Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

#TraditionalCADsucks

Comments

• brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    Is there a case to teach students some of the worst CAD packages as they will likely see them in industry? TBH I would hate having to go from Onshape to "old school CAD". Like totally use Onshape for fundamentals but actually spend a bit of time in SolidWorks or Creo for a couple weeks? 
    In order to do that our department would have to maintain and PAY for a license to one of those programs. No sense in switching to free if you still have the bill to pay. 
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    @brian_brady I don't know if Simsolid have educational plans. Maybe @KenWelch could tell us
    But SimScale is free for public projects
    I've contacted Ken multiple times before about plans with either the answer that they were working on it or no response at all. Not an issue now since he sold Simsolid to Altair. 

I've tried SimScale and have been less than impressed thus far. Maybe I need to try it again. 
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @brian_brady - As Eduardo said, one of the nice things about Simscale is that it is free for public documents - this is a great way to try-out/learn what is in actuality a very high end multi-physics app.
    I also like Simsolid, very innovative.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Stefan_DMSStefan_DMS Member Posts: 48 PRO
    In order to do that our department would have to maintain and PAY for a license to one of those programs. No sense in switching to free if you still have the bill to pay. 
    Totally makes sense, free is hard to beat, especially when, in my humble opinion, Onshape does CAD better than most. 
  • thought I had better save before I printed. now I have to rebuild to show views again, two of us waiting as another user wants write access to a part but are waiting for rebuild so I can save and close.   Don't you love "SeldomWorks"

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Found out Solidworks pretends to override a bend radius, after all this time I never double checked the radius after rebuilding (ctrl+q)
    No wonder parts have been off every once in a while...
    Mystery solved... SW still sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HFiwMv5J4o
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome @john_mcclary :D
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited December 2018
    Nice job, but now how do you bill them for 500 hours engineering time?
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    They asked that too as a matter of fact. The look on my boss's face was clasic. ;)
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    edited December 2018
    @john_mcclary
    How many lines was the FeatureScript, and how long did it take to generate? :)
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    Here is a weird one, doesn't hurt anything, but still a new glitch I haven't seen before.

The affect is different depending on which surface you select to rotate, some are fine.
    The center of rotation is even in a weird place off some surfaces... Solidworks...  ;)

Had to record with a cell phone, because the screen capture frame rate didn't show the ghosting affect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L68YM3XR5qY
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DrunkWorks ;)
    StonedWorks
    HWM-Water Ltd
    We usually call it SometimesWorks or SolidQuerks
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    That's pretty funny!
    In a german forum Autodesk Inventor is often called DIVA.
    Especially when it is making trouble  :#
    FFS... all I want is a 45° dimension SolidWorks....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf3A6Sm9YuQ
    Just lost power due to ice storm, I'm the only one who can keep working cause i'm on Onshape. Still wondering if this a perk. Lol
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    @john_mcclary
    How do you work without power, do you have a laptop? And how do get internet if the router has no power or do you use mobile internet?
    Tell 'em they can work form home, all they've got to do is lug their CAD stations down the icy paths, into their cars and take over the dining table!
    HWM-Water Ltd
    @john_mcclary
    How do you work without power, do you have a laptop? And how do get internet if the router has no power or do you use mobile internet?
    mobile

Yea, said ef-it    eucher time

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @john_mcclary
    I think there is! Have you looked at software called 'fusion' which is kind of cloud ish based cad ish software  :D:D:D

(with all respect to fusion users, I'm sure it's :+1: piece of software - you can =) too)

//rami
    It's about as cloud based as a submarine. 🦀
    That said it does have some good points.
    HWM-Water Ltd
    It's about as cloud based as a submarine. 🦀
    LOL it's funny 'case its true
    edited March 2019
    sw.... Reminds be of the paper jam from Office Space...

Why does it say unsolvable when it is solved!

Edit:
    OH figured it out... I changed the stock width to .75" which made the construction line to the origin for centering the sketch zero-length...
    I guess I got used to Onshape just not caring if sketch lines are zero length, and just working as you expect.
    lol
    Put this one off long enough I suppose...

Begin the download and go home...
    Then spend a few hours in the morning installing...
    I hate this part...