Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

#TraditionalCADsucks

Comments

• kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback. I totally understand the issues with Windows updates. FWIW SolidWorks 2018 has been pretty good for us but we have had issues with licensing after a Windows update. It usually breaks something. When/if Onshape does develop feature parity for the types of things we do we will likely take a close look at it again.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Well I put it to you @3dcad do you have something so off the wall you could post something sinister every day about Onshape? Not nearly as annoying as this I would say:

Last modification of file: 

Last PDF printed upon release:

Attempt to print an updated package today (paint colors were updated on a few other parts of the packge, just PDFing the whole package)

Go back into SW and browse to the tab: Yup errors are shown:

Click on the tab and open the page: Hmm.. doesn't look broken..

Let's PDF just this sheet: Huh.. looks good again

Just for kicks lets re-PDF the whole package again. Apparently it fixed itself this time.. Wasn't expecting that to be honest

If you look back a few days, you will see I fixed this part a few days ago already... But that made it to paper before I caught it. Every once in a while I get a bastard part that just won't stay detailed, this time it was the top slots that broke though. And I still haven't modified the part.
    stupid solidworks...

It's not like the part has changed at all in the last 12 days..

I mean it isn't a complicated part.. 2 features

Now, do I have a right to be *&(% Pissed off about that crapware?!
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I always thought I was suffering for being stingy when low cost Alibre messed up drawings almost everytime while the file wasn't even accessed. It was very disturbing that assemblies & drawings could broke them selves without no one accessing them.
    I'm glad I didn't try to fix it by getting that *&(% SW :#

@john_mcclary or anyone else, have you had ANY anomalies with Onshape? I've had one and it was today..
    //rami
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    @3dcad
    Could you please create a version (or otherwise mark the time) at the state of anomaly and report it to support? We'd like to check what happened. 

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    The worst I've had was Ons running fine in the morning UK time but seeming to slow down in the afternoon. Hasn't happened for longer than I can remember though. We're happy enough that we've just added more Onshape seats. Hurrah.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    edited October 2018
    3dcad said:
    I always thought I was suffering for being stingy when low cost Alibre messed up drawings almost everytime while the file wasn't even accessed. It was very disturbing that assemblies & drawings could broke them selves without no one accessing them.

@john_mcclary or anyone else, have you had ANY anomalies with Onshape? I've had one and it was today..
    I haven't had this specific problem in Onshape yet, but just look at that quick response time from on Onshape employee... I mean, even if it did bug like that I have a lot of faith in Onshape to remedy the problem as soon as possible.

But yes I have had a fair many anomalies in Onshape, but as you saw from the post before, MANY / most of them have been solved and this has gotten more stable for the type of work I've been doing in it so far. As long as Onshape continues to listen and care about the customer's input. This should be a comfortable home for the next 10ish years (about how long SW was great)
    I did create a ticket and it's closed already since problem didn't persist. I think one time can be because of the windy and rainy weather.. I'll let you know if such happens again.
    //rami
    edited October 2018
    So the CNC guys wanted a seat of eDrawings on their computer (suprised they never had it on, or bothered to ask after all this time)
    Now SW demands you register your email and get an unlock code. (Why, it's free software...)
    Oh, this is why, to spam people who have no interest in buying solidworks... Now I feel bad when we ask a customer to install eDrawings for design reviews... If only there were a CAD system out there that let you share a URL and didn't require downloads, it would be better if what they say was live and always up to date too.. oh wait  ;)

• lemon1324lemon1324 Member, Developers Posts: 223 EDU
    I've finally convinced the rest of my lab to use Onshape for all of our research projects; getting people off SW is like pulling teeth sometimes...

I also attempted to use SW for a thermal analysis (I needed to include radiative heat transfer, which the free partner apps don't seem to have) on a reasonably complex part with fillets everywhere, resulting in the following (dramatized) account:

SW: Hey, I can't mesh that.
    Me: Okay, what if I simplify the part and remove some small edges from fillets?
    SW: I can't mesh that.
    Me: Okay, what if I simplify more?

4 hours later...

SW: I can mesh that!
    Me: Cool, can we run the simulation then?
    SW: Hey, um.  I know we just generated a mesh, but in order to run the simulation I need to re-mesh it (just to be sure!) and now I can't find any information about a mesh, so I can't simulate this.
    Me: ಠ_ಠ

Arul Suresh
    PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University
    edited October 2018
    lemon1324 said:
    getting people off SW is like pulling teeth sometimes...

