Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - October 27th, 2020

mfalkensteinermfalkensteiner Member, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 62
edited March 2021 in New in Onshape

How do you update to the latest version of Onshape? Just Sign-In - I'm extremely proud to present the new features in this latest release!

INTRODUCING: WHERE USED

The advanced search tool in Onshape helps you quickly find any version or revision of a Part or Assembly, but it doesn't tell you where that Part or Assembly has been used throughout your organization. To address this, a new capability has been added that allows you to interrogate your search results and perform a "where used" or reverse search, starting with the Part or Assembly and searching upwards through every Subassembly, Assembly and Drawing that references it. This is important when considering the impact of an Engineering Change Request. 

To make sure we deliver the best experience for everyone, we will gradually roll out this new functionality. It is available now to all Onshape Enterprise customers and will be made available to all Onshape Professional customers in the coming months. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/1cxu3accis?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/1cxu3accis?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

CAD IMPROVEMENTS

AUTOMATIC VIEW SIMPLIFICATION

When you insert a view of a large assembly into a drawing, Onshape now automatically determines the best setting for view simplification based on the complexity of the view geometry. This leads to performance improvements when inserting views of large assemblies.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/906e3yws3h?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

NEW NOTIFICATIONS ICONS

When you hover over the notification area, a new delete icon will appear to let you delete the notification. The blue dot next to the delete icon indicates an unread notification. After the message has been read, you can click on the grayed out dot to mark it as unread again.

EXPORT OBJ FILE FORMAT

The OBJ file format is now available in the export menu in Assemblies and Part Studios. If you choose this export format, a ZIP file is created which contains both the OBJ and MTL file.

SETUP WALKTHROUGH

When a new user signs in to their Onshape account for the very first time, they are now guided through a series of account setup options. When a new team member is onboarding or you are setting up a new account, you won't miss any of the options that are available in your account preferences and you'll be able to get to work more quickly and more efficiently.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/m8y7t3n07r?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

ENTERPRISE IMPROVEMENTS

NEW DASHBOARD: MODELING TIME PER PROJECT PER DAY

A new chart has been added to the User Dashboard to show each user's modelling time per project per day. This gives executives and project managers an overview of the contributions made by each user on each project to enable better decisions and better resource management. 

SUPPORT FOR GOOGLE SSO - DOMAIN WHITELIST

When setting up Google SSO, the admin of your enterprise may now add a specific domain to the new "Domain Whitelist" field. This allows anyone with that email domain to sign in to that specific enterprise. Help documentation on how to set up Single Sign On with Google can be found here.

EDUCATION ENTERPRISE: SIMPLIFIED USER MANAGEMENT

All users within an Onshape Education Enterprise account are full members by default, so we have simplified the process of adding new users by removing the Light and Guest user options.

FEATURESCRIPT IMPROVEMENTS

NAMED ATTRIBUTES

Attributes created using setAttribute can now be assigned a name. Using a name makes attributes easier to retrieve rather than having to construct an attributePattern. A new set of queries have also been added so you can query by name, name/value or name/attributePattern. Help documentation for named attributes and how legacy unnamed attributes are handled can be found here.

setAttribute(context, {
    entities: myQuery,
    name: "myAttribute",
    attribute: myValue
});
getAttributes(context, {
    entities: myQuery,
    name: "myAttribute"
});
qHasAttribute("myAttribute");
qHasAttributeWithValue("myAttribute", myValue);
qHasAttributeWithValueMatching("myAttribute", {
    "field1" : "value1",
    "field2" : "value2"
});

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Principal Technical Services Engineer, EMEAI

Comments

• emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    where used is awesome <3 
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • alan_baljeualan_baljeu Member, User Group Leader Posts: 111 ✭✭
    Named attributes seems a great addition.  So now no need to do
    setAttribute(context, {
                    "entities" : qNonCapEntity(id, EntityType.FACE),
                    "attribute" : { "name" : "moldStockSides" } });

instead

setAttribute(context, {
                    "entities" : qNonCapEntity(id, EntityType.FACE),
                    "name" : "moldStockSides" });

In this case is the attribute member of the map necessary?  Seems we just want to name a query relative to our stuff so we can use that in future.
    Creating knowledge-driven design automation software, for molds, etc.
    www.virtualmold.com

