_ZileDon_Van_Zile Member Posts: 195 PRO
    I like the new dimension grip point styles, up to a point. You can no longer drag a dimension arrow so that it precisely aligns with another dimension arrow. Please fix this while keeping the new features. Moving dimensions is now worse than it was, not an improvement.
    Can you post a screenshot and/or the link to an example so I can better see for myself your issue as well?
    I noticed that today as well :(
  • Davide_CevDavide_Cev Member Posts: 8 PRO
    With this new grip point in the drawings is not possible to align quote at the same level.
    The drawing with a lot of quotes becomes a real mess.

That is the down side of "Always being up to date" if something isn't working the same anymore. You can't even go back and check old behavior. You have to rely on your gut memory. 
    @Don_Van_Zile

We are talking about the grips that used to be where the red dots are drawn below.

We used to use these very often to align our dimensions. It was very obvious when they were removed. No gut required

Gotcha! Thank you.
  • Song_YikunSong_Yikun Member Posts: 39 PRO
    NeilCooke said:
    @Yikun_Song - can you share an image of what you are seeing (or share a doc)? Also an image of where you are seeing the "section depth" option? I cannot find it (or reproduce on imported parts) - thank you.

hi Neil, thanks for your reply.
    Sorry for misunderstanding. There is no "section depth" option, and I found the bug has been fixed today.
    However, I still waiting for a "section depth" option cause it will help a lot in my drawings.  :):smile:

Yup, works again, Thanks all
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great... Really THIS is a great improvement of Onshape ;-)

Seriously it is.

A few months ago some of our SolidWorks customers received an email from their reseller indicating that there were errors in the last SolidWorks Service Pack.

The reseller recommended not to install that service pack... and customers who had already installed it would had to wait "ONLY A FEW DAYS" (actually more than a week >:) ) for a new service pack.

As a programmer, finding a bug like this in production is a kick in the ass but with systems like Git (something very similar to the revisions and branches management in Onshape) you can handle it much better.

Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
    edited September 2018

As a programmer, finding a bug like this in production is a kick in the ass but with systems like Git (something very similar to the revisions and branches management in Onshape) you can handle it much better.

Well said @em@emagdalenaC2C

So that explains why Git was worth $7.5 Billion to Microsoft... it must work some magic!
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/4/17422788/microsoft-github-acquisition-official-deal
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    It would be pretty impossible to succeed any software development undertaking without some form of version control software, and git is very much the industry standard nowadays.

Microsoft bought GitHub, which is the largest host of source code in the world, but git itself is FOSS (free and open source software).
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team