Real talk. Doesn't matter that they swear out loud "^&#$'ing solidworks!" every day. They just won't leave their comfort zone. Guess you really can't teach on old dog.... anything...

Them: "There is something in my eye..."
    Us: "It's your finger..."

• Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    3dcad said:

I have discovered a few bugs with OS. I was informed by email today the problems were actually related and will be fixed in the next update.

A few years ago I encountered a bug with SolidWorks almost every time I used it. I'd get on the phone with support, let them take over my computer so they could see it, then send them the files so they could work with it. I think I discovered about 15 bugs that year they claimed nobody else had ever seen.
    Well when did that decide to turn itself off..

I swear someone is writing random ones and zeros to your config files just to see what breaks next.
    HWM-Water Ltd
    I have a theory...

I would just like to say:-

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Why can't all supposed so called cloud software systems work as well as Onshape? 

Just sat through numerous updates on multiple machines just for my shared cloud templates (that I can see within their software) be utterly ignored.  Use templates, and there are none to use.  Open templates, and a browser opens pointing to the local drives.  FFS. 

Oh and then it warned me again that the file I was trying to open was saved in a newer version of the software and I quote "There might be problems".  No kidding Sherlock.

And then it went offline mode and just showed empty folders in the cloud...

Have now gone back to the one PC that it works on. 

Thank-you A******k for making an already aggravating day borderline unbearable.

Owen S.

HWM-Water Ltd
    edited October 2018
    Hey solidworks can you import a 3D dwg?     OOOhhh She's tryin!

Common baby you can do it!

Whew... yea I know solidworks.. rectangles are tough!

Now... well she let me save it?..

Here's a new one.. I haven't touched part templates in years.
    Somehow all the parts of my project have gotten a corrupt mass precision. The value is completely gone.

So now that I'm done with the project and I'm filling in all the names/qty/stocksize.. now I have to also go into the document properties of each part and set the value back to 2 place...

Probably the same problem that corrupt all of our titleblocks recently.. All the blocks have an error because it is trying to reference a part property we removed 4 years ago. What the F would cause all this stuff to break out of the blue? I swear SW puts a half-life in their software, if you don't upgrade fast enough they start destroying your files. (obviously not, but feels that way)

After doing some digging. These files corrupt today (backup from sunday was just fine). I think I may know what caused it.
    I did an assembly Visualization to get a qty for all the parts in the assembly. So apparently that may have been the thing that corrupt all the files. Seeings how I don't use that very often and it is the only thing that would have had the opportunity to scan all the parts in the assembly... So thanks SW for not only giving me bad qty information but also corrupting all the files at the same time...
    I guess that's not all.

Apparently my detailer is having problems today with these parts.
    I guess all the flat patterns decided to break, apparently he fixed it twice today already...

edited October 2018
    Well, on that note, it's time to go home I guess

Happy monday

It appears that it doesn't need to be solid works to suck - any file based system will do

I had to simply open & export one old model. So I went to open, everything fine, but I got notice that I'm running old version and should update since it was already few steps behind - so I did, since I wan't to follow Alibre's development

Then it ask me to close any open instances and like it always does 'Do you wan't to save changes?' All I did was open, maybe that's a change too - So I said NO..

Update went fine, then I see a new start window and almost got impressed and hit this nice new 'Recents' to open my model:

Feeling good, waiting  for my drawer to appear and resolve assembly mates: ... loading session ... accessing data.. rendering..

Ok, it's missing a piece but I'm sure it's fine after resolving mates'n'stuff.. since their still all red and it's loading..

WTF!! What happened to my model that was perfectly fine 3mins ago before update!! Why is it saying all those mates are suddenly over defined!!

Then I woke up in my bed all sweaty and wen't immediately to check that my Onshape subscription is still alive  :#
    Onshape wellcomed me with a note in corner that reported there has been update while I was away and there are some new features for me. Nice.