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Great to see more improvements. Where used is moving in a good direction

Is there any way as a pro user we can get the MODELING TIME info?  This would be very useful.  I am not expecting the details of enterprise but for smaller users or contractors being able to check this would be very useful. Also as a user under Enterprise, it would be great to be able to see this info to help self-manage time spent. 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    I like what you did with the new user setup walk through.
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    I can tell a lot of thought and work has gone into Where Used. I'm actually fairly stoked about OBJ export and it's pretty timely for us. We needed it just last week.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 565
    @alan_baljeu
    You do need to set a value for the attribute, but you can set it to something simple like true, and still get the full value of qHasAttribute() later on.
  • ian_d_gardinerian_d_gardiner Member, User Group Leader Posts: 35 PRO
    Great job rolling out the Where Used. Can't wait to try it!
  • EricGauthierEricGauthier Member Posts: 73 ✭✭✭
    Can't wait to try the "Where Used"!  :)
  • Josiah_HarthcockJosiah_Harthcock Member Posts: 54 PRO
    Where used, let's goooo! Thanks guys!
  • BMcGaffeyBMcGaffey Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    Great stuff, Where Used will be a game changer for our workflow. 
  • GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
    OBJ export is a great addition for me, thank you
  • Jacob_CorderJacob_Corder Member Posts: 126 PRO
    AWESOME!! Named attributes will be Extremely helpful. Thank you guys
  • chadstoltzfuschadstoltzfus Member, Developers, csevp Posts: 130 PRO
    Excited to update our framework to the new attribute system. Would be very interested to see Where Used evolve to include being able to see where a part studio is being used as a reference parameter in other documents.
    Applications Developer at Premier Custom Built
    chadstoltzfus@premiercb.com
  • Tristan_FlowersTristan_Flowers Member Posts: 4 PRO
    Still waiting on updates for sheet metal...
  • Mehul_GalaMehul_Gala Member Posts: 25 PRO
    Love the where-used! Great update! Great work!
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Still waiting on updates for sheet metal...
    I'm always for sheet-metal updates.
    What ones in particular are you waiting for?
    I'll add my votes to any improvement requests you have open if you link them here
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    As a pro (but not enterprise user) this one feels a little bitter-sweet. I'm super excited about "where-used", but sad that it's rolling out gradually. 

Oh well, could be worse...
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, other CAD systems rolling out these kinds of features a year later, not 3 weeks  :) 
    I understand it very well. It's just a matter of checking that everithing is ok before all user work with this new functionality.
    And it makes sense that the enterprise users should be the first to try these big new functionalities
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    @emagdalenaC2i - For sure! I completely understand the reasoning for a slower rollout for such a big feature. I'm just being impatient. :smile:

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,695 PRO
    OBJ, nice. Thank you Onshape team!

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Theo_RTheo_R Member Posts: 81 PRO
    Where used will prove very helpful. Thank you.
  • KrzKrz Member, Developers Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
    Anybody tried to use OBJ exports from Onshape?
    I tried exported OBJ model in 3D printing slicers (FlashPrint, Cura 4 and IdeaMaker) and it seems Onshape has made OBJ model 1000x smaller.
  • TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    @Krz
    Sounds like a units mixup. Scale off by 1000 would sound like one unit set is meters and the other mm.
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • KrzKrz Member, Developers Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
    @TimRice I know it but why? Exported STLs, STEPs are OK.
  • TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    @Krz
    OBJ is a unitless filetype so we do not store the units when exporting. You will likely need to change the import units on the application you are using to import the file.
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    Same scale issue with Keyshot too - will need to learn the ins & outs of exporting OBJ for sure. (maybe it's not better than parasolid or using the "Onshape Connector" for Keyshot.

• kevin_whitekevin_white Member, csevp Posts: 11 EDU
    Thank you so much for adding the OBJ+MTL export option. This is essential for the VR and AR work we do in my classes! Now, if we can just get some textures in there (sort of like Inventor), that would be a DREAM!
  • fnxffnxf Member, User Group Leader Posts: 134 PRO
    "where used" sounds and seems so simple.. in all the PLM systems that I've been using it has always been a bit of a pain point. I am looking forward to try it out once it trickles down to my level. From @NeilCooke 's video it seems easy to use :smiley:
    Un saludo,