Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Rubiks Cube mate / animation

2»

Comments

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    That's crazy but very cool
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    If you designed only those trajectories themselves it would already deserved admiration  :)
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Those are some funky looking Christmas decorations there.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    :star::star: :star: :star: :star: 

Wow, it actually runs great! 

And I'm glad you got this out of your system, I'm sure you will be better father, husband and citizen now =)

Definitely a model of the month (or even model of the year). Onshape should make a blog post of this, I've already had fantasies how to implement 'your technology' to animate furniture assemblies in Onshape.
    //rami
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    Maybe ask @NeilCooke
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Great work John. Glad you finished this.  You are now probably also the biggest comput power user on the Onshape server. 
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    I think that still goes to that single part studio conveyor showcased in philip's performance video XD
    Ok, I haven't seen that one, I'll have to take a look. Does it show examples of workflows to speed models up?
    Yea, some pretty good ones, a few of which I used in this document. Worth a look.
    edited February 2020
    It's 3am... I can't sleep...

So, Let's try and make animations in Onshape even simpler... Remember how I had the sketch grid, and a crap load of sketches for each path.
    Let's try it in a spreadsheet this time.
    And how about some easing curves to smooth out the animation steps as well  <3o:)
    While we're at it, lets get rid of all that duplication of effort and minimize tabs and sketches and make it re-usable:

Sneak Peek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqgWhkS6OPA
  • steve_maiettasteve_maietta Member Posts: 54 PRO
    @john_mcclary
      Very inspiring.  I'm working with students this month dealing with all sorts of mechanisms and animations.  (Hence all these posts as of late).
    In the rubix cube project, a few questions if you don't mind.
    0- How do you get the "pusher" (pointing towards the end of the track). to move the pointer (pointing down towards track)
     1- How do you get the pointers to stay vertical (pointing down at the track) as they slide along (tangent) the track?
    2- How do you translate their vertical motion to a rack and pinion mate?  If I put a slider mate on the pointer it can go up and down, but then gets locked into place on the track. No slider mate, then I cant use the R&P relation..

The pointer I noticed has two mate connectors at one of its corners,,,  I assuming these help in the above situations?

thanks for clarifying this a bit!!!  
    ~Steve

Document I'm using to try this out

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/bec83899b97e0f93439c33bf/w/855b74a0d979f601d5d530f6/e/3d9c45deef0239701c47e85e
    I have a vertical slider attachedtto a fixed part or each axis of each part. That same part also has a Tangent that touches the guide track.

One of the videos above explains the entire process, it's a long videe, but i walk through adding one of the animation steps
  • brayden_mcdonaldbrayden_mcdonald Member Posts: 4 EDU
    For me the animation doesn't work :/ why is that maybe?

It takes a minute or so to start moving