Then I quickly remodeled the drawer in multipart-studios and used feature script to add fixings with ease and finally insert fully functional drawers into frame in assembly.  Oh, how lucky I am that it was all just a bad dream ..
    //rami
    Thanks for posting, i was just about to look up this thread to post another, now it was front and center on the front page :D

Unfortunatly this is a WIN post for SW..
    I'm detailing a project right now, and it's been a while but I still think SW has Onshape beat here. The drag and drop parts into the page just lets you cruise thru drawing after drawing, without any concern about what part is next up. Also a few other things I hope OS comes out with (magnetic lines for baloons, live rotate views, snap dimensioning, constrained free sketch, crop views, etc)

I have faith in OS but it is still tiedious feeling yet.

there were a few SW fails in here too though, no redo... lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U06xXqGhteA
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @john_mcclary - Yup, still room for a couple of tweaks in Onshape drawings ;)

That said, please tell me you've met us half way and have submitted enhancement requests for;
    magnetic dim/annotation lines
    live rotate views
    snap (magnetic) dimensioning
    sketching
    crop view
    ???

Yes we already know about these, but i can't stress enough that the process really is as simple as adding up the requests/votes for each enhancement!

That wasn't really just for you, that was directed at everyone! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    Yea I do believe I've asked for all of the above at one point or another, I'll do a parse and fill in any blanks with new requests if it turns out I only "thought" I filled out those requests (or procrastinated). This was to show Onshape more of the "feel" I'm hoping for in the end. Anyone who ever pays attention to my forum rants (hopefully with a grain of salt) will know how strongly drawings influence my CAD rank. (lack of a better term at the moment)
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @john_mcclary - Not offended and you're right, those are all very important/useful things. I have my own list, but don't want to influence the discussion here. The 'lecture' was for anyone that didn't know the process. I do read your stuff (as do most of us) and like most of the people here, even the rants are constructive! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    Here is my searched list for Drawing improvement:

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9705/duplicate-sheets-in-muti-sheet-drawings#latest
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9682/drag-and-drop-from-tab-manager#latest
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/8776/omit-columns-from-bom-templates#latest
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/8716/drawing-view-right-click-menu-part-properties#latest
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/8380/bend-lines-notes-in-bottom-view-of-flat-pattern-in-drawings#latest
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/7104/add-shortcut-toolbar-to-drawings#latest :completed:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/6660/smart-dimension-tool-in-drawings#latest :completed:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/6001/change-border-template#latest
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/8524/ux-improvement-drawings-insert-view

Magnetic lines was a post in another thread, Onshape added the ability to align balloons vertically or horizontally, I requested align ISO or parallel to geometry. Here is new IR to get that rolling:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/10715/align-balloons-parallel-to-geometry/p1?new=1

New Quick snap dimension tool:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/10716/drawing-dimension-quick-placement-tool/p1?new=1

Existing IR's I have voted on:
    Crop view by @Dirk_Price https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/5794/crop-view-in-drawings
    Sketch in drawings @bryan_lagrangehttps://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9784/sketching-in-drawings
    Move Drawing Sheets between drawings @michael_rattnerhttps://forum.onshape.com/discussion/7211/move-sheets-between-drawings
    Drawing Layers: @stephen_elting  https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/4445/drawing-layers
    align crooked ordinate dims: @chrisjh777https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/7359/ability-to-snap-ordinate-dimensions-to-horizontal-or-vertical

• Bill_MartinBill_Martin Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    OMG I just helped my son with a Creo project.  I could not believe how cumbersome every little thing is.  Not intuitive.  Horrific experience.
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    OMG I just helped my son with a Creo project.  I could not believe how cumbersome every little thing is.  Not intuitive.  Horrific experience.
    I use Onshape for teaching solid modeling and Creo Simulate for analysis (for now). Nearly every single day that we are doing FEA with Creo I hear the words "Creo sucks." They all want to know why we cannot just use Onshape. The reason, I tell them, is that there is not yet a good FEA app for Onshape that does what I want in an easy to use manner and is priced for educational use.
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @brian_brady I don't know if Simsolid have educational plans. Maybe @KenWelch could tell us
    But SimScale is free for public projects
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Stefan_DMSStefan_DMS Member Posts: 48 PRO
    Is there a case to teach students some of the worst CAD packages as they will likely see them in industry? TBH I would hate having to go from Onshape to "old school CAD". Like totally use Onshape for fundamentals but actually spend a bit of time in SolidWorks or Creo for a couple weeks?