Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - May 3rd, 2019

cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
edited May 2019 in New in Onshape
It has been 3 weeks and we are ready to start May with an exciting new update! This update includes a number of highly-requested drawing improvements, performance improvements, and more. Let's take a look.

CAD IMPROVEMENTS

SPLIT BOM

You can now split the Bill of Materials in an Onshape Drawing.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/k4adgc7vhn

JOG POINTS IN ORDINATE DIMENSIONS

When manipulating ordinate dimensions, you will now see additional controls that allow you to re-position jogs.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/hkvlevafvp

DRAWING VIEW RENDER MODE

You can now set the render mode used in drawing views in Onshape. By default, the render mode will be set to "Best performance" on all new drawings, but can be set to "Best quality" if you want to favor quality over performance. Drawing views created prior to this update will be set to "High quality" but can be changed. This improvement combined with some other performance improvements has led to a significant decrease in drawing load times as well as the time it takes to generate drawing views.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/y8oih82w1a

LARGE ASSEMBLY PERFORMANCE

The performance of large assemblies has been improved with this update. The most noticeable change is the decrease in time it takes to open a large assembly that is referencing many Part Studio tabs. In the past, this involved pulling in each Part Studio in a serial process, but with this update, that process is now done in parallel. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/ck5tvdl3lp

DETAIL PANE IMPROVEMENTS

Improvements have been made to the Detail Pane to make it easier to use. Now when you select a Document from the Documents page you can choose to view the "Details" or the "Share Details."

PROFESSIONAL IMPROVEMENTS

ADD COMMENTS TO PAST RELEASES/OBSOLETIONS

You can now add comments to past releases or obsoletions.

ENTERPRISE IMPROVEMENTS

USING PROJECT ROLES AS APPROVERS OR OBSERVERS

When creating a release candidate, you can now use Project Roles for the Approver or Observer field.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Comments

• TieDyeKatzTieDyeKatz Member Posts: 1
    Nice job on the assembly performance!
    :)
  • Josiah_HarthcockJosiah_Harthcock Member Posts: 54 PRO
    Excited for this assembly performance upgrade!
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    HOLY Crap!

You can split BOM to multi-sheet!
    (guess I should of watched the video...)
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Split BOM and added performance 👌
    //rami
  • VierhoutVierhout Member Posts: 13 PRO
    Great update!
    www.vierhoutengineering.nl
    Mechanical Structural Engineering
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Split BOM on drawings was a much-needed improvement. Also, the large assembly I am working on today looks much faster than it did yesterday, any improvement to speed is much appreciated. Thanks, heaps for these continued improvements keep up the great work, I am already looking forward to see what comes in after another 3 weeks. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    The performance boost with big assemblies is great!

Onshape is amazing and gets better every 3 weeks!
    And I don't have to install updates or upgrade my hardware  :)
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited May 2019
    On the new share info panel, I was expecting to be able to edit from here but can not seem to. I can still RBM on the list for share in the drop down menu but was expecting clicking the new icon would enable me to share or change settings, am I missing something?
  • PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Split BOM.   :)
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice improvements!!!
    As @EricGauthier said, I love the performance and drawings improvements.

Ummm... Onshape 1.96!!!
    Are there plans for a Toga party online when Onshape reach v1.100?

Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Large assemblies- 2 thumbs up!
  • Effendi_HEffendi_H Member Posts: 19 PRO
    large assembly improve performance are awesome! Thanks for update..
    Thanks,
    Effendi H.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    I really like the performance improvements
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • albjerrealbjerre Member Posts: 23 ✭✭✭
    Great with better large assembly performance. I still need 3d-sketching capabilities though. There are a bunch of things I simple cannot model properly without it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 PRO
    Drawing improvements are always great, drawings are still the main way we communicate with manufacturing so still need to produce drawings. Split BOM, Jog points in ordinate dimensions and the drawing view render mode are excellent. Would love to be able to sketch in the drawing environment so I can give more information.
  • Song_YikunSong_Yikun Member Posts: 39 PRO
    weight in BOM?
  • Cache_River_MillCache_River_Mill Member Posts: 225 PRO
    Excellent work Onshape team! Thank you. B)
    On the new share info panel, I was expecting to be able to edit from here but can not seem to. I can still RBM on the list for share in the drop down menu but was expecting clicking the new icon would enable me to share or change settings, am I missing something?
    Thanks, @MBartlett21 for the IR, this is what I'd expected from the new share button, not just a display panel    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/11671/edit-shares-from-share-panel#latest
    I agree with mates referenced with the part. But they should also be in bulk on the bottom (like SW)
    sometimes it is easier to window select from the bulk list rather than exclusive have them stored in the part instance.

And yes yes yes to everything you said
    There are some IRs floating around for a few of those.
    If you make IR, they will come.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @john_mcclary
    @don_williams909
    I would like the assembly tree to be split into two parts, each scrolling separately, like the parts list and feature list in the part studio.
    Do you agree?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    I could get down with that
    Any hope for the next update before the holiday? :wink: Looking to play with new features during the long weekend :)
  • cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
    Not ready yet @john_mcclary so it will be after the holiday.
    Thanks :) at least I won't have to keep checking :) Better know when it won't be, than know nothing at all :)