Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

#TraditionalCADsucks

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited September 2018
    I swear SW has more error types than working code ;p

Been using SW for 7+ years, still find new error messages all the time :)
    Although this may not be SW's fault

• Don_Van_ZileDon_Van_Zile Member Posts: 195 PRO

Good morning... oh... maybe not

• sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    @john_mcclary  
    OMG! Pretty hard to get work done with all those error messages?!!

In case you contact the support you probably get on of the following answers:
    • Have you tried turning it off and on again? 
    • A reinstall would help!
    • Or switch to the newest release  :s  
    There goes another hour of work..
    Can't even Alt+F4
    https://youtu.be/Dx-rh9jHMX0
    edited September 2018
    stupid solidworks...

It's not like the part has changed at all in the last 12 days..

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,305
    There goes another hour of work..
    Can't even Alt+F4
    https://youtu.be/Dx-rh9jHMX0
    That's funny - do you just keep the screen recording on all the time to catch all the crashes?  :D
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    Actually it is so frequent we get these stupid errors, I only show the really annoying ones that do it enough to make me want to vent on the forum  :'(
    At least when Onshape has a bug or error, it gets fixed either imediatly, or in a couple weeks. Some of these bugs have been around in solidworks for years..
    Updating server, while designing in Onshape... Try that with solidworks  o:)

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    ^^^^^ Now THAT'S AWESOME!!!! :)

Philip Thomas - Onshape
    Finally, something less depressing on this thread
    So this message pops up randomly..

Well gee whiz solidworks, I'd hope so... I just got done recovering from a crash and cleared out all the hanging processes. Now that you're so proud to report that, what are you gonna do about all the dataloss from the last session... oh wait... notadamthing..  :s stupid solidworks..

Well that didn't take long to cause more issues today..
    https://youtu.be/tF0F5EB6AA8
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    @john_mcclary
    Have you considered burning that PC and starting again with a new one?🔥 It might not be sillyworks at fault, it might just be possessed...  Or it might just be your IT dept. messing with you, change your IP addresses and see if the problems persist 🐒🤞
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    edited October 2018
    I am the IT dept... heh I got my IP static (everyone has to check their IP before remote desktop into conference room LOL) that never gets old.

But srsly.. SW gets worse and worse. I used to swear by it, now I just swear at it. That all doubled once I started really using Onshape, and you see what Zero maintenance really means! 

That and SW gives me PLENTY of time to complain on the forums..

That's not a photoshop ^^

It takes 20 minutes to change configs... yesterday it was only 5 minutes..
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    Very Escher-esque screenshot!
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @john_mcclary
    According to my 20+ years research, 90's dance music is one of the best ways to calm one down while waiting for programs to respond!
    Once everything is working, I'd continue with some heavy metal. =)=)
    //rami
     ;) 
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    Just installed Autodesk Software on a new Windows 10 Laptop.

Now the "Autodesk Desktop App" which downloads all the updates is not responding:

edited October 2018
    I feel you @sebastian_glanzner , I haven't been able to install autocad (except for design review & TrueView) on my machine at work for a very long time.
    Tried every version we have from 2004 to 2018, tried virtual machines, tried XP mode, nothing :(
    So I'm stuck using DraftSight instead... and use remote desktop onto an old machine to do the commands that DraftSight cannot, like stepout, or amviewout.

Which is a shame, I thought autocad 2012 was a pretty decent 2D program... (Last version I got to use)

I should re-phrase that, I can install it, but it crashes before it opens.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    @john_mcclary, ok so your management want many projects to be in SOLIDWORKS. Did they explicitly state that it had to be editable? Onshape has a pretty good parasolid export...  o:)
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Unfortunatly Yes, we don't do the multi CAD package crap. It's going to be all SW or all Onshape for the whole job
  • kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Im genuinely curious here. The screenshots you show are bread and butter stuff for most 3D CAD systems. We use SolidWorks, Creo and Fusion360 and Rhino here primarily with in context top down assembly or complex surfacing and master parts linked to assemblies and drawings. Typically we have assemblies with maybe 200 unique parts and thousands overall, with linked drawings with 20-30 sheets. Creo has crashed 2 times in 6 months and one of them was when the license server failed. SolidWorks is used more often but we get maybe 1 crash every few days over 2 licenses. I've used SolidWorks for over 20 years and never seen problems as bad as that. Perhaps your environment is the issue or a big factor? What does the VAR say?

