Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Onshape and 3D mouses

124»

Answers

• bartyborrisbartyborris OS Professional Posts: 11 PRO
    I'm also a linux user and would really like to use my 3DConnexion Space Navigator with onshape.
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 673 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm also a linux user and would really like to use my 3DConnexion Space Navigator with onshape.
    You probably need to address that request to 3D Connexion.
  • nicolas_7nicolas_7 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    nav said:
    Hi @matias_ares I got this reply from dave_c from OS regarding 3D Connexion MAC OS support. I wrote them as suggested by Dave. My 3D mouse is in a drawer right now... :(

@nav Support for the 3D mouse in browsers on Macs requires implementation by 3D Connexion.  Onshape is platform independent - so when that support is provided, Onshape will work with it.  As Onshape is the first and only production CAD system that runs directly in browsers, 3D Connexion needed to develop new drivers. 3D Connexion was very pro-active in working with Onshape to both develop and beta test the Windows driver over the past several months - resulting in today's release.  They chose to provide support first for browsers on Windows as that is by far their largest market and are actively considering developing drivers for browsers on Mac.  We will forward your request to them and feel free to contact them directly with your request as well.  
    That was a very reasonable position, now we are 6 months later, are the drivers arrived or was it a joke?
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 673 ✭✭✭✭
    3D Connexion writes the drivers - have you tried contacting them yet?
  • piri_roterpiri_roter Member Posts: 5
    same with me
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    The Onshape work to support 3DConnexion (3Dx) devices is now complete. We turned it on for Windows users a few releases ago as there was already a compatible 3Dx driver. The work for MacOS is now complete (and turned on) - we are using as-yet unreleased beta drivers from 3Dx. I would wait for an announcement from 3Dx (and us) that the new Mac driver has been made publicly available. For Linux support, please contact 3Dx and make your wishes known (if they support it, chances are that it will already work in Onshape and if not, it probably wouldn't take us long to figure it out) :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • c_17c_17 Member Posts: 10 EDU
    Any news regarding the release of the 3Dx Mac driver ?  I can only find the one from last year  :/
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    UPDATE: I wanted to let everyone know that the 3DConnexion Mac driver is now live that supports Onshape.  Get the driver here: http://www.3dconnexion.com/service/drivers.html
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    My 3Dx mouse is working great. The only issue I have is that it seems to be a little inconsistent with sometimes when you go normal to a sketch is stays locked normal but you can zoom in and out. Other times is seems to let you rotated out of the normal plane. Any ideas which behavior is intended and which is the bug?
  • c_17c_17 Member Posts: 10 EDU
    Great! Gonna try it first thing in the morning  :)
  • Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    I have installed and playing around with it. Love it, BUT.... I cannot seem to get my SpacePilot to pan. I can zoom and rotate fine, and all the navigation setting buttons have been tried toggling them on and off. Unfortunately immediately after install I started poking around in settings so it may have been me causing this issue. (FYI the SpacePilot works flawlessly on my windows machine)

Long story short anyone with a mac and SpacePilot able to pan or do I need to contact 3DConnexion and report a bug.

Last if it is me and my messing around in settings. Any advice on how to remedy this? I have tried hitting the defaults button in settings and uninstaling-reinstalling 
  • cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
    BenE said:
    I have installed and playing around with it. Love it, BUT.... I cannot seem to get my SpacePilot to pan. I can zoom and rotate fine, and all the navigation setting buttons have been tried toggling them on and off. Unfortunately immediately after install I started poking around in settings so it may have been me causing this issue. (FYI the SpacePilot works flawlessly on my windows machine)

Long story short anyone with a mac and SpacePilot able to pan or do I need to contact 3DConnexion and report a bug.

Last if it is me and my messing around in settings. Any advice on how to remedy this? I have tried hitting the defaults button in settings and uninstaling-reinstalling 
    Im using a Space Mouse Pro on a Mac and do not have any issues with Pan.  Not sure if there is a difference between Space Mouse and Space Pilot in terms of the settings, etc.  I would reach out to 3dConnexion, sounds like you have already tried all the basics to get it working.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Just installed my old spacenavigator to new laptop (w10 thinkpad). Bumped into common problem with 3dconnexion driver not regognizing Onshape.

After re-install, re-start and re-think I disabled McAfee Live protection that was preinstalled in my laptop - 3d mouse started working immediately and 3dconnexion properties screen says Onshape instead of browser name. I went ahead and removed McAfee completely, it seems to cause many installation issues.
    //rami
  • bill_raynerbill_rayner OS Professional Posts: 34 PRO
    edited May 2016
    Had a problem with a dead 3d connexion 3D mouse on chrome after Mac system update, but a restart of chrome fixed it when a full system restart didn't.
  • Reece_IsaacReece_Isaac Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    You probably need to address that request to 3D Connexion.
    I did that, DLed the Linux driver and proved the Spacenavigator worked by manipulating the Xcube.  Yet when I logged on to ONshape with my regular browser, it failed to manipulate the model.  I tried my second and third browser and achieved the same result!  I have since be trying to get the opensource driver to work but I've screwed it up some where and will have to try to fresh start the process.  3Dx drivers are quite old now and any forum chatter I've seen there mostly dates back to 2010 and earlier.  This forum has the most recent traffic from what I've seen.  The problem wasn't getting the Spacenav to work in Linux, it was to get it to work in Linux AND Onshape! 
    BTW the browsers are Opera, Chromium and Firefox.
    As a matter of interest on how well supported Linux is supported by 3Dx, the Linux driver is 1.8.0 from 2014, the Windows driver is version 10.4.8  from 2016!  Now one could take the view that they got the Linux driver spot on fairly quickly or they don't really give a toss for their Linux OS customers!  
  • Reece_IsaacReece_Isaac Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I am wondering if the issue is more to do with Chromium/Chrome/Firefox/Opera under Linux rather than purely 3dx.
     As I pointed out previously I have been able to get it to respond in FreeCAD and the demonstration cubes.  Both the 3dx one and the opensource one.

It is Onshape (in the formentioned browsers) and Varicad that respond to Spacnavigators inputs.

I have proved the Spacenavigator works on my compter and my operating system (Linux Mint 18) using two programs (three if you count the demo cubes separately), so the issue must be with how the browsers interpret and respond to the 3dmouse inputs or how Onshape interprets and responds the the 3dmouse inputs.  Why is 3dconexxion on the hook for other programs not reacting the same as the example program they supply that works?

Maybe the focus shold be on the broswers in much the same way we do when we have GL issues.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,284
    @Reece_Isaac - 3dconnexion are on the hook because it's their drivers, but you are right the issue is that their drivers do not support browsers. Onshape just responds to mouse inputs and it's up to the device and driver to supply them.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • rubin110rubin110 Member Posts: 2
    I would pay for Onshape if it had 3Dconnexion/Spacenav support for Linux. I understand that 3Dconnexion's linux driver is out of your hands, however Spacenavd is an open source project and they're happy to take in patches.
  • adam_bowersadam_bowers Member Posts: 5
    Has there been any news on spacenavd and OnShape playing nice together?  
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,284
    @adam_bowers maybe you could try asking their community if anyone is able to write a driver for Onshape? 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • johannes_wjohannes_w Member Posts: 25 PRO
    I am wondering if the issue is more to do with Chromium/Chrome/Firefox/Opera under Linux rather than purely 3dx.
     As I pointed out previously I have been able to get it to respond in FreeCAD and the demonstration cubes.  Both the 3dx one and the opensource one.

It is Onshape (in the formentioned browsers) and Varicad that respond to Spacnavigators inputs.

I have proved the Spacenavigator works on my compter and my operating system (Linux Mint 18) using two programs (three if you count the demo cubes separately), so the issue must be with how the browsers interpret and respond to the 3dmouse inputs or how Onshape interprets and responds the the 3dmouse inputs.  Why is 3dconexxion on the hook for other programs not reacting the same as the example program they supply that works?

Maybe the focus shold be on the broswers in much the same way we do when we have GL issues.
    That's because only 3dx drivers newer than 2015 work with Onshape. Since the spacenav project didn't get a real update in the last 5 years (2014), it emulates the driver of 3dx that was available 2014. That's the reason why you were able to control native Linux software but not Onshape. Also the official linux driver for 3dx devices has been dropped in 2014.
  • wcsmithwcsmith Member Posts: 2
    Looks like the spacenavd developers have considered adding Onshape support but I can't see any sign that they have moved forward with it yet:
    https://sourceforge.net/p/spacenav/mailman/message/35655508/

This work is over my head, but I sure would be grateful to whomever takes it up! Using Onshape on Kubuntu and I miss my 3dx mouse...