Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

#TraditionalCADsucks

Comments

• Don_Van_ZileDon_Van_Zile Member Posts: 195 PRO

@michael_mcclain Thanks and looking forward to you sharing the library here to be sure! Maybe @NeilCooke can give anymore info or tease if the BEAM's is still being developed...  :)

• michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    edited August 2018
    It's not a library to copy, but I would like to add as many profiles as possible to fill it out and get it to a publish-able stage. I'm just looking to add libraries to it and see where it goes.

Lord knows there are more profiles than I'll ever use, but I was bored a few days and just went for it. I'll make a post on Monday and see where that goes
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭

When Onshape releases Weldment/Beam and Cut-List functionality that is native without Featurescript, that's when I see machine design industries really start to try it out for the switch/win and really start growing.
    @D@Don_Van_Zile actually you can create some great projects with welments in Onshape (and FeatureScript).

Here you can see a sample of aluminium profiles with a FeatureScript we have created
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCjkPs2fGp0

Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
    edited August 2018

@emagdalenaC2C Thanks for sharing that video. However, without 3D Sketches (makes it much more efficient) and actually supplying all of the standard profiles (ANSI INCH especially for US) right on login makes it much more difficult to permeate to the team and others will have this same problem without an expert on site. I see this as a recognized Learning Path Center course which will be important for new users in special machine design to be certified in at companies to be sure.

SW has this "Standard Library of Profiles) and I hope Onshape follows suite, but better!  :)

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi.

I'm sure it will come in time.

As it stands setting up new profiles is a bit fiddly but doable with one "expert".  So if there are only a few common types you use then it's achievable.  Once inserted the profiles are automatically available to anyone who has "your" copy of the beams feature installed, so no knowledge required on behalf of the additional users.

I like the fact that I can comment out the less common profiles so my user (a bigger team would be nice) can only pick from what I've enabled.  What would be super awesome is if I could link it to my supplier for live quotes and stock availability check...

Adding the featurescript (and assembly configs when they're baked) will take it to a whole new level.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    edited August 2018
    I like the fact that I can comment out the less common profiles so my user (a bigger team would be nice) can only pick from what I've enabled.  What would be super awesome is if I could link it to my supplier for live quotes and stock availability check...

Adding the featurescript (and assembly configs when they're baked) will take it to a whole new level.

Owen S.
    Agreed and can't wait. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . But have to.  :s
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't have to wait... You can use another FeatureScript to create a kind of 3D sketches and use it to create weldment profiles. Take a look to the Ortho lines FeatureScript for instance https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5a344daad1ec87e14cdb6dc6/w/9f627cf9b5d269053e17e7ba/e/d6044307bd7c5a3a3121deb5

There are also a lot of standard profiles in the Beam FeatureScript
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común

Thanks @emagdalenaC2C I'll give that a try to be sure as a start for now. Hopefully it won't be too much longer for Onshape's starting solution though. :) 
    edited August 2018
    What a terrible problem to have :)

Not sure the health and safety brigade will sign off on that children's helter-skelter, but it does look fun!

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @Don_Van_Zile @michael_mcclain - There is a good chance (subject to QA), that BEAMS get a whole lot of 'wow' in the next release (small change, big impact). Perhaps you'll get exactly what you're looking for? ;) #cryptic #tease :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    edited August 2018

@philip_thomas - Good deal, thanks for the tease, albeit 010010100011 (code).  I can't wait to see what @NeilCooke & #TEAM is cooking, but it's summer and don't want it to go by too fast.  :) 

• konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    There is a good chance (subject to QA), that BEAMS get a whole lot of 'wow' in the next release (small change, big impact). Perhaps you'll get exactly what you're looking for? ;)
    So you will add import interface into the user features and allow saving of imported contexts for all feature calls? :*
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    edited August 2018
    No chance.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
    Give the man a job already. The commute to work each day might be a bit of a b!tch though...
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited August 2018
    Urmagurd!

Missing Onshape's lossless work flow. (Not needing to save)

SW just glitched out on me and wouldn't display dimensions (although I could edit them if i was clever enough to click on the invisible dim)
    Unfortunately, The save button quit working also... So guess who has two thumbs and gets to re-do a weldment.... This guy

https://youtu.be/FRbAjs01FJY
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited August 2018
    @john_mcclary
    Maybe it's just because your not running the latest version  :D:D

didn't find mention about enabling the Save button on 2018 or even 2019 beta though.. =)
    //rami
    It can't just be me who finds SW to be a constant fight just trying to get the software to work.
    Solidworks has only been up and running on my computer today for the creation of this weldment, and already it is unstable... It was displaying the cut profile up until I changed the color of the weldment... lol this is what it did:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-gft4QGTIE 

There is a second bit of annoyance in this video too, where solidworks can't even remember where your toolbars go even though they are locked (that is a once a month issue where I have to re-sort the toolbar) Stupid Solidworks.. Onshape can remember toolbars even on computers it's never been run on :wink:
    It can't just be me who finds SW to be a constant fight just trying to get the software to work.
    Solidworks has only been up and running on my computer today for the creation of this weldment, and already it is unstable... It was displaying the cut profile up until I changed the color of the weldment... lol this is what it did:

There is a second bit of annoyance in this video too, where solidworks can't even remember where your toolbars go even though they are locked (that is a once a month issue where I have to re-sort the toolbar) Stupid Solidworks.. Onshape can remember toolbars even on computers it's never been run on :wink:
    Did you try uninstalling the software and reinstalling it? I hear that's what the older folks used to do with their appz ;)  Sometimes it's good to waste a large portion of your life to be sure.  :D

Did you try uninstalling the software and reinstalling it? I hear that's what the older folks used to do with their appz ;)  Sometimes it's good to waste a large portion of your life to be sure.  :D
    Sad thing is, that's about all the help you get from solidworks forums and support tickets... Bunch of artards on the forum (if they even answer) and support just says time to upgrade (but upgrades tend to have even more errors, and the original problem still exists)

It just feels right that my 100th vote-up was lamenting old-school cad... Thanks @john_mcclary!
     ;)
    Here are a couple more, have fun deciphering them lol

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    Is the file in the second one called "an unnamed file"?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    Blue screen of death has experienced an exception and will now close...
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "You ask me to access your files, but you don't ask me with respect")