Before anyone jumps in I am not doubting your issues just surprised they are as severe as you say. To be frank I would be getting my VAR on this with a fraction of these problems, and getting SW to dial in to look at the environment.

I was a (very) early alpha/beta tester of Onshape but chose not to go down this route as the pace of development (or rather the path) did not suite our needs (complex surfaces needed), and the cost did not offer any benefits to existing license holders (compared to functionality and hassle of changing). We actually jumped onto Creo when that went subs only as well as Fusion. 

so we do do the "multi CAD crap" here. In my experience no single system does it all sufficiently well to make us most efficient.for us that rules out Onshape as we always need some off line capability. 
    The issues are at their peak right now with Solidworks at our company, 2016 was mostly good.
    2017 all hell broke loose. By the time we really knew how bad it was, we had a few projects done and was relatively too late to abandon and go back to 2016.

We skipped over 2018 in fear of further problems (as has been the case with every release so far starting around 2016)

About a year or so ago I heard on Onshape and was not serious about it. But I stated paying attention to the updates, and the very non-toxic community on the forum (People actually know what they are talking about most of the time. I'm still in a forum thread in solidworks that has been un-resolved from 2015) I finaly gave up on that thread a couple days ago with a simple:

I mean look at how terrible that work around is.. That was pretty much the best answer.. other than:

Onshape has the advantage that we can share our documents directly with the forum, or support. Which doesn't required copies of the file, or having to repeat the Fix into your main project. Sometimes they fix the bug the SAME DAY.

Onshape has it's problems, but most of the ones that really bite me with SW are inherent in the fact that it is a piece of software on a computer. Each computer could be slightly different in setup/configuration. Each File is "locked" if someone has it open (even with eDrawings in the shop) So if you open a file and it says read only, it may be a 5 minute adventure as you check everyone's computer for eDrawings being open. When you have a couple people working on the same area of a project, it becomes a game of hot potato with each file as you swap around between readonly and write access.

Some bugs are only on one person's machine, some are on all. Some are so bazaar there is no telling what the cause was. With a cloud based system, it comes down to "Was this on firefox, chrome, etc" otherwise we all see the same bugs and (I'm sure) that makes it much easier to chase down the bugs on Onshape's end. 

These reasons are the main reasons Onshape was founded, and they have certainly addressed most of these issues flawlessly.
  • adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    edited October 2018
    Im genuinely curious here. The screenshots you show are bread and butter stuff for most 3D CAD systems. We use SolidWorks, Creo and Fusion360 and Rhino here primarily with in context top down assembly or complex surfacing and master parts linked to assemblies and drawings. Typically we have assemblies with maybe 200 unique parts and thousands overall, with linked drawings with 20-30 sheets. Creo has crashed 2 times in 6 months and one of them was when the license server failed. SolidWorks is used more often but we get maybe 1 crash every few days over 2 licenses. I've used SolidWorks for over 20 years and never seen problems as bad as that. Perhaps your environment is the issue or a big factor? What does the VAR say?

In my experience with SW the issues come in waves... either with releases, SPs, Windows updates and so on. So yes, most of the time the instability  is more of an "ecosystem" no just the software , but once you experience not having to deal with that crap, it's hard to go back.
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
    , but once you experience not having to deal with that crap is hard to go back.
    Exactly
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Has it been all good with Onshape for you guys?

My experience has been 99,5% positive, very few issues and superb customer care.

Only issues I've had were with assembly mating, usually it creates error even though there's nothing wrong and it can be solved by suppressing some mate and then un-suppress.
    10 minutes ago I got issue with main assembly breaking sub assy, no errors just took one part of sub assy and mated that and left the rest flying.
    Got it fixed by suppress the mate drag near to place and un-suppress but it still left some parts flying around, then I actuated the subassy movement and suddenly the rest of parts flew to their places.

It's not the end of the world but my pulse wen't up as it was first time for me when Onshape act completely irrational. If this happened few times a day I would start a tube channel to compete with @john_mcclary
    